Author Topic: Old Public Houses in Bryn Pydew  (Read 49487 times)

Offline squiggle

Re: Old Public Houses in Bryn Pydew
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2015, 10:43:32 pm »
Thanks for the link Hugo.  It seems to be a fairly large pdf.  I'll look at this tomorrow.

Jack:

I'm sorry to read that path is getting littered. I guess I'm also a little surprised it gets that popular to get the beer cans. While I know it's not true, I think when you know most of the ways from somewhere like Pydew, down Goedlodd lane across the Nant to the top of Gilfach, from Gilfach to Fault (I can't spell it) where you join the Wiga track, what we called bogey lane to Mochdre, etc. one can start to feel a member of a pretty exclusive club and I rarely met anyone over my own years of at times (I wasn't a regular walker) using these paths.

Wild garlic!.  From Pydew, it grows at the top of Bodysgallen.  I've just asked my mother the question "what do you notice as you enter Bodysgallen woods in Spring?"  Needless to say, she answered immediately with the smell of wild garlic.  My own sense of smell is generally quite poor but even I love that one.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2015, 09:48:38 pm »
I've had some info back. The property that was by the wall of Old Swan was called something along the lines of Cilgart . There seems to be agreement that it had been a bakery.  I believe the tiles are still there.

I hope to be able to post a couple of pictures in a few days time.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2015, 06:33:02 pm »
The first picture shows "Cilgart" on the right.

I believe the second was amongst the deeds for Old Swan.  I'm just posting a portion.  It seems to confirm something I've wondered whether might be the case for some time.  Note that Old Swan is named "White Orchard" and that what marked as "Ruins of Old" Inn is now the garage of Old Swan.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2015, 07:59:24 pm »
Something I debate with the plan I gave is the "outbuilding" next to the "old inn" . There was a dividing wall there when we lived in Old Swan but, looking at an older OS map, I would speculate that the "old inn" probably extended beyond the boundaries on the plan, giving the part I've shaded in yellow on the map?

Offline squiggle

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2015, 07:46:18 am »
Looks like I was wrong with my speculation in my previous post.  I've just found this OS map which says surveyed 1875 to 1888. 

White Orchard/Old Swan does not exist on this one.  So to go back to where I came on this thread, as far as I can make out, not only has the current Old Swan probably never been a shop, it's never been a pub either.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2015, 05:05:26 pm »
Looks like it's back to square one although my friend has confirmed that it was a part time sub post office and delivered and sold newspapers if nothing else.
The old Swan does look like an old building but appears to have a more modern extension at the rear.   It looks like it was built before 1888 but then it should have appeared on the O/S map.
The deeds should show when it was built though.
That's a nice photo of the man and boy but I can't place the large house that appears on the left of the photo.  I presume that it was taken on the green in Ffordd Y Pentre.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2015, 05:06:02 pm »
Probably a final comment on this from me but I've been pondering this for much of today.  I suppose I could suggest that the deeds to Old Swan would have been locked away by my father who would not have considered anything in their contents to be of concern to anyone other than himself but it still feels a bit odd not being aware of the marking of the ruins of the inn and of the name "White Orchard" .

Barring 4 year gap in Kent, during which time we remained in contact with some people in the village, I knew Pydew for 30 years. I can't help but wonder how many times I might have simply told people "Old Swan" was an old pub.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2015, 05:17:24 pm »
The old Swan does look like an old building but appears to have a more modern extension at the rear.   It looks like it was built before 1888 but then it should have appeared on the O/S map.
The deeds should show when it was built though.

Yes, Old Swan was extended at some point. The older looking front part had sash cord windows. I've a feeling that the windows in the other part were metal framed.  Whatever, they opened outwards.  Another thing was that the bedrooms in the front part were rather larger than the ones in the back.  My mother has commented in the past that it should have been extended a few more feet.

I wish I could see the deeds myself.  I can't do that though and don't feel inclined to pester my brother (and by extension, Mrs Wilson) again.

That's a nice photo of the man and boy but I can't place the large house that appears on the left of the photo.  I presume that it was taken on the green in Ffordd Y Pentre.

