Author Topic: William Herbert Hughes abt 1896 to ?  (Read 21398 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: William Herbert Hughes abt 1896 to ?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 05:18:22 pm »
That's interesting information Jack,I shall have to dig out my ancestors military records and have a look to see why they were discharged. I have a feeling one of them had Paragraph 7.
Hugo I got the information from Find My Past website. Oddly enough I found the Banns of marriage were taken 10th/17th & 24th September but the name was Ellen E Byatt but the marriage was Eleanor Elizabeth Byatt. The marriage register stated the marriage was registered in the 4th quarter which is Oct/Nov/Dec 1922. Perhaps you will be able to have a look at the register in the Archive and get more information.
I also got the military information from FMP, but only the 1 year service in the territorials. I have been unable to find the RWF record.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 05:36:12 pm »
Thanks Meleri,    In the Archives they have Ancestry and Find My Past websites on the computers there and as they are free to use I tend to go there rather than the Library which is also free.
If they have a Marriage register for 1922 in the Archives then I can have a look at that and also other street indexes etc.
As you have already found the Parish of his wife and the dates of the marriage it makes a search that much easier.   $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 04:56:11 pm »
I spent some time at the Conwy Archives today but had no luck in my search for William Herbert Hughes.      Both Eleanor and William lived in the old Parish of Eglwysrhos so I had a look at the Llanrhos Marriage record for the whole of the 1920's but there is no record of a marriage at St Hilary's Church.    Just in case they married in Trinity Church Llandudno instead I looked at the marriage register for the Church but again could find no record of a marriage there.
There was another Marriage Register for St Georges Church but I didn't look at that register.
I also looked at the Llandudno Advertiser but I could see no report of the marriage recorded in the paper.
Finally I looked at the Street Indexes for Llandudno but there was no record there for  W H Hughes, but in the 1939 and 1955 street indexes for Colwyn Bay there was an entry for William Herbert Hughes living at Warren Point  Endsleigh Road Old Colwyn  (the 1955 index just showed him at No1 Endsleigh Road )
Unfortunately I couldn't establish if this is the person we are looking for.

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 05:27:13 pm »
Sorry everyone. Had to travel abroad expectantly.

I appreciate all the replies.

My wife's great grandparents lived at 15 Alexandeer Road. Various members of the family lived there after that.

Her grandparents and mother moved into Mowbray Road in 1926 and that was her mother's home until she died last year. Her grandparents where William and Jane Owen.

I have a public ancestry tree on which William Herbert is a part. Please feel free to look at it.

I notice from other like topics that there may be others Hughes family members on the forum. Hugo, are your family close?
Phil

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 06:12:24 pm »
Hugo

Just a thought.  I wonder if they might have married either at St Paul's Church or the old St Andrew's Church both of which were in the Llanrhos parish at that time ?  St Andrew's was almost "cheek by jowl" with Alexandra Road.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 08:21:32 pm »
Cambrian, that's a good possibility and one I hadn't thought of.    However wouldn't the marriage have to be recorded in the Parish Register and those were the records I was looking at?
I remember doing a search for a Baptism in St Andrews Church and that was in 1922 also so  it's a possibility.
So it's back to the drawing board and a visit to the Archives, which may be next week.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 10:47:00 pm »

I notice from other like topics that there may be others Hughes family members on the forum. Hugo, are your family close?
Phil

My Mother's surname was also Hughes before she married my Father so I have a lot of relatives in the local area but unfortunately there is no connection with your Hughes family.
The Archivist had a look on his computer for W H Hughes and Eleanor Byatt but nothing appeared on his computer so for the moment William Herbert is still a mystery

