Author Topic: B L Dunphy naval architect of Llandudno  (Read 3913 times)

Offline temperancellandudno

• Management board member
B L Dunphy naval architect of Llandudno
« on: January 25, 2016, 04:56:29 pm »
Hello everyone

I am trying to find out about B L Dunphy of Llandudno, who designed small pleasure boats for inland waterways and sea sailing. I am aware that there have been queries about the Dunphy family in Llandudno, who were involved with shops, but there is no mention of B L. He designed the canal cruiser Quiet Waters for the firm J H Taylor of Chester in 1962, and probably later boats; while he designed sailing yachts, currently listed for sale, in 1960 and 1964 respectively.

I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about him, when he was working, what boats he designed.

I would be most grateful if anyone shed any light on this.

Happy New Year!

T   

Offline Hugo

Re: B L Dunphy naval architect of Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 10:33:48 pm »
Sorry but I don't know anything about B L Dunphy but if you put his name into Google you can read about some of the boats he was designing.  Try also B L DUNPHY Llandudno in Google also and you can see photos of some boats.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 03:10:35 pm »
I have looked on the BMD indexes on Find My Past and Bernard Lawrence Dunphy was born in Llandudno 1911. On the 1911 Census he was 1 month old living with his parents Arthur & Elsie Dunphy at Birk Crag, Victoria Avenue, Llandudno, his fathers occupation was Licensed Grocer. He married Joan Mary Hallmark in 1938. Bernard passed away   at Abergele Chest Hospital 30/5/1965 aged 54 years, home address Four Winds, Llanrhos. Probate date 21/9/1965 Administration to Joan Mary Dunphy & Carol Judy Horton £25,704.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 04:10:53 pm »
There  was a Larry Dumphy who designed  a beautiful  little yacht called Alarch Wen , built by Chrosfields of conwy cir1962 .last i heard of her was in the Caribbean where i believe  she was lost

Offline temperance

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 10:08:10 am »
Very many thanks everyone.

It looks like we have Mr Dunphy firmly located. Perhaps this will interest the family history researchers into the family. I wonder why he went into naval architecture when the others ran shops? I've found details of boats that he designed around the early 1960s, and his early death explains why there were none later on. he might well be suroprised to learn that several of the wooden boats that he designed are still afloat over 50 years later.

Many thanks again

T

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 02:38:21 pm »
He could have taken an interest in things Naval due to his father Arthur's brother Bernard (who he could have possible been named after) being killed in action age 33 years, Lieutenant Bernard Dunphy 1882-1915 served on HMS Conwy from 1897-1899 but at the time of death was serving on the admiralty armed merchant cruiser Bayano, which was torpedoed off the Clyde 11/3/1915.
There are quite a lot of Dunphy family papers in Conwy Archive, Llandudno.

Offline Jack

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 03:12:03 pm »
Bernard Dunphy KIA HMS Bayano

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 05:34:33 pm »
Hello

I've been talking to an expert on J H Taylor's boatyard in Chester, and have a point to add about Mr Dunphy. Taylors did build canal boats - one, Amaryllis, is at the Boat Museum at Ellesmere Port - but they also built seagoing craft, and Mr Dunphy had designed some of these for Taylors. 

Many thanks everyone. It is great to go from vague rumour to certainty about these queries Long may this forum continue! 

Thanks again

T

Offline gwennanmay

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 02:44:21 pm »
Hi
I am Bernard Lawrence Dunphy's grandaughter.  I too am researching his boat designs and would be extremely grateful for any information!  I have found a few of his designs in various yachting magazines and a database of all (I hope) his boats.  From what I can gather he was a very reserved man who kept himself to himself hence, I am guessing, the lack of information about him.  Any info gratefully received - thanks!

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 11:28:07 am »
Hi

I have messaged you. Hopefully more can be discovered about Mr Dunphy.

TL