Author Topic: William Herbert Hughes abt 1896 to ?  (Read 21386 times)

Offline PhilMick

Re: William Herbert Hughes abt 1896 to ?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2016, 04:21:10 pm »
Dear all
I 'm still away - thank you for your great research.
I'll be able to go through it and update my wife's family tree when I get back next week.
Phil

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 03:32:12 pm »
Hugo - I am a bit puzzled that the Banns Register is from St Andrew's as at that time the church was in the parish of Llanrhos/Eglwysrhos.  The clergy who have signed the book to confirm the reading of the banns were both curates in Llandudno Parish in 1922. I seem to recall being told that church registers were sent to the National Library of Wales when they were complete. That practice may have changed now that County Archives have become more established. Of course the St Andrew's books would have transferred to Llandudno when the boundary was adjusted.

I went back to the Archives and had a look at the index on Banns of Marriage.    There is nothing listed for St Andrews Church although there is one listing for Holy Trinity    1892- 1970,     
The one I looked at previously was under the heading of Llandudno and covered the years 1912-1934 at ref CEP 17/1/15 so that must be for the Parish of Llandudno

The only reference I could find in the Llandudno Street index for some one called Byatt  was in the 1911 index.
This showed an Alfred Henry Byatt  shopman   living at 1  Gloddaeth Villas   Bodafon Street   Llandudno.   Now that cottage was within the old boundary of Eglwysrhos,     I don't know when the boundaries changed but I think that it was after 1922

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 08:05:49 am »
Back at home now.

I would like to summarise what we have found out about William, so far, with your help!

Actual DOB: 29/4/1896.
School in Liverpool.
School in Llandudno.
Served in 1WW - on Roll of Honour in Llandudno.
Length of service during 1WW: 5 years 157 days.
Service in Territorials.
Marriage to Ellen E Byatt at St Pauls, Craig y don in 1922.

I'm having difficulty finding William's military history through Ancestry. I hope that seeing the Roll of Honour later in the week will give me his service numbers etc.

I can't link Ellen to Alfred Henry Byatt in Llandudno. The possible links are to a family in Dilhorne Staffordshire. I've ordered their marriage certificate so that will help.

Thanks again.

Offline Jack

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 02:16:21 pm »
Unfortunately the Roll of Honour does not give service numbers. I hadn't noticed when I looked at the RoH the first time that there is a third man (brother?) listed as living at 15 Alexandra Road - John Howard Hughes - serving with the King's Liverpool Regiment.

I tried to look on the WW1 'medal rolls' to find William Herbert Hughes but failed! - there are none listed as serving with the RWF. Therefore I imagine he is listed simply as William Hughes and there were 122 William Hughes' in the RWF in WW1.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 05:22:28 pm »
I managed to have a look at the Marriage Register at St Paul's today.  I found the details of the marriage which are:

Date: 3rd October 1922

William Herbert Hughes, aged 25, bachelor, a labourer of 7 Alexandra Road, Llandudno. His father: John William Hughes, labourer.

Ellen Elizabeth Byatt, aged 23, spinster.  No occupation given.  of Baron Hill, Great Orme.  Father: William Byatt, a miner.

This will hopefully fill in a couple of gaps. As we thought, William was living in Llanrhos Parish and Ellen in Llandudno Parish.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 06:17:53 pm »
Cambrian, that's a really great find and it's a coincidence that she lived in Baron Hill Great Orme as we had some other person whose relative lived there.
Baron Hill is in St Beuno's Road Great Orme and if my old memory is working ok I think that the person there was Robert Hughes.
I may be wrong on the name but who ever I found hit the local bobby and was had up for the offence,

I'll try and remember the other case and look at any notes that I made.   It might make a connection with PhilMick

Offline Hugo

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 06:52:02 pm »
Now this could be interesting for PhilMick if he looks at Geneology and Research at pg 2.      Under the heading of Margaret Ann Pearl Hughes was a posting by Karenjadejoy  and it shows a photo of her relation Robert Hughes and his wife outside Baron Hill.      If PhilMick looks at that there may be some info there that can help him.

