Author Topic: Restaurants  (Read 11099 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Restaurants
« on: May 23, 2016, 11:27:59 am »
Started this thread to cover Restaurants that are outside the local area..

Went to La Fattoria in Chester on Saturday. Wonderful authentic Italian service and great food. It's always busy so booking is advisable.

http://www.lafattoriachester.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186233-d1500785-Reviews-La_Fattoria-Chester_Cheshire_England.html

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 03:05:02 pm »
I've not been to the Criccieth Dylan's yet but on my way over to Anglesey last week I called in to the Menai Bridge one for roasted local lobster with garlic butter and salad which was excellent.
If they get a site over in the Three Towns area especially one with a sea view then they will make a killing.
I like the way they serve food all day with no restricted lunch hours.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 11:03:14 pm »
I had a lunch there a few months ago and it was really nice, but I've heard conflicting reports on the Criccieth Restaurant.   Mostyn Estates has supposedly bought the Menai Bridge business but I'm wondering if there has been a deal done between the two parties for a suitable location in Llandudno because I know that Dylan's were interested in a restaurant in the local area

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 08:10:05 am »
Hugo, Mostyn Estates have bought the freehold of the site not the business.
They are the landlords.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 11:16:44 am »
Mr Tunnock,   thank you very much for putting the record straight.    I'm pleased that the business is still in the hands of Dylan's as they run a good restaurant.   Presumably there is a reason for that strange transaction between the two parties

I know that Dylan's want to expand into our area so it will be interesting to see what happens 

Offline hollins

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 04:44:20 pm »

Went to La Fattoria in Chester on Saturday. Wonderful authentic Italian service and great food. It's always busy so booking is advisable.

Here is one I like in Manchester. I also prefer to try and go to an independent rather than one of the big chains and Salvi's on John Dalton Street is one of my favourites. Today I was lucky enough to sit outside in the sunshine at their new'ish branch at the Corn Exchange and try their £12.95 lunch menu. The owner is from Naples and they fly in special mozzarella. They also have an excellent deli.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 06:42:53 pm »
We visited York recently and had an excellent 3 course meal for just £16.95 at the Rustique Restaurant. Fabulous value!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186346-d4684530-Reviews-Rustique_Lendal-York_North_Yorkshire_England.html

Offline hollins

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 05:21:56 pm »
We went out for lunch today to celebrate Hugo's birthday. Ha! Any excuse!
To us the Tyddyn Llan restaurant in Llandrillo is the best for miles around.
Plaice goujons and lobster for me and roast lamb with barlotti beans for Mr H.
Did you ever go Ian?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 08:41:10 pm »
No;  we decided on Signatures and liked it so we didn't bother. Might get round to it in the Autumn.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 01:40:45 pm »
Hard to beat a Betty's breakfast!

Offline hollins

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 03:32:14 pm »
The San Carlo group are doing a bit of a take over with so many restaurants in Manchester but I do enjoy their offerings. This time I had the courgette fritters and lasagne in Bottega in Selfridges which was yummy.
They have also taken over the cafe (Gran Cafe) on the lower ground floor where the cakes looked delicious. Unfortunately Mr H was with me then and couldn't stand the loud music so we had to move on!
There is also San Carlo Pizza Madre opening soon opposite the main San Carlo restaurant on King Street.

Also tried Pho (Vietnamese restaurant) this time which is in the old Corn Exchange building. Different tasty food served by friendly staff happy to explain how to eat it!

Offline hollins

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 06:38:42 pm »
I was intrigued by Tom's tweets about the Marram Grass restaurant so on Sunday we made a reservation for Sunday lunch.
The restaurant is unusual not least because it is in a building resembling a shed and on a campsite!
We are getting good at dining at caravan parks now having dined at Signatures recently!
The printed menu is small with several specials on offer.
I had the potted crab to start which was served with a mini loaf of treacle soda bread, delicious.
The lobster for my main course was sweet and tasty and came from Rhosneigr.
The place is run by three brothers at their parents' campsite. The service was very friendly and informal.
Two of the brothers are chefs and the third one is front of house and was very personable.
One of the chefs Ellis is a finalist on the Great British Menu programme.
Sorry, I have tried several times to post photos but without success.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 09:30:02 am »
I was intrigued by Tom's tweets about the Marram Grass restaurant so on Sunday we made a reservation for Sunday lunch.
The restaurant is unusual not least because it is in a building resembling a shed and on a campsite!
We are getting good at dining at caravan parks now having dined at Signatures recently!
The printed menu is small with several specials on offer.
I had the potted crab to start which was served with a mini loaf of treacle soda bread, delicious.
The lobster for my main course was sweet and tasty and came from Rhosneigr.
The place is run by three brothers at their parents' campsite. The service was very friendly and informal.
Two of the brothers are chefs and the third one is front of house and was very personable.
One of the chefs Ellis is a finalist on the Great British Menu programme.
Sorry, I have tried several times to post photos but without success.
We visited the Marram Grass a couple of years ago. As you say, an odd location but a very good meal, not to mention a warm welcome.

Offline hollins

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 09:08:14 am »
We have had some super meals on Anglesey in the last few days.
Sunday lunch at Marram Grass (one more try with the photos), a delicious breakfast at Pier House, Beaumaris, fish pie at Dylan's Menai Bridge, (can't wait to be eating that looking out towards Llandudno Pier) and last but not least we spent two evenings at the Midland Tapas and Wine Bar in Beaumaris. The food here was really tasty and the drinks very reasonably priced, (sorry no photos).
Just a few steps from our hut which in itself was a real novelty for us.
We were told there is a new head chef and a new menu.
Highly recommended.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 01:38:26 pm »
Had dinner last night with a few work colleagues at Paysanne in Deganwy. The food was very disappointing, there seemed little about it that was authentic French and it could have been just an average pub meal albeit at a much higher price. Service though was good.