Author Topic: Florence May Jones born 1893 approx.  (Read 2159 times)

Offline baglady

Florence May Jones born 1893 approx.
« on: October 05, 2015, 05:06:43 am »
...like the title says!  :)

hello all,
my great gran was called Florence May Jones born in Conwy. her father was the station master (i think...) at Llandudno Junction. i'm guessing this would have been end of the C19th/beginning of C20th. my mum said she was an orphan but i can find nothing about her family or her father, don't even know his name. i have saw some old photos on your site & would be delighted if i could any of the station at the time my great great granddad worked there (or of him!!) thanks in advance for any help.

Offline baglady

Florence May Jones born 1893 approx.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:12:21 am »
my great gran was Florence May Jones from Conwy, i was told she was an orphan but would love to find anything out about her family. her father worked at Llandudno Junction station. $thanx$

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Florence May Jones born 1893 approx.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:39:05 am »
Had a quick look at Ancestry, there is a Florence May Jones living at 3 Broad Street Ll. Jnct in 1901 at age 7, family members are her mother Mary 41 (widow) b Holyhead John Frederick 15 Railway Porter b Holyhead, Ernest Henry 13, Hannah Elizabeth 10, George Edward 5,  all born Conwy and a couple of Boarders.
This may or may not be the right family,bearing in mind the surname Jones and the fact that many in Llandudno Junction and Conwy were employed on the railways,  but if you think it is worth more research I would be happy to do more look ups on Ancestry when I finish work.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:00:53 pm »
per freebmd    ( a possibility assuming Jones was her maiden name)

Surname    First name(s)    Age    District    Vol    Page

Births Sep 1893   (>99%)
Jones    Florence May        Conway    11b   514    

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:51:15 pm »
That seems to be a good find Rhuddlan and fits in with what Suepp has found.    Her birthday in Sept 1893 would make her 7 years of age by the date of the 1901 Census on 31st March 1901.
The original Railway Station at Llandudno Junction was further west near the old level crossing but the station needed to be enlarged  in order to cope with both mainline and branch-line traffic, and on 1 October 1897 the present station was opened.
I think there are photos of the railway station here on the forum somewhere

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 02:07:38 pm »
Sorry to be picky Ian / Dave but would this be better moved to Genealogy & Research
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)