Isn't that Pydew House?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2015, 08:21:03 pm »
I don't know the name of the property but I've just seen it on Google.  It's above Glan Llyn and has changed a bit since your photo was taken.
The village has changed a lot since you were living there, some of the smaller older properties have been demolished only to be replaced with large modern houses.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2015, 08:53:51 pm »
I don't know the name of the property but I've just seen it on Google.  It's above Glan Llyn and has changed a bit since your photo was taken.

Yes, that's the one, ie. above Glanllyn, we knew as Pydew House. I can't picture what changes there may have been between the picture and when I knew it except, in my memory, it had X or possibly T cross shaped things somewhere on the walls.  I was told they were because of structural problems.

The village has changed a lot since you were living there, some of the smaller older properties have been demolished only to be replaced with large modern houses.

Yep things change. I think what throws me most it that I find it easy to think Pydew always used to exactly as it was when I first moved there and if, OK, I know there were additions like Skerryvore before then, it surely can't have changed say between say 1800 and 1900 sort of thing.  It's silly but my mind keeps expecting the past to be static.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2015, 09:54:35 am »
Some photos for you and Hiraeth:-
The first is Wiga Farm
The second is the new building in Coedlodd Lane that replaced the old wooden bungalow that was the 1st on the left in the lane
The third is Glan Llyn
The fourth is Ty Capel
The fifth and sixth are the obelisk and the view from that area

Offline squiggle

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2015, 11:56:41 am »
Thanks Hugo.  I've not seen the Goedlodd Lane one in any form.  If it replaced the one I'm thinking of, I'm a bit sorry to think of what might have happened to the garden since the last time I saw it - which yes is a good few years ago....  The then owner told us she let it do its own thing. It was kept under control but it's quite possible the flowers were mostly things that had self set.  I seen to remember blues and purples.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2015, 02:20:32 pm »
There is also another brand new house in that lane, it's on the right a bit further along.   Another one I like in that lane is Midacres, it's a large property on the left and was once a tea room with tennis courts and croquet lawns
Planning policy has changed over the years and one property I was interested in was Bwlch Farm.    It was an old long low  building but last time I walked in Pydew that old building had been demolished and a massive new house had been built in the grounds

Offline squiggle

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2015, 02:39:04 pm »
Thanks again Hugo. That is all new to me.

I can't really picture how Bwlch farm used to look but I passed it loads of times.  It also used to be a sort of landmark to me on occasions I walked up that way. I don't know if you've ever done that sort of thing but for me on foot, it was sort of "stage completed - now, do I fancy going left and going past Maelgwyn or shall I fork right?"

Re planning permissions.  Back at a time when things were going well for me and it looked as if I would be able to do it, we did try to get outline planning permission for a bungalow at the bottom of the grounds of Skerryvore, with an entrance onto Goedlodd Lane.  This was flatly refused, I think on the grounds of "green belt".

One other thing that way.  I think that when my mother sold Skerryvore, she managed to get some form of preservation order on the old walnut tree down the bottom.  I hope its still standing,

Offline squiggle

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2015, 05:14:10 pm »
Here's on for you. Hugo.  I've not got a picture.

If you were to walk up to the top of Old Swan garden, there were a couple of tracks (not as far as I know ever proper paths but they were there).  Going straight up would take you onto "the mountain". Turning right would take you past Field Croft's garden, pass Rala and the chapel, etc. and you would wind up on the footpath that ran from that area to Goedlodd lane.  There were the ruins of an old cottage there sort of behind Sea View and in the woods. I've a feeling it was called Hafod. Long ago and long lost I found an old oil lamp (minus glass) which I managed to polish and get working.  I think that was also where a brother much later managed to find a couple of decent Codds bottles and/ or ginger beers (he collects old bottles). Ideal property for renovation??

Going left btw used to lead to another attraction btw. I think you may have had to go on the mountain first to do that but you could come out near Pen Dre.  There used to what was left of an old car there, just a rusted chassis.  But hey as young kids in search of adventure, it still had a steering wheel and you could pretend to drive it...