Author Topic: Charles Williams  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Berrybird

Charles Williams
« on: May 18, 2016, 04:08:03 pm »
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I am currently trying to find the cause of death of my Maternal Grandfather Charles Williams.  We have tried to order a death certificate in England but were told they couldn't find it. 

The details we have been able to find are that he was 41 years at his death on 17/06/47 and is buried in the cemetery on the Orme (not St Tudno's) next to his wife Elizabeth nee Edwards who died at 39 on 15/06/45.

His home address was "Durban", Deganwy Road, Deganwy, but died at 38, Jubilee Street in Llandudno.

They had a shop, b&b and apartments, from what we believe in Deganwy/Llandudno.

There has always been very little said about this and we are reluctant to ask remaining family members as we believe it was suicide.  They had 2 daughters, Joan (no dob) and Elizabeth Avril born 05/04/39.

My paternal Aunt believes it was suicide and we would like to find out as this was not what we were led to believe.  It does seem strange that he died exactly 2 years 2 days after my Grandmother.

I thank you in advance for any information you can find, even knowing their birthdays would be nice as they aren't on their headstones.

I am going to try at my local library on Ancestry, but would really appreciate any information

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Charles Williams
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 04:34:18 pm »
Hello Berrybird, welcome to the forum.    You have forwarded a lot of information and it may be possible as a result to find the cause of death of your maternal Grandfather.
First of all a Certificate of Death could be obtainable from the Registrar for Births Marriages and Deaths at the Town Hall Lloyd Street  Llandudno.
Secondly the Conwy Archives also situated in Lloyd Street  has a record of the local papers at that time.  There are copies of the Llandudno Advertiser and also the North Wales Weekly News there and both papers cover the Llandudno area.
An article on the death may be recorded in one of the papers as maybe an obituary notice
I do visit the Archives from time to time and if no one comes up with the info before I go there next then I'll gladly try and find out the info you are looking for.

Offline Berrybird

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 04:48:25 pm »
Thank you Hugo!

I think my brother is going to try ordering a death certificate from the Llandudno office.

Thank you it would be so fantastic to find out this information as it would answer a lot of questions and I would really appreciate any help I can get from a local, as I live in Macclesfield and this is all very new to me!

Mandy

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 05:25:35 pm »
Mandy,  I presume that you have already seen the headstone of Charles and Elizabeth but in case you haven't I've posted it below.

Offline Berrybird

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 05:48:49 pm »
Hi Hugo

Yes we did find this on Billion Graves and also a notice of whom his estate went to, which was his Brother a newsagent called Henry Williams in a Ledger.  I also found an old post on here regarding the Wright's, who are also on the Williams/Edwards side, which was interesting.

$thanx$

Mandy

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 04:48:21 pm »
Hi Mandy,  I went to the Conwy Archives today and had a look at copies of the Llandudno Advertiser.    That paper came out once a week on a Saturday and I found an Obituary notice for Charles Williams in the paper for the 21st June 1947.
I have requested a digital copy of the full notice and when it is e-mailed to me then I'll post it on here.    I'll just quote part of the notice but it does not clarify what caused his death:-

Mr Charles Williams died on Tuesday at the residence of his brother in law and sister. Mr Tom Jones  MBE and Mrs Owen Jubilee Street Llandudno.  He was aged 41.
During the war he served in the RAF and sustained an injury from which he never fully recovered.   Then there is a bit about the family which you can see as soon as I receive the e-mail

Charles died on Tuesday 17th June 1947 and was buried on the Great Orme on the Friday the 20th June 1947

I did have a look in later copies of the paper but could see no other notice relating to his death.   

Offline Berrybird

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 04:38:15 pm »
Hugo,

Thank you so much for looking that up for me.  That is very interesting news.

My brother has ordered a copy of Death Cert from Llandudno, which should arrive next Monday.

I look forward to receiving the Obituary and thank you so much once again.

Mandy

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 06:27:00 pm »
This is the Obituary notice that I saw in the Llandudno Advertiser.     I hope that the Death Certificate provides you with the information that you are seeking.
If you need anything further then please do not hesitate to post it on here.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 07:30:22 pm »
Just an aside:  Tom Owen MBE was generally known as "Tommy Sumner" after the restaurant where he worked for many years.  He was RSM of the 5th Battalion (Caernarvonshire) Home Guard during the Second World War.