Author Topic: Wyddfydd Road, Great Orme 1927  (Read 33276 times)

Offline Kaye

Wyddfydd Road, Great Orme 1927
« on: August 05, 2015, 11:47:15 pm »
Hello-I am trying to find some missing pieces in my family history
Can anyone tell me anything of the history of 9,Wyddfydd Road,Great Orme? Was it a residential property,or a place of employment and if so who lived
there.I am particularly interested in the year 1927 when it was given as the place of birth on a certificate I have.

My ancestors names were Williams and probably Edwards so I am trying to verify facts and proceed with caution before going
to the next step.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Wyddfydd Road, Great Orme 1927
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 08:34:58 am »
Kaye,

The Town Directories are a useful starting point, there are ones either side of 1927.

In 1925, the householder was Edgar B Evans, an upholsterer.  He is also noted as a juror which meant he was the ratepayer and may be the property owner rather than a tenant. (Same details are in the 1922 directory).

In 1929, the householder is Thomas Evans, a labourer.

By 1939, the head of household was Ephraim Hall.

Hope this is of help.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:08:23 am »
This address is a terrace of residential two storey  properties but what is unusual about them is that they are actually flats.    If I'm not mistaken the bottom flats are called Prospect Terrace.
There are a number of Street Indexes in the Conwy Archives but non for 1927 unfortunately.
If you are looking for anything in particular the local newspapers Llandudno Advertiser and the North Wales Weekly News  may have some info in them

Offline Kaye

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 01:51:12 pm »
Thankyou very much Cambrian and Hugo. All information is potentially useful.

I only have evidence of the address for the birth in 1927 so it may be a place of work, a temporary or unexpected address for
the birth only.I wonder if there would have been a local midwife at that time?
However I shall explore further to see if there is a link between Williams/Evans and I shall try the local papers online as you
suggest.

Sadly the little girl died at the Isolation Hospital of diphtheria in April 1930 .I think it is likely to be Maesdu Road.How far would that be from the G.Orme?
What would be the most likely place for a burial and would any restrictions apply because of the infection?I don't know  of any
particular religious denomination? It would be wonderful to find it if it exists.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:07:52 pm »
Possibly the expectant mother went to a relative for the confinement - could her mother have lived  there ?

The usual place of burial at that time would have the Council cemetery on the Great Orme's Head.  The Council's burials and cremations records for municipal cemeteries are held at the Crematorium, Bron y Nant, Mochdre, Colwyn Bay. 

The Isolation Hospital was what became the Medical Annexe in Maesdu Road as Hugo mentioned.  It is at the junction of Maesdu Road and Maesdu Place.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 06:32:54 pm »
Without knowing the circumstances it's difficult to speculate, but if the mother was unmarried she may have gone to a relative for the birth.  However there are a number of avenues that could be followed up such as:-

Do you know the name and date of birth of the child?

Then there is the possibility that the child was baptised in Llandudno

Maesdu Road is about a mile or two  from Wyddfyd Road but the child would normally be buried on the Great Orme at St Tudno's Cemetery.
The Burial Index for St Tudno's is at the Conwy Archives and is easy to trace if the child's grave had a headstone
There is also the possibility of an article in the local papers but I don't know if they are online for those years but the original papers can be seen in the Archives

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 07:55:38 pm »
I've just had a nice conversation with an old friend and neighbour who advised me that his relatives also lived at No 9 but in 1939.
He does know that the properties were not privately owned but were rented from a company called Llandudno Buildings and Workmens Dwellings and asked me to convey this info to the forum

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 09:12:33 am »
I've just had a nice conversation with an old friend and neighbour who advised me that his relatives also lived at No 9 but in 1939.
He does know that the properties were not privately owned but were rented from a company called Llandudno Buildings and Workmens Dwellings and asked me to convey this info to the forum
A company that is still in business today, worth over £1.6m:
http://companycheck.co.uk/company/00022672

Offline Kaye

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 08:58:14 pm »
Thanks for those replies, local knowledge is so valuable.