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 09:12:30 am »
Hugo - each place of worship would normally have its own register of marriages. Also, the Vicar of Llanrhos would have had his own book of marriage certificates and an official Register issued by the Registrar General as he effectively had the power of a Superintendent Registrar and had the title of "Surrogate" - this only applies to Church in Wales Vicars or Rectors.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 03:55:30 pm »
Thanks very much for that info Cambrian, it's really appreciated as I'm sure that it will be handy for everyone to be aware of.    I did go back to the Archives today and although they did have Baptism records for 1922 etc they did not have a Marriage Register at the Archives until 1933.   I did look at the Wedding Banns and had a photo copy done.
Just in case,  I also looked at the Marriage Register for St George's Church for 1922 but W H Hughes is not listed there.
I also looked at all the Street Indexes there and the only William Herbert Hughes that is listed and we are unaware of is in the 1929 Colwyn Bay  Street Index and it shows a person of that name living at   3,  Colwyn Terrace    Old Colwyn.
The Burial Indexes for Colwyn Bay are not in Llandudno but may be in Ruthin so I couldn't follow that up

Offline Meleri

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 05:41:30 pm »
Hugo,

I have looked up the William Herbert Hughes living at Warren Point on the 1939 Register and he isn't who we are looking for, that one was born 26/1/1885 Occupation Bank Clerk. I have no way of checking the latest one you found in 1929.  :(

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 06:26:51 pm »
I think I have a result.

I checked the North Wales BMD site and lo and behold:

William Herbert Hughes was married at St Paul's Church, Craig y Don in 1922 to Ellen Elizabeth Byatt.  The Conwy Register Office reference is CO8/1/13.

Their full details will be on the certificate if a copy is obtained.

Hugo - one thing did slightly intrigue me is that the Banns Register says William is of the "Parish of Eglwysrhos" but that Ellen is "of this Parish" which could implies they were not be of the same parish. As the clergy who have signed the certificate were both curates assigned to Llandudno, it seems the Banns Register is Llandudno Parish's and that Ellen lived therein.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 07:14:34 pm »
Good find Cambrian!
I have found similar details on Familysearch, but a different reference, so i thought I would put it on
here anyway :-

William H Hughes
mentioned in the record of Byatt and William H Hughes
Name   William H Hughes
Event Type   Marriage Registration
Registration Quarter   Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year   1922
Registration District   Conway
County   Caernarvonshire
Event Place   Conway, Caernarvonshire, Wales
Spouse Name (available after 1911)   Byatt
Volume   11B
Page   915
Line Number   91

William H Hughes probably married one of the following people
 Ellen E  Byatt

Offline Hugo

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 10:57:19 pm »
Good finds Cambrian and Rhuddlan.     $good$

One thing I didn't make clear was that there was no Marriage Register at the Archives for St Andrews Church in 1922.    The Banns of Marriage was however taken from  the Register at St Andrews Church in 1922.
Now St Andrew's Church I believe was in the Parish of Eglwysrhos so both Eleanor and William lived in the Parish of Eglwysrhos.

There was no Marriage Register at the Archives for St Paul's Church though but that again was in the Parish of Eglwysrhos.    Her name in the Banns was Eleanor  yet it says Ellen in the marriage.  I don't know the reason for that but I have seen that change of name done before.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 07:58:15 pm »
Hugo - I am a bit puzzled that the Banns Register is from St Andrew's as at that time the church was in the parish of Llanrhos/Eglwysrhos.  The clergy who have signed the book to confirm the reading of the banns were both curates in Llandudno Parish in 1922. I seem to recall being told that church registers were sent to the National Library of Wales when they were complete. That practice may have changed now that County Archives have become more established. Of course the St Andrew's books would have transferred to Llandudno when the boundary was adjusted.

This is a bit arcane and doesn't subtract from the information gleaned regarding William and Ellen.

Incidentally, I had an aunt of similar vintage whose name registered at birth was Ellen but in adult life styled herself Elinor or Eleanor! I think this seems to have been a not uncommon practice in this neck of the woods but the reason is a mystery.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 10:45:15 pm »
I'll double check the Banns Register when I next go to the Archives Cambrian and let you know the result.    What I should also have looked at in the Street Index is the address of a Byatt.   

It's an unusual name for that period and they did have a Street Index there for 1922 which is the year that Ellen got married.      A  Wedding Certificate would probably show Ellen's address though.     As  they got married in St Paul's Church, I was wondering if she lived in Craig Y Don somewhere and the Street Index could have helped there.

I'm sure that we came across a similar thing with an Eleanor/Ellen for a Williams family on the forum last year, so it it's not an uncommon practise as you have said.