Author Topic: Wyddfydd Road, Great Orme 1927  (Read 33274 times)

Offline Kaye

Re: Wyddfydd Road,Cyll Tce, Great Orme 1927
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2015, 10:03:02 am »
Oh-That's great news. I wait with great hopes of hearing more.Incidentally,I had  my children into my late 30's,although I just
had three!
In trying to find more information about St.Beuno's ,I came across a good summary of the life of Francis Parry Watkin-Davies,the Rector who baptised Patricia .
Thank you Ian for pointing that out.I will leave out the gaps .Hope that's better.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Wyddfydd Road, Great Orme 1927
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 10:15:17 am »
I remember my brother's daughters getting baptised in St Beuno's and that it was a nice little Church but that was over 30 years ago.   I don't know when it closed as a Church and came into private ownership though.
To get to Cyll Terrace by car you have to drive down St Beuno's Road then past the Church.  The Terrace is set back from the road and is on its own.   You can't see it on Google Street view but you can if you go to the satellite view.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 04:37:37 pm »
Hi Kaye,   just to let you know that I've sent a PM to you and will send another one as soon as I know more.

Offline Kaye

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2015, 06:09:57 pm »
Many thanks Hugo for the message.It would be very good to have some missing pieces if possible , reasons for information being a) ideally to locate Patricia's grave b)to trace Phyllis'family back to my GGP and beyond,and c)to know about Phyllis' life .  I have been going over the censuses again

Offline Kaye

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2015, 06:46:33 pm »
Oh dear.That went of its own accord and before I'd finished.
I have been revisiting the 1901 census:Where is Phyllis? At 6 years old she could be at her grandparents' ,whose names I don't
know,but her maternal grandparents could be Edwards and potentially still at Glan Conway.Alternatively if not with relatives or
friends she could be in hospital.Alternatively as you say she may not be born just yet.
I have found three Phyllis Williams close together born in Llandudno:1893,1894 and 1901(July,Aug,Sep) and therefore after the night of the census.The information for 1894 is not from an original certificate,but has parents as John and Anne nee Edwards and John as master stone  mason at Lwynon Gardens and I found John in Slater's Directory 1895 as such with this address.
Gladys is difficult to trace as there are quite a few.
The boys however have quite unique names.From trawling free BMD and NW bmd.John Owen Tudno was born 1898(a,m,j) 
and Caradog at 11 months in 1901 can only be Caradog Roland born afterthe  census taken on March 31st in 1901(a,m,j)and links strongly with 1911 at Alexandra Road.My mother was only given names John and Roland.However she could not remember having been told of Adelaide Nellie.
I hope your contact may be able to help with these matters.I  shall go to the library  next week and see if I can find Phyllis in 1901.
If she was on holiday I shan't have much luck!
I saw that Llandudno had a big parade today .I hope the weather was fine for it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 10:36:56 pm »
If you can just hang on for a few more days there may be no need for any more searching and I'll keep you informed by a PM.

Because Patricia was living on the Great Orme it would be assumed that she would be buried at St Tudno's Church on the Great Orme but the Archivist could not trace her grave on the data base which was strange but as I mentioned previously the records from the Church are not up to date.    However even if they were and her grave did not have a headstone the Church records don't tell you where her grave plot would be.

There were two burial grounds for Llandudno,  St Hilary's at Llanrhos being the other but I never checked that Burial Index.   I will when I next go to the Archives but don't hold up much hope of finding it there

Offline Hugo

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2015, 04:03:06 pm »
Hi Kaye,   I popped over to the Archives today but could find no trace of Phyllis' siblings or Patricia in the Burial Indexes for St Hilary's at Llanrhos and St Tudno's on the Great Orme.    I won't to any further searches now but will wait for contact to be made from the Williams family member.
By the way  Adalaide Nellie could have been called Adalaide Ellen.   Nellie was actual a nickname for Ellen, a very popular name in its day, in fact my Nain (Grandmother) was also called Ellen but everyone called her Nell.

Offline Kaye

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 08:36:40 pm »
Thank you very much Hugo for looking again. Hopefully some new information will come in soon.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 08:41:32 am »
Hugo,

Just a thought.  I am not sure what records the archives have regarding burials on the Great Orme but as far as I know the records for the much larger municipal cemetery (as opposed to the adjacent St Tudno's church yard)are held by Conwy CBC at the Crematorium in Bron y Nant. Do archives have access to these as well as the church ones?

Offline Kaye

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2015, 03:18:54 pm »
Thank you, Cambrian.I have been able to eliminate this,now.
It must be a churchyard but likely unmarked.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2015, 11:25:16 am »
I did phone the Crem today and spoke to a lady who advised me that another lady had been asking the same question yesterday.    I take it that it was you Kaye following that up.
I'll e-mail my cousin and see how things are going with the local Williams person

Offline Kaye

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2015, 03:43:43 pm »
No, there was no child of that name buried there,but it was worth trying as Cambrian had mentioned it as a possibility early on.
I think as you say we may know more if some one who remembers the family can shed some light on it.I do hope so,but
for now we may have to accept the grave is not traceable.

I think I have found a possible marriage record for John and Ann but don't want to send off for it just yet until I'm more certain they are my "Williams".
I hope to get to the library tomorrow to go over the censuses again.
(Hugo-I can receive your messages,thank you but I can't reply unfortunately  ,the reason explained by Ian in "Suggestions" thread.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 08:13:55 am »
Cambrian,   I was in the Archives yesterday and found the Baptism record of Caradog Roland Williams in 1900.  The address was as Kaye previously stated "Northern Grove  Maelgwyn Terrace.
Do you have any idea where this was?      In the 1901 Census the family was living in Winllan Avenue and I was wondering if Maelgwyn Terrace was just one of the many terraces in that street and just lost its name when the street was named or renumbered.

Norman have you been able to contact the Williams family member    :)     Kaye has told me that she is hoping to come to the town next month and any info she gets now will help her in her family research

Offline Hugo

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2015, 09:14:56 am »
I put into Google "Northern Grove Llandudno"  and came across an article in the Great Orme Exploration Society which was interesting but doesn't confirm that this is the Northern Grove we are looking for.
Very briefly it stated that "Henry Jones  Northern Grove 1898"  At one time one of the houses in Bodhyfryd Road was called Northern Grove and was occupied by a Mr Henry Jones.
This may or may not be the address of the 1900 Baptism of Roland Williams but perhaps Cambrian may have the answer.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2015, 12:34:33 pm »
Hugo

I think Maelgwyn Terrace could be the northern side of what is now Maelgwyn Road.  When the southern side (Oval) was built, they probably changed the name to "Road".