Author Topic: European Union Vote  (Read 143102 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: European Union Vote
« Reply #330 on: July 07, 2016, 11:25:12 am »
Nice analogy.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #331 on: July 07, 2016, 12:14:53 pm »
&shake&                &shake&
Pound at a new 31-year low against the US dollar.
The pound remained in post-Brexit freefall as it tumbled to a fresh 31-year low against the US dollar amid mounting fears over the impact of the vote to leave the EU.

Sterling slumped below $1.28 at one stage, more than 15% below levels seen on referendum day, while it also dropped against the euro, falling 1% below Tuesday's closing figure to €1.16, its lowest level since 2013.
Concerns over a Brexit hit to the UK's property sector saw housebuilding shares remain deep in the red on the London market, although the FTSE 100 Index lifted 24.3 points to 6570.3
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/pound-new-31-year-low-11573937
A low Pound is great news for both British Exporters and for British Companies that have significant business interests abroad.

What concerns me, reading into this article is the effect on the City, the business generated there contributes £34m in taxes to the economy, and the importance of the UK in the finance world is now under threat.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #332 on: July 07, 2016, 02:51:13 pm »
A letter in this week's Private Eye suggests that the UK should now be known as:

Free United Kingdom (With Independent Trading Status.)
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2016, 01:01:25 am »
This sums it up nicely for me.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #334 on: July 08, 2016, 08:49:50 am »
What's hilarious is how some people on here are now complaining bitterly about the result, yet only a few weeks ago were saying they would vote to Leave themselves or were saying they wouldn't bother voting.

Is that bandwagon nice and comfortable, boys???  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I consider this referendum to be the most important national vote in my life time, and the result will effect generations to come.

Slowly, I am coming to the conclusion that a 'Remain' vote will bolster the advent of a Federal State of Europe and embolden the EU's power to crush member nations sovereignty and I don't like what the additional proposed EU states would bring to the table.

I think that you can guess where my x is going........       

That is probably why I am still unlikely to vote.
Unless my loathing of Boris Johnson forces the issue...

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #335 on: July 08, 2016, 09:23:50 am »
Dave R, in reply to your sanctimonious post, firstly, the country is in political turmoil, mainly because of the lies and deceit told by campaigners that to me, verge on criminality and I am extremely concerned for the future of this country and the young people that will have to pick up the remains of this deception.

Secondly, having considered the referendum to be the most important national vote in my lifetime, I very, very carefully considered the implications and eventually realised that the Leave campaign had could not substantiate it's major arguments and that it's reasoning was based on misconceptions. As facts change, so should the decision, and the credibility of the facts of the leave campaign were, in my view, wholly destroyed. I therefore voted Remain.

I actually rather prefer the bandwagon that I'm on to one of smugness and conceit.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #336 on: July 08, 2016, 10:02:15 am »
But Dave, you've just proved my point for me.
I started the the thread off by saying that I expected the politicians to lie and for there to be no impartial information on which to base a sensible voting decision.
It turns out I was spot on.
Then my intense dislike of politicians made me focus on that most clownish of the species, Boris.
So I voted accordingly.

Now, along with every other major Leave figurehead, he has fled the scene after pulling the pin from the grenade.
I'm not often right, but I think I called this whole sorry episode pretty much correct all the way.
Apart from the politicians fleeing the scene, the other common theme I am hearing is that the claims of BOTH campaigns were either misleading or damn lies.
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #337 on: July 08, 2016, 10:19:09 am »
I think we're all on the same page here. My view has always been there should have been no referendum. The fact that politically minded people like Bosun and Fester were unsure of what to vote only substantiates that fact.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #338 on: July 08, 2016, 10:46:14 am »
I'm wondering if the Leave leaders can be prosecuted for wilful misconduct in a public office. I think something needs to be done to prevent a repeat of the entire saga.

The news this morning was that our economy - proclaimed as the 5th largest in the world by those very people - has now slipped to 6th, with France moving above us.  Yet another victory for deception and mendacity.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #339 on: July 08, 2016, 11:20:28 am »
I'm wondering if the Leave leaders can be prosecuted for wilful misconduct in a public office. I think something needs to be done to prevent a repeat of the entire saga.

The news this morning was that our economy - proclaimed as the 5th largest in the world by those very people - has now slipped to 6th, with France moving above us.  Yet another victory for deception and mendacity.

Ian, not a single chance of such a prosecution.
Where would they draw the line?  They would have to lock up 95% of all politicians that are still alive, and exhume all the others as far back as 1970, in some grotesque 'Jimmy Savile like' post-mortem witch hunt.
No, call it 'spin', call it deception, politicians have always been economical with the truth.
I'm only surprised that any is surprised! 
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #340 on: July 08, 2016, 12:11:06 pm »
I suspect this case is different.  They told lies.  Not exaggerated, not omitted some fact but lies - pure and simple. Most politicians are economical with the truth but this was a whole different ball game.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #341 on: July 08, 2016, 02:47:40 pm »
Is that a serious question?  _))* _))* _))* They all knew perfectly well it was a lie. They knew that it was almost certainly going to be the votes of the less well informed that swung the election, which is why Farage produced that infamous and widely condemned poster of the immigrants queuing. He used a classic fear tactic, with no evidential basis.

Yes, it was a serious question, out of sheer incredulity that it actually happened. The verdict of the referendum is so desperately important to this country that it should be put on hold and the conduct of those involved in the campaign, (especially by those receiving government funding) should be the subject to some form of a Public Enquiry, and if it was found that the misinformation swayed voting decisions to a degree larger than the winning margin, the referendum should be re-run. The costs of which should be borne by those found to have lied and they should be barred from public office.

I think that you may have gathered that I'm furious about it......

I repeat my call for a Public Enquiry and (as much good as it will do...) I have written in that vein to my MP.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #342 on: July 08, 2016, 03:08:04 pm »
Who is your MP?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #343 on: July 08, 2016, 03:28:22 pm »
Ha ha,  they will be hauled before the very scary Commons Select Committee, just like Mike Ashley and Philip Green recently.
This is a place which gets lots of TV and media coverage,  you lie your ass off, and nothing further is ever said on the matter.
Fester...

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #344 on: July 08, 2016, 05:17:15 pm »