Author Topic: Community Dances.  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
Community Dances.
« on: June 15, 2016, 05:02:34 pm »
Hi.

When I was budding (not yet seeding) there were two or three community venues providing entertainment and dancing for the yoof of the area. Three I can just about reach through one of the holes in my brain are: Penrhyn NEW Hall in Penrhyn Bay; The YWCA in Llandudno Junction; and the Llandudno Youth Centre. Anyone remember these and who colonised them $elvis$ ΒΆΒΆ##.

Good luck Wales  $walesflag$

Mike.
Micox

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Community Dances.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 05:46:07 pm »
Hi Mike,  good to see you posting again and hope that you are keeping well  over there.     I went to the Llandudno Youth Club but didn't go to the other two places you mentioned.     The  Youth Centre building is in a mess now and Mostyn Estates  want it demolished and flats built in its place but the first planning application was turned down.   When I used to go to the Youth Centre the music was from a record player situated in Dewi Jones' office and can't remember any live music there although Lou from West Shore did come down some times but I can't remember if he played there or not
I've posted an old photo of the Llandudno Youth Club and there are a number of players in it from Cwm Place so get those old grey cells working and see who you knew.   

Sadly Binky,  my cousin who lived in Australia passed away recently and you knew him from your days in West Shore and Cwm Place   

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 06:30:36 pm »
 &shake& Another old friend gone. I was sad about Binky, thanks for letting me know. He was a childhood friend, although we fought once or twice. He lived in Kings Place then, near the Evanses (Cliff et al). Too many going now - he's getting closer with every sweep of that scythe.

I did participate in the discussions around the Youth Club on the 'You Know You're from...' Facebook site some time ago. I was a regular there and used to DJ on some nights (always a lousy dancer) when we had the radiogram in the gym hall (pre Rock). And yes, Lou get his first bass there - we unearthed an old cello from the store cupboard and Lou fitted it up with piano strings - tore his fingers to pieces. While we were at it, Eddie (Roberts, Alex Rd) salvaged an old snare and bass drum from the same cupboard. That was the start of our band, The Blue Notes, and we did eventually play at the Youth Centre. Met one of my first girl friends there too, Brenda Mellors (can't remember if her Dad was a gamekeeper!) from Caroline Road. She was tall and beautiful with red hair. Don't know what the hell she saw in me! Did photography with Humphrey (great darkroom equipment) but never got around to canoeing with cousin Len.

And the photo - I've seen it before and knew all the lads then. The cells though have got distinctly greyer and quite brittle since then. I recognise Jeff Berrington, Joey Jones, John Griffin, Eifion Owen? Rhuddlan Avenue, I'm sure I'd know more if I studied it long enough but that's n ever Tommy Kippling on the end is it? I suspect you're one generation too young to know the other venues but I hope someone does.
Micox

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:49:56 pm »
Tommy Kipling wasn't in that team, wish that he had been and Archie too!
Back row L  is Simon Hughes   Back row R  is Dave Rawling.        I'm on the bottom L  and Joe Jones on the bottom R

We all have some good memories from those days at the Youth Centre,  it's a shame to see the building in that condition now.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 08:45:10 am »
I think its Jeff Berrington with the ball and to his left Ray Breeze. Both Cwm Place lads.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 09:29:15 am »
Just to complete the line up is John Noke back row 2nd L ,  Glyn Lister back row 2nd R and front row Phil Jones 2nd L