Author Topic: Charlton Street boarding houses  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Lilutro

Charlton Street boarding houses
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:52:53 am »
Hi - my maternal great-grandparents - Sarah Davies and David Davies - ran a boarding house called Bod Trevor on Charlton Street, from 1905 (possibly earlier) to at least the mid 1920's. I'm in Llandudno this weekend to do some family research (among other things) and I really wanted to see the house that used to be Bod Trevor. The census for 1911 seems to put it next to Rydal Mount and then it moves on to Vaughan street - which suggests it was at the end of the road?
Does anyone have any idea of its whereabouts?
(Am loving this forum......but its rather addictive!)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Charlton Street boarding houses
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:19:22 am »
Evans Hotel?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:33:23 pm »
Lilutro,    I was in the Conwy Archives today and had a look in the Street Indexes there.   The indexes only cover certain years and just list one name per address ( usually the breadwinner)
I had a look at the 1911 and 1929 Street index and the street where your ancestors lived was officially called Back Charlton Street but those houses are now incorporated into Charlton Street.
The 1911 Street Index lists Mrs Sarah Davies and the 1929 Street Index lists David Davies (apartments)

Anyway Bod Trevor is at No 8 Charlton Street Llandudno.   It no longer has the name Bod Trevor on the house and has been converted into Flats.
It is the 4th house on the left as you walk from Vaughan Street and I have enclosed some photos for you that I took today.
No 8  ( Bod Trevor) is the grey coloured propert with a blue door.

Hope that you enjoy your weekend in Llandudno and that you are able to do some research.   The Conwy Archives has a load of info but is only open Mon to Thurs

Offline Lilutro

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 07:47:11 pm »
Gosh Hugo - I'm overwhelmed. The best I had hoped for was a number (maybe), but for you to have taken photos for me......well I'm speechless. Thank-you so very, very much. Its always good to see where our past relatives have lived but it has a bit more immediacy for me. My mother was born in Llandudno but raised in Nottingham and she spent most her school holidays in Bod Trevor and Gorphwysfa in Penrhynside (another one to find). It was a very special part of her childhood and she often spoke about it. It will be wonderful to see it for real.
I did realize that the archives would be closed but I think I'll have to save that for a separate solo trip. I don't think the rest of my family would appreciate me burying myself in the archives all day...that'll just be a special treat for me! Thank-you again.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 08:24:17 pm »
You are welcome Lilutro, I'm pleased that I could help in some way.    As for Gorphwysa in Penrhynside  I'm sure I've been past there on some walks I've done.
I'll have a think about it tomorrow as I'm off to the pub right now.         Z**

By the way if you are looking for any graves,  then the Archives will be the place to go.  Providing the grave has a headstone then they may be easy to find as the people are listed alphabetically.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 11:30:17 am »
Lilutro,  hope that you see this before you come on your weekend break.    I don't have a photo of Gorphwysfa but this is the full address of the cottage
Gorphwysfa, Bryn Gwynt Lane, Penrhynside, Llandudno LL30 3BP

If you are coming from Llandudno then Bryn Gwynt Lane is the first turning on the right and it's up a steep narrow lane