There is also another posting under "Hughes Family"  by CFR  and there may be some connection there as the Hughes family lived in Kings Road ( a continuation of Alexander Road)

I've had a quick look at Margaret Ann Pearl Hughes and now think that it's just a coincidence but the postings for that and the Hughes Family may mean something to PhilMick

Offline Meleri

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 01:02:43 pm »
I have found Ellen Elizabeth Byatt's birth in 1900 Dilhorne, Staffordshire. Her family are living at Godley Brook, Dilhorne, Blyth Bridge, Staffordshire on the 1901&1911 Census. Father William Byatt Coal Miner/Hewer born 1870 Tean, Staffordshire. Mother Harriet Ann Byatt born 1871 Cheadle, Staffordshire & 9 children including Ellen.

Hugo the people living at Baron Hill, Great Orme in 1911 are Robert Hughes born 1836 Llangefni, his wife Ann born 1840 Llandudno & son William born 1887 Llandudno, I can't see a connection though.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2016, 01:15:14 pm »
You're right Meleri, it appears that it's no more than a coincidence.   It's a shame really because it's nice to link up families on the forum.
I don't subscribe to Ancestry or FMP  so I use the computer in the Archives if I'm looking for someone but haven't done so for William Herbert yet.
It's still a mystery for him after 1922 but I'm sure something will come to light in the future.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2016, 05:00:03 pm »
Hugo/Meleri - I also had a look in St Paul's baptism register in case they had any children who were Christened in the church but couldn't see anything.  Maybe they moved away ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2016, 05:20:45 pm »
Cambrian,  that is a possibility and after the aftermath of WW 1  they could even have emigrated.   However with William's full name and DOB the mystery should be traceable on a computer.
In the Conwy Archives there are a few things missing such as Burial Indexes and the Archivists think that these records may be elsewhere with the boundary changes.
As with a lot of searches sometimes a bit of luck is needed and then things fall into place.

Meleri,  I did find a record of a William Herbert Hughes in the Colwyn Bay Street index.     In 1929 he lived at Colwyn Terrace Old Colwyn and in 1939 and 1955 there was a WHH  living in Endsleigh Road Old Colwyn.
Is there any way other than a Register of Electors that we can check on that person?

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2016, 04:53:28 pm »
Hi

Can't find any links to our Hughes family of Baron Hill.

William Byatt is father of a family in Dilhorne - just east of Stoke.

It's interesting that he, and some of the sons, were coal miners. Is this linked to the copper mines in some way? I can't find answer to why Ellen Elizabeth was living at Baron Hill.

Also, interesting that William's marriage address is 7 Alexander Road - his sister's husband, Joseph Herbert Hodson, at this address also came from the same area of Stoke.

Incidently, William's mother, Mary Grace Jones, was born at Ty Newydd, on the Orme, on the 25th September 1864. Her parents were from Abergwyngreggan and Llangwstennin.

The plot thickens.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2016, 05:10:07 pm »
Cambrian & Hugo I think you could be right about them moving away or emigrating.
There is only 1 William Hughes on the register for the whole of Britain with that Birth date, but his middle name is O. Occupation ARP Sandbagger and it states he is single. He is living in the same house as a married woman Kate Barber.
Perhaps if we had Ellen's full date of birth we would have had more chance of finding her.
Hugo I have looked for the WHH on the 1939 register you mention living in Endsleigh Road, Old Colwyn but no luck and I have no way of checking the 1929 Colwyn Terrace find, sorry.

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2016, 05:25:40 pm »
I managed an hour in the Llandudno archive when we visited on Tuesday - it's better than a sweetie shop.

We looked into what family members were 1WW soldiers:

My wife's grandmother, Jane Hughes, side of the family living at 15 Alexander Road where:

Hugh Jones originally of Bryngwran. This was Jane's first husband. Killed on the 23rd July 1917, Near Arrass, Pays de Calais. He's on the Llandudno roll of Honour but is on Bryngwran's war memorial.

Her brothers: John Howard, William Herbert and Robert Edward also served and are on the Llandudno roll of honour.

Jane later married William Owen of 147 Mostyn Street, he served at and survived Gallipoli.

William's brother Enoch Owen was killed on the 27 July 1916. He's buried at Abbeville, Departement de la Somme, Picardie. Enoch is on the war memorial and the roll of honour.

Two more brothers also served John Edward and Edward (Ned) Owen. These are on the Llandudno Roll of Honour.

There is a William Owen on the memorial but he is from a different family.

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2016, 05:34:59 pm »
William and Ellen's marriage record shows that Ellen was 23 on her marriage date of 25 Oct 1922?

However, Free BMD gives 1st quarter of 1900?

I cant find anything post their wedding date.

There a few tree's on Ancestry that refer to Ellen but none show her dob, marriage or death - so, I think possibly emigrated.