Author Topic: Llandudno & Colwyn Bay Electric Railway (Tramway)  (Read 48212 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Llandudno & Colwyn Bay Electric Railway (Tramway)
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 10:21:51 am »
Good stuff, Trojan.  $good$ Was that little shed visible to the right of the toastrack tram something to do with the Tramway?

I'm not sure Dave. I thought it may have been a ticket office for the tramway, however, according to Dewi Williams, tickets were issued by the tram conductor.

http://dewi.ca/trains/lcber/tickets.html

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 12:11:06 pm »
When the trams closed my father brought home one of those hand-held ticket racks and a ticket punch machine which allowed me to play as a ticket conductor.

I assume they must have been giving them away at the time.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 12:26:16 pm »
Was it for the man who had to change the collection pole when the tram wanted to go the other way?    >>>

There's a thought Yorkie. Perhaps it was attached to a trailer and was pulled to the West Shore and Colwyn Bay terminus' by the Austin A70?  :laugh:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 01:09:52 pm »
I well remember the trolley buses (dahn sahf) when I was a kid and at busy junctions or termini there certainly was a person doing the switching at peak times.   Other than that switching was done by the conductor.   Definitely no requirement for any form of velocopede!    L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Trojan

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 05:54:37 pm »
I well remember the trolley buses (dahn sahf) when I was a kid and at busy junctions or termini there certainly was a person doing the switching at peak times.   Other than that switching was done by the conductor.   Definitely no requirement for any form of velocopede!    L0L

Is that why you're off your trolley now?  :D

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 07:41:03 pm »
We had 'effin' trams also wot 'ad to do the same thing.    ;)

Off mi trolley?  Not yet - still have all my faculties!   May not use them in the fashion expected by some people but that's wot makes us all different and unique!    WWW

There is only one of me - and "Thank God for that!"   most people say!  Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 09:08:12 am »
During busy periods they used to have an extra conductor to collect fares.
If I remember correctly he used to go as far as the North Western Hotel and return to the Palladium corner.
Kiosk may have been a base for him and the Inspector.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 10:36:30 am »
The taller tram seen here in Gloddaeth st, No 23 is an ex-Darwin tram which was fitted with Westinghouse air brakes.

Only a handful of Llandudno & Colwyn Bay Tramway drivers were qualified to drive the trams fitted with air brakes.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 10:40:58 am »
This is what the controller would have looked like on tram 23. The handle on the left which was used to control the tram was an English Electric Dick Kerr type DB1K33E.

In 1917 Dick, Kerr & Co., a partnership of Glaswegian merchants W. B. Dick and John Kerr, acquired the United Electric Car Company, a trams manufacturer of Preston, Lancashire. In 1918, The English Electric Company, Limited (EE) was formed. In 1918 EE took over Dick, Kerr & Co.

The handle on the right is the Westinghouse air brake.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 02:25:02 am »
Gloddaeth Street at the turn of the 20th century, showing one of the early trams. Edge's photographic studio, Marie Et Cie and Hooson's Corner can be seen on the right running from Bodhyfryd Road to Mostyn Street. Also noticeable is the once popular Clarence Hotel.

The tramway first came into operation in 1907.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 02:54:07 am »
An early tram No 6 passing the Carlton, Stange &Co and Briggs & Co.

The pony and trap heading for Upper Mostyn Street belonged to the town crier, who also worked as a luggage porter, transporting luggage from the railway station or pier to the resort's various hotels.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 03:14:04 am »
Gloddaeth Street circa 1949. Marie Et Cie has expanded by this time and today's Nigel Robert's newsagents was a chemist shop.

The curved rails can be clearly seen, where the trams turned into Mostyn Street. When the tramway first opened, a local Councillor apparently likened the noise to 'screeching Kilkenny cats' as the trams rounded the curve.  

Offline Trojan

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 03:33:18 am »
Gloddaeth Street again circa 1953 showing 'toast-rack' No 20 waiting to depart. The man chatting to the woman alongside the tram is Inspector A. M. Jones. The driver seen walking on the right of the tram is Mr Richard Hughes, better known as 'Farmer Dick'.

M&J's grocery store can be seen next-door to David Robert's shoe shop.

Offline RichieC

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2011, 07:57:36 am »
Trojan, is is alright with you if I provide a link elsewhere to your posting No.42? It has a side-on view of the Odeon, you see. Some of my cinema contacts would even go gooey-eyed with just the "O" of "Odeon" visible!

Some more of my planned cinema and Llandudno-on-film postings in due course BTW.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2011, 08:05:16 am »
Trojan, is is alright with you if I provide a link elsewhere to your posting No.42? It has a side-on view of the Odeon, you see. Some of my cinema contacts would even go gooey-eyed with just the "O" of "Odeon" visible!

Some more of my planned cinema and Llandudno-on-film postings in due course BTW.

No problem Ritchie.  :)