Author Topic: European Union Vote  (Read 61249 times)

Ian

• Administrator
Re: European Union Vote
« Reply #450 on: May 31, 2019, 06:08:36 PM »
Jacob Rees-Mogg is complaining about Boris Johnson being taken to court for lying during the Referendum campaign.

“It is trying to use the courts to achieve a political end which, I think, is neither right or proper. "

Of course when his father took the government to court to try to block the Maastricht Treaty, a course of action to which Rees-Mogg happily subscribed,  that was an entirely different thing.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

“Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.”   ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #451 on: June 02, 2019, 12:12:18 AM »
I met a very pleasant elderly Belgian couple in Spain this week, and they asked what the heck Brexit was all about.   They thought that Britain had basically imploded.   It was hard to disagree.
I summarised Brexit thus, in my pidgin English.....

About 35% of Brits turned out to vote in a referendum.  Lots of old people voted Brexit, when asked why, few of them really knew why, other than they liked Britain better 50 years ago.
Lots of young people apparently wanted to stay in Europe,  but they were too lazy to vote.
So we are where we are.
Embarrassing really, on many levels.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #452 on: June 06, 2019, 05:54:14 PM »
This is worth watching:

“Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.”   ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

SteveH

• Newshound
« Reply #453 on: July 29, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »
The chief executive of Vauxhall-owner PSA says it could move all production from its Ellesmere Port factory if Brexit makes it unprofitable.

Carlos Tavares told the Financial Times that the car maker has alternatives to the plant which it could use.

The move would probably lead to the closure of the site, the FT said, threatening 1,000 jobs.

SteveH

• Newshound
« Reply #454 on: September 12, 2019, 10:08:09 AM »
Operation Yellowhammer: Government's Brexit forecast shows shocking impact no-deal could have on UK
The 'worst case' scenario document has been released following a vote by MPs

Shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer said the Yellowhammer document confirms there are "severe risks" if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.