Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 45375 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Driving...in the area
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2011, 08:23:31 pm »
The 12 metre high structure generates power for the lifts, lights, water pumps, CCTV and concierge area of Kestrel House, City Road, EC1.  And it is not the only one, the local council is actively promoting this "green" initiative.    Z**

"Up and down the City Road, in an out the Eagle, that's the way the money goes, pop goes the weasel"

Yorkie

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2011, 08:25:06 pm »
A good 'ole Tony Newley number.   But why did the weasel go pop?    D)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2011, 08:42:12 pm »
A good 'ole Tony Newley number.   But why did the weasel go pop?    D)

There has been much debate over the years about the meaning of Pop Goes The Weasel. A hugely popular music-hall song, its memorable and seemingly nonsensical lyrics spread like wildfire throughout Victorian London.

But is there more to the rhyme than meets the eye? In the 1680s, the poor and immigrants lived outside the walls of the City of London in Spitalfields, Hoxton and Shoreditch and slaved away in London's textile industry, which was based there.

Packed with sweatshops, it was also the site of many music halls and theatres.

One theory suggests that Pop Goes The Weasel was an attempt to turn the grim reality of local people's lives into a hit song.

In the textile industry, a spinner's weasel was a mechanical thread-measuring device in the shape of a spoked wheel, that accurately measured out yarn by making a popping sound to indicate the correct length had been reached.

The mind-numbing and repetitive nature of the work is captured in the final line of each verse, indicating that whatever you were doing, or wherever your mind had wandered to, reality was never far away with the weasel to pop you alert again.

brumbob

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2011, 10:16:05 pm »
The mind-numbing and repetitive nature of the work is captured in the final line of each verse, indicating that whatever you were doing, or wherever your mind had wandered to, reality was never far away with the weasel to pop you alert again.

Will have to remember that on the track  :rage:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2011, 11:21:50 pm »

Will have to remember that on the track  :rage:

I'd rather go on the pop in the Eagle myself.  Z**

brumbob

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2011, 11:36:38 pm »
For a moment you had me, I was looking for pubs called the Eagle in Sparkhill  L0L

Offline Trojan

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2011, 04:24:53 am »
For a moment you had me, I was looking for pubs called the Eagle in Sparkhill  L0L

;D Nah, The Eagle is in Hoxton, London, N1.

There was an Eagle Tavern not far from Sparkhill in Mary St, Balsall Heath, B12

It's called Snackers now.

Yorkie

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2011, 09:35:27 am »
I am one of those who regards popping the weasel as "pawning the suit".

'Popping' is a slang term for pawning, i.e. depositing articles with a pawnbroker in return for money. Weasel may be a corruption of whistle - in cockney rhyming slang 'whistle and flute' i.e. suit. It could also be from another example of CRS, i.e. 'weasel and stoat' -> coat.

Some will say (3) balls to that!    L0L

Offline Trojan

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2011, 06:45:17 pm »
I am one of those who regards popping the weasel as "pawning the suit".

'Popping' is a slang term for pawning, i.e. depositing articles with a pawnbroker in return for money. Weasel may be a corruption of whistle - in cockney rhyming slang 'whistle and flute' i.e. suit. It could also be from another example of CRS, i.e. 'weasel and stoat' -> coat.

Some will say (3) balls to that!    L0L

A Weasel is also a shoemaker's tool - there were numerous shoemaker's factories in Hoxton at one time.

Charlie Kray (the twins' Father) drank in The Eagle, and was renowned for popping in order to obtain cash for booze.  Z**

Offline Trojan

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2011, 07:32:30 pm »
great, have to drive to the supermarket everyday to charge it up  :P

until every parking space has a means to charge a car, I maintain electric cars are useless for the majority of people
imagine row upon row of terrace houses with cables stretching over the pavement  :rage:

Plug in electric cars move problems rather than solving them.
Scientists at the University of Illinois have just developed a Lithium battery that can reach 90% charged in just 2 minutes.

I have a flashlight....sorry, torch, that charges in 90 seconds and has NO BATTERIES.

http://www.511tactical.com/html511/static/LFLDemo.html

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2011, 10:17:14 pm »
I recently came across the following, just thought I'd share it.

The  Dear Departed.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.
   No one knows how old he was since his birth records were lost in bureaucratic red tape.  He will be remembered as having  cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, or why the early bird catches the worm. That life isn’t always fair and, maybe it’s my fault.
   Common sense lived by simple sound financial policies ( don’t spend more than you earn ) with reliable strategies  adults not children in charge
   His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned overbearing  regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment, for kissing a classmate. Teenagers suspended from school for using a mouthwash after lunch and a Teacher sacked for reprimanding an unruly pupil which only worsened his behaviour Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they had failed to do - disciplining their children.
   It declined further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticking plaster on a pupil, but could not inform the parents when a pupil became pregnant and was seeking an abortion.   Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband and churches became businesses and criminals received better treatment than their victims.
   Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself in your own home, yet the burglar could sue you for assault.  Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, sued and received a huge settlement.
   Common Sense was preceded by the death of  his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility and his son Reason.    He is survived by his three step-brothers, I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is To Blame and I’m A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral, as so few realised he had GONE!
Dictum Meum Pactum

Yorkie

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2011, 01:48:07 pm »
A BAG OF TOOLS
by R L Sharpe

Isn't it strange how princes and kings,
and clowns that caper in sawdust rings,
and common people, like you and me,
are builders for eternity?

Each is given a list of rules;
a shapeless mass; and a bag of tools.
And each must fashion, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block, or a stepping-stone.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 03:47:31 pm by Yorkie »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2011, 02:13:24 pm »
I really like that poem Yorkie.   :D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

brumbob

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2011, 03:21:22 pm »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 04:56:04 pm by Ian »

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2011, 03:53:11 pm »
I like that poem also Yorkie but had heard a slightly different version which I was told my father found in a Christmas card or somesuch and was anon

Isn't it strange that princes and kings
                            And clowns that caper in sawdust rings
                            And ordinary folk like you and me
                            Are builder's of eternity

To each is given a bag of tools
                             An hour glass and a book of rules
                             And each must build ere his time has flown
                             A stumbling block or a stepping stone