Author Topic: European Union Vote  (Read 57697 times)

DaveR

• Administrator
Re: European Union Vote
« Reply #420 on: April 24, 2019, 12:15:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
But it wasn't a democratic vote, in that the majority of eligible voters didn't vote to leave.

And I have to wonder why the Leave campaign people are so terrified of another referendum. Don't they believe in democracy?
That’s a really weak argument and not one I suspect you would have used in the event of a Remain victory by the same amount?  ))*

I was interested to see the Daily Post’s recent Poll on voting intentions in the event of a European Election. 3,800 people have voted:

Brexit Party 45%
Liberal Democrats 17%
Change UK 8%
Plaid Cymru 7%
Labour 7%
UKIP 5%
Conservatives 1%

I’ve seen the comment made more than a few times lately that, if you believe in democracy then it will be necessary to vote for the Brexit Party, regardless of your normal political views.

Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #421 on: April 24, 2019, 02:26:03 PM »
 $donald$

If you believe in democracy then we need another referendum.
“Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.”   ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #422 on: May 17, 2019, 09:36:45 AM »
If you believe in democracy then we need another referendum.
...and if someone doesn’t like the result of that one, we just have another and another and another?

That's an outmoded argument and you know it :-) The reason we need another referendum is that the facts - such as they were - were not given to the voters prior to the vote, massive lies were told by the Leave campaign (remember the £350m claim?), the Vote Leave organisers have already be fined thousands over misrepresentation and breaking electoral law and we now have a much clearer idea of what Leaving would mean.

And here's the thing: Why are leavers so terrified of another vote? Doesn't seem rational, given they're so sure they'd win...

I see every poll has the Brexit Party leading by a significant majority - perhaps they’re just asking the wrong people though, Ian?

If I were a betting man I'd expect the only party with 'brexit' in its name to win, if only on the basis of statistical probability. The remain parties - just about all the others - will inevitably split the vote.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:51:52 AM by Ian »