Members' Lounge > Politics & Current Affairs

European Union Vote

<< < (2/95) > >>

Fester:
This EU membership issue polarises opinion, and I fear that when we get to the referendum, most of the questions we have will remain unanswered.
Such is the problem with weighty political matters.
There will be many heated debates on the TV, but the clarity will be lacking as it always is.

One politician will tell us that it disaster will ensue if we leave the EU, the next will pick on the same point but tell us that paradise awaits if we vote to leave.
There will be a lack of hard facts for us to base our opinions on, therefore fear (and greed) is likely to sway most people's decision.
As it stands at the moment, I am likely to abstain.... because I genuinely don't KNOW what will happen, who does?

Fester:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35635438

This 3 minute clip sheds some light on Norway's relationship with the EU, despite being a non-member

SDQ:

--- Quote from: Fester on February 22, 2016, 11:30:20 pm ---http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35635438

This 3 minute clip sheds some light on Norway's relationship with the EU, despite being a non-member

--- End quote ---

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/16/eu-exit-norway-option-costs-thinktank

They estimate the Norway option would cost us 94% of what it costs us now but we would have no vote.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Hugo on February 22, 2016, 04:45:57 pm ---   Britain seems to have to abide by all the EU rules yet Germany can openly invite millions of immigrants into Europe without discussion or arrangements with any of the other EU countries and blatantly ignores the Schengen Treaty

--- End quote ---

Not entirely sure Germany 'invited' them all, Hugo.  They were already walking there anyway, and Germany simply offered them a place to stay, as it were. The mass migration we've seen over the past 12 months has largely been unstoppable - unless countries use methods generally seen as unacceptable in a civilised society. 

Ian:

--- Quote from: Fester on February 22, 2016, 08:07:35 pm ---This EU membership issue polarises opinion, and I fear that when we get to the referendum, most of the questions we have will remain unanswered. Such is the problem with weighty political matters.
There will be many heated debates on the TV, but the clarity will be lacking as it always is.

One politician will tell us that disaster will ensue if we leave the EU, the next will pick on the same point but tell us that paradise awaits if we vote to leave. There will be a lack of hard facts for us to base our opinions on, therefore fear (and greed) is likely to sway most people's decision.
As it stands at the moment, I am likely to abstain.... because I genuinely don't KNOW what will happen, who does?

--- End quote ---

I rarely quote anyone's post in full, but Fester's comment is worthy of very wide distribution. Sadly, I agree with every single word.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version