Author Topic: Everything to do with Penrhyn Bay  (Read 29274 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Penrhyn Bay
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2020, 10:24:52 am »
Plans for Penrhyn Bay homes development put forward in joint venture by two housing associations
Adra and North Wales Housing have drawn up plans to develop 21 new affordable homes

Cont https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/plans-penrhyn-bay-homes-development-19392501

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2021, 12:58:51 pm »
Woman suffers 'deep wound' in attack after being approached by four large dogs
Police are asking anyone who may have seen the dogs to come forward

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/woman-suffers-deep-wound-attack-20235203

Offline SteveH

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2021, 10:22:05 am »
Planning application received by Conwy County Borough Council up to March 28

Erection of 21 dwellings (comprising of 8 tw0-bedroom houses, 8 three-bedroom houses and 5 two-bedroom bungalows) with associated parking, access and infrastructure at Land off Plas Penrhyn, Penrhyn Bay, Conwy.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2021, 02:39:14 pm »
A COUNCIL has revealed proposals for flood defences in Penrhyn Bay as part of large-scale plans to protect the Conwy coast

Conwy County Borough Council has launched a consultation over its plans to protect the promenade sea wall from coastal flooding and erosion, and to make the beach more accessible.

The local authority proposals are to build an offshore T-shaped breakwater between the two existing groynes, and import 55,000mᶾ of shingle !  !   to sit in front of the seawall.

The work would also include resurfacing the promenade, repairing and improving existing stepped beach access, a new accessible ramp at the eastern end and installing a pedestrian and cycle crossing point on Glan Y Mor Road. The existing car park would also be relocated to the eastern end of the promenade to provide more cycle path.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19650028.plans-revamp-penrhyn-bay-promenade-improve-flood-defences/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2021, 11:29:09 am »
I hope that the CCBC have got this one right.       I've noticed that in certain weather conditions large pebbles have been coming over the sea wall at the junction of Glan Y Mor Road and Morfa Road and the force of the tide has thrown the pebbles into the middle of the road.
If this is already happening with heavy pebbles I hope that by raising the level of the beach by 16 feet won't mean that there will be a lot of lighter shingle coming over the sea wall instead

Offline mull

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2021, 11:39:20 am »
Here we go again, West Shore ,Part 2 only this time it is shingle.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2021, 12:28:08 pm »
My initial thoughts too.     On a bad day when the tide is high and the waves are crashing over the wall at the point I've mentioned I take a left turn and go down Morfa Road.    I'm not taking a chance of driving straight on and a pebble landing on the car.
Only time will tell but I hope that these consultants are not the same boffins that created the West Shore sea defence

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2021, 06:07:05 pm »
Let's not forget the Quarry rocks the idiots at ccbc they class that as shingle. I'd love to know where they are finding this funding when ccbc are always pleading poverty.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2021, 03:48:07 pm »
Let's not forget the Quarry rocks the idiots at ccbc they class that as shingle. I'd love to know where they are finding this funding when ccbc are always pleading poverty.

Perhaps those marine experts at the CCBC are contemplating moving the "shingle" from the North Shore Beach in Llandudno and taking it to Penrhyn Bay.    Either way I wouldn't drive past that part of Penrhyn Bay on a stormy day
Sounds like a bit of old cobbles to me

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2021, 09:03:49 pm »
What beats me Hugo they are saying they are only getting rid of the rocks from the old slipway to the imperial, 🤔 And putting the Sand back, um once again they don't think the rocks will move, I've noticed loads of rocks on colwyn bay beach now,    I said to those in charge why didn't you mark some rocks in different sections to gauge the movement, they were baffled.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2021, 08:56:46 am »
You are right about the rocks appearing on the Colwyn Bay beach Norman, I've noticed them when I've taken the dog for a walk there.   The sands are shifting as the do with tidal currents, pity the CCBC didn't understand that when they wrecked the West Shore in Llandudno.
What about wooden groynes for Colwyn Bay, at least they have been proven to work

Offline Hugo

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2022, 04:54:11 pm »
LIVE: 'Ongoing police incident' at Penrhyn Bay sees road cordoned off
Police have blocked off Llandudno Road, near the library and the public is being asked to avoid the area

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-ongoing-police-incident-penrhyn-23718541

Offline Hugo

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2022, 02:02:30 pm »
Sadly Driver dies after car crashes into wall in Llandudno
An investigation is underway following the incident in Penrhyn Bay yesterday

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/driver-dies-after-car-crashes-23723917

Offline SteveH

« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2022, 10:11:27 am »
WORK to clear an outfall on the coast of Penrhyn Bay in Conwy has taken place.             ref pioneer

Natural Resources Wales (NRW) has cleared the Afon Ganol?s east outfall at Penrhyn Bay.

The outfall can become obstructed with beach material during periods of low rainfall and subsequent low river flows.

Staff used an excavator to clear the outfall, preventing the river backing up which could increase the likelihood of flooding.

NRW will continue to monitor the site and carry out further clearance work when required as part of its routine asset maintenance.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2023, 10:29:20 am »
WORK to improve Penrhyn Bay?s coastal defences will begin next week, Conwy County Borough Council has announced.

The scheme involves building a T-shaped rock groyne and adding shingle to the beach to protect the existing defences and the promenade.

The beach will be closed to the public for this work to be done safely.

Work is expected to take ten months, but sections of the beach will be reopened for public access as they are completed.

There will also be improvements to public spaces, with a resurfaced promenade area, new seating and handrails. Parking will be relocated to opposite the entrance to Rhos Golf Club, with a new pedestrian and cyclist crossing point between Maes Gwyn Road and Pendorlan Road.

From Monday, 23 January, the Penrhyn Bay promenade path will be closed for five months.

The footpath and cycleway will be diverted and there will be traffic management along Glan-Y-Mor Road.

Councillor Goronwy Edwards, Cabinet Member for Environment, Roads and Facilities ? Infrastructure, said: ?Coastal defences are important to protect our communities from the increased threat of climate change, sea level rises and storms.

?This work is an integral part of the Council?s coastal defence strategy, and will benefit the residents of Penrhyn Bay for a long time to come.?

The work, which will cost ?7.5million, is 85 per cent funded through the Welsh Government's Coast Risk Management Programme, with Conwy County Borough Council funding the remaining 15 per cent.      ref pioneer