Author Topic: Everything to do with Penrhyn Bay  (Read 29247 times)

Offline CurlyCap

Re: Everything to do with Penrhyn Bay
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 06:07:03 pm »
 $thanx$ TheMedz

We actually drove around the estate looking for the start of the walk but wasn't sure where to park. We actually stopped in that cul de sac but wasn't sure if the locals would be happy with us leaving our car there for an hour or two.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 06:20:38 pm »
You could always park in the Co-op car park and then walk round the right-hand side of the roundabout, up the hill just past a substation on the right and take the first unsurfaced track on the right. Just follow that along and you will come to the little orme. Stay on the main track (dont turn off on any footpath) and it takes you all the way to Angel Bay.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 06:24:12 pm »
or take a right onto Penrhyn Beach East and keep going until the houses on the left stop and then park overlooking the water.

Offline CurlyCap

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 06:31:53 pm »
Hope the weather's good at the weekend and we'll give it another go.

We drive through there all the time but we've never actually stopped and been up the Little Orme. This forum has inspired me to check out what's on our doorstep ! It's great !   $thanx$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 06:45:58 pm »
We live in the middle of the Penrhyn Beach estate, we moved here 7 months ago, it's great having the Little Orme and the beach on our doorstep  D) Lots of dog owners park at both entrances to the old limestone quarries, so probably as suggested park in the car park by the Co op and its not too far to walk. You may if lucky see some seals at Angel Bay, lots of sea birds and Ravens here too  D) The view from the summit of the Little Orme is jst great!

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline CurlyCap

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 07:21:20 pm »
Wow, Great pics ! Now I'm definitely going to make the effort !

Is there any particular time that's best to see the seals or is it quite rare and just down to luck?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 07:42:40 pm »
Gray seals have their pups in the Autumn and I usually go to Holyhead about a week after the equinox and they appear there as regular as clockwork.
The seal pup on the beach at Angel Bay last year was much later than that so it may be another species or perhaps they are just later in the Penrhyn Bay area.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:48:15 pm by Hugo »

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 08:43:54 pm »
12 to 15 seals either on shore ,coming ashore or out in the water mid afternoon high tide a couple of weeks ago. The water was very calm after a few days of really heavy weather so they were probably coming in for a rest. I've been there on other occasions (usually when we take visiting friends!) and there's none to be seen. Very difficult to differentiate, with the naked eye, between some of the seals and the larger rocks on the shore.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 09:28:28 pm »
 ln the last few weeks there have been days with no seals and days with 10 seals, it's pot luck really, although some people go down to the beach which scares them off!

Offline dwsi

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 09:47:13 pm »

Offline CurlyCap

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 09:53:17 pm »
 *&(

Well it will be a bonus if we do see the seals but I'm looking forward to the walk anyway.

It will be another place to take the relatives when they come to visit.

We're on the Great Orme but I believe it's a trickier climb up the little one ! Can't believe we've never done it.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 10:42:07 pm »
it's quite easy walking up the Little Orme, the only thing is that there is no clearly marked path near to the summit, but it's not difficult even 'er indoors' goes up there with no bother  D)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:03:10 am by DaveR »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 09:16:53 am »
The Little Orme is wonderfully peaceful, when you escape the legions of dog walkers on the lower levels. We used to walk the kids up to the summit every week, when they were little.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 02:00:15 pm »
I hav'ent been up the Little Orme for years and years, and I mean years and years!!! But it used to be unbelievably dangerous, but I suppose after the many fatal accidents a few fences have been put up. One part in particular, facing North. It wasent a sheer cliff, it was a grassy incline which just got steeper and steeper. If anyone had started running down it it was perfectly possible that they would run themselves straight over the edge on to the rocks below. So, take care.  Mike

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 02:07:41 pm »
Mike, glad to see you back, you would be amazed to see the 18 hole golf course on the Little Orme (only kidding  :D ) when will your golf course open up again so I can bring my LUDC ball along ?   Hope you had a great holiday  Z**