The papers online are too early but I did find a snippet that mentioned Prospect Tce being parallel to Wyddfyd Road,

and also a notice of Pte Edgar Evans of Wyddfyd Road, member of St.Paul's choir and Llandudno Operatic  Society

who was sadly killed in France in 1917. The articles are so interesting it's easy to get sidetracked.

I have found two possible marriages to investigate between Williams/Evans which could  mean, therefore that 9,Wyddfyd Rd

was a sister or brother's home. I shall have to revisit the censuses at the library next week before ordering certificates.

Knowing the company is useful in case rent books still survive .Please thank your neighbour,Hugo.

I have not found a baptism record online .

Family talk had always assumed that there  would be a grave on the Great Orme

somewhere. 

The other address I have is 3,Cyll Terrace in 1930 on the death  certificate.This correlates with an address on Williams/Hobson

marriage in 1922 which  would be a brother.He was a bricklayer as was his father and bride's father.This was at St.George's

church(parish Register online).

Would Cyll Terrace be called Hill Terrace locally as I have seen this mentioned in articles?

I shall carry out as many of the suggestions as I can.I cannot visit Llandudno for a day trip but certainly will make it  a longer

visit at some point when I have done as much homework as I can.I'll keep you posted!

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 09:53:54 pm »
Hi Kaye cyll terrace is further up the tram track than wydfydd , years ago families in prospect terrace /wydfydd road used to take other families in , Hobsons lived in rofft place across the way from wydfydd they were builders /bricklayers ,good luck on your search .

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 09:54:11 pm »
Hi Kaye cyll terrace is further up the tram track than wydfydd , years ago families in prospect terrace /wydfydd road used to take other families in , Hobsons lived in rofft place across the way from wydfydd they were builders /bricklayers ,good luck on your search .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 10:08:00 pm »
A lot of things are not online but are available at the Conwy Archives in Lloyd Street Llandudno.   Wyddfyd Road is actually a terrace of flats although they look like houses from the street view.   Prospect Terrace are the flats directly under those in Wyddfyd Road.
Just so you are aware the Baptism Records,  newspapers,  burial records, Register of electors and Wedding Banns are available at the Archives.
Do you have a name for the child that died or are you looking for some thing in particular?

Offline Kaye

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 10:43:37 pm »
Thankyou Norman-The address I have for Margaret Hobson and her father John is 1,Cyll Tce so my relative seems to have

married the girl next door! I'll see if I can find a link to the address you've given.

Hugo-re Wyddfyd Rd- I have missing pieces between1911 and 1927 and want to make sure in view of the common surname

that I link the correct family.In the absence of 1921 census I think its worth trying to verify these years by cross referencing.

Patricia Annie Williams was born 15th June 1927 and died 14th April 1930.She is really the link to the past as her mother

would have been my grandmother.I think she may have left Llandudno  soon after this death  and possibly lost contact.She died when my mother was young but her mentions of the Great Orme left a lasting memory for my mother .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 08:45:09 am »
Kaye,   the Conwy Archives is open to the public Mondays to Thursdays so I'll try and pop over there next week and see what I can find out about Patricia Annie Williams,
Sometimes obituary notices etc give a bit of info on the family but I'll post it on here after I've gone there.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 09:27:34 am »
Kaye - just to help whilst other information comes to light.

In the 1929 Directory, 1 Cyll Terrace was occupied by John Hobson, a mason.  3 Cyll Terrace was occupied by John Williams, a plasterer.

The Hobsons are quite a large family in Llandudno.  For example: on the Great Orme in 1927  there were:

William Hobson, labourer, Wyddfyd Farm
Anthony Hobson, labourer, 4 Wyddfyd Terrace
Mrs Ellen Hobson, 19 St Beuno's Road
John Hobson,  2 Belle View Terrace
John Hobson, Ivy Mount, Tyn y Coed Road
Joseph Hobson, mason, 2 Tan y Craig

All of these are within a short distance of each other.

If you look the Genealogy section of this site and go to page 4, the second item down is "The Llandudno Hobson Family".  You may find a lot more information there - including some from Hugo.