Author Topic: David Bowie  (Read 2299 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
David Bowie
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:00:41 am »
It may sound like a cliche, but he really was one of rock music's all time greats. RIP David.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: David Bowie
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:26:23 am »
Absolutely.
I will remember him this way with Jagger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4jnaznUoQ

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:25:04 pm »
Little known fact, very early in his career he played in the Washington with the band the riot squad.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:02:53 am »
Little known fact, very early in his career he played in the Washington with the band the riot squad.
Really!!!! I never knew that.  $good$ Any ideas to to a date?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 10:10:46 am »
Really!!!! I never knew that.  $good$ Any ideas to to a date?

No idea I'm afraid, I think it would have been before his first album was released probably 1967 or there abouts.
I know he played saxophone for them

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 01:49:23 pm »
Was there a nightclub in the Washington during the sixties?

Gwynant will remember better than me.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 02:45:33 pm »
I remember going there in 1962/63 and it was upstairs if I remember correctly.  but Gwynant may know more about the place.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:26:44 pm »
      It wasn't so much a nightclub, Hugo and Bri, more of a music venue in the sixties. It was situated upstairs where the Indian Restaurant was in later years and all the local bands played there at some time or another. A music promoter from Rhos (I think his name was Johnson) used to book bands from Liverpool quite often and I remember seeing Geno Washington (who was an ex american GI) and his Ram-Jam Band there a few times and London bands like the Graham Bond Organisation and also Ginger Baker appeared there with his band ( before his "Cream" days) when there were also some jazz nights on a Monday.  My abiding memory of the "Wash" was when a massive fight between the locals and the lads from the Bay and Mochdre broke out on the dance floor one night and one of the Bay lads was cornered on one of the balconies and had to drop off the balcony onto the  roof of a police van parked below on the pavement to escape!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 12:48:38 pm »
      It wasn't so much a nightclub, Hugo and Bri, more of a music venue in the sixties. It was situated upstairs where the Indian Restaurant was in later years and all the local bands played there at some time or another. A music promoter from Rhos (I think his name was Johnson) used to book bands from Liverpool quite often and I remember seeing Geno Washington (who was an ex american GI) and his Ram-Jam Band there a few times and London bands like the Graham Bond Organisation and also Ginger Baker appeared there with his band ( before his "Cream" days) when there were also some jazz nights on a Monday.  My abiding memory of the "Wash" was when a massive fight between the locals and the lads from the Bay and Mochdre broke out on the dance floor one night and one of the Bay lads was cornered on one of the balconies and had to drop off the balcony onto the  roof of a police van parked below on the pavement to escape!
Great memories, Gwynant.  $good$