Author Topic: Surf Snowdonia  (Read 14398 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: Surf Snowdonia
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 05:53:14 pm »
No, but had I jumped into the water then the top photo would have been how it would have appeared without the wave machine on😀 We did however manage to get soaked as the waves lapped over the edge of the viewing platforms.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 06:52:03 pm »
The opening of Surf Snowdonia on Saturday has seen the region further enhanced as a hotspot for extreme sports and outdoor activities.
The globally anticipated inland surf lagoon has been developed by Wavegarden at the village of Dolgarrog, in the Conwy Valley and will see surfers tackle full power 6ft waves.
The facility joins a number of existing attractions from Bear Grylls survival courses and paintballing to Zip World Titan and Zip World Velocity.
So if you are an adrenaline junkie, have a look at our list below and get ready for an experience of a lifetime...

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/9-north-wales-outdoor-adventures-9763174

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 09:21:43 am »
It's going to take a little investigation, but we suspect the noise the wave pool system makes when running sounds very similar to a jetliner's take off and landing. The noise - if it is the Surf centre - can be heard beyond Llanrwst - and clearly at Nebo, for instance.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 09:31:44 am »
We paid a visit to Surf Snowdonia yesterday afternoon. I didn't find it noisy at all.

The whole complex is still very much unfinished, with builders wandering around and the car park a muddy mess. Great facility, though, hope it is a success.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 09:44:04 am »
Could the noise reported by Ian actually be the Swiss Air Force - they have (I was told last night) 12 planes (Pilatus PC-21s) at Valley and have been carrying out a lot of flights above the Cpnwy Valley.

Checking out flightradar24.com now and there's one been buzzing around a lot in the past hour or so ... done a lot in the Llanrwst to Cerrig-y-Drudion area ... link to website and look for planes with the code COL and two digits.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 09:56:17 am »
Ah.  My better half thought it was a jet at first, and when I listened the sound seemed to be coming from Betws then shifted abruptly to Trefriw. Your explanation certainly makes sense, DVT. Thank you.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 10:13:34 am »
Got me thinking, now. Wonder why the Swiss airforce is training over here? It can't be that they're short of mountains over there. Now the Swiss navy - that I could understand...  WWW

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 06:06:14 pm »
We paid a visit this afternoon,  saw the wave and wow, amazing,  we have not seen  anything like it before. The place was as DaveR says still being finished off, but the place has a great buzz to it and was very busy. You can sit and watch the wave from inside the cafe, or on lots of seating outside. Everything looks well built, the buildings look good too! I found watching the wave was very interesting, must take a lot of energy to move so much water so quickly!
Should be wonderful for the local area with 110 jobs created!  I have no interest in surfing, but i did like watching this. Will I have a go on it? No way Pedro!☺  by the way Ian, we did not notice any noise.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 06:53:02 pm »
I'm sure the noise is the aircraft DVT mentioned.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2015, 11:04:41 am »
Just seen this on Facebook.......

**IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL OUR CUSTOMERS**
We’re really sorry to announce that our surf lagoon will have to close for a number of days, effective immediately.
This unavoidable closure is due to a mechanical fault which became apparent earlier this morning. In order to carry out the necessary repairs our engineers need to drain the lagoon completely. The repair process will take a number of days and we will update you regularly as the situation becomes clearer.
All customers who have sessions booked on our surf lagoon will be offered a full refund or a credit on their Surf Snowdonia account, whichever they would prefer.
All other activities at Surf Snowdonia, including our Soft Play Shack, café bar, retail and coffee shops will continue to function as normal. Guests who have accommodation booked in our camping pods may still stay on site if they wish to.
We are really sorry for the disruption and disappointment that this unavoidable closure will cause to our visitors who had sessions booked in the coming days. We’d like to assure you that we are working very hard to rectify the problem as soon as possible.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 11:48:35 am »
Surf Snowdonia could be back open by Saturday
Surf Snowdonia could re-open by Saturday after initial dry testing proved a success.

The world first commercial inland surf lagoon opened in Dolgarrog, in the Conwy Valley on August 1 - attracting attention from around the world.
But the lagoon, which has created more than 100 jobs and expects 75,000 visitors a year, closed last week after a mechanical fault.
Since then engineers have been working around the clock to identify and repair the mechanical problem.

Today they started dry testing of the facility which has proved successful.
They now hope to start to re-fill the lagoon - developed by Wavegarden - on Wednesday with the fill due to be completed on Thursday afternoon when full testing will start.

They have also set aside Friday for tests before re-opening on Saturday if all goes well.
A spokeswoman said: “Our Wavegarden engineers have been hard at work this weekend and we’re pleased to announce we have made good progress on the repairs.
“We have been dry-testing today and these tests have gone well.
“The current plan is that testing will continue and then we hope to start to fill the lagoon on Wednesday, this will continue into Thursday when we hope to start further testing in the afternoon.
“We have also set aside Friday for testing because the last thing we want to do is rush this and again leave people disappointed.

“If all goes well then we hope to re-open the lagoon on Saturday.”
She added: “The lagoon is fully booked until the end of the school holidays so we are hoping we will be able to honour bookings from Saturday and then fit in those people who have missed out in slots in the coming weeks.
“Full refunds are also available.

“We are very grateful for everyone’s patience.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/surf-snowdonia-could-back-open-9920523

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 09:09:53 am »
Surf Snowdonia closed again.  :(

Surf Snowdonia to close again after rip in lagoon liner
11:53, 22 SEP 2015 UPDATED 09:38, 23 SEP 2015
BY OWEN HUGHES

The world's first commercial surfing lagoon - which also closed in August following a mechanical failure - will shut again for two days

Surf Snowdonia is set close again after a rip in the lagoon liner that is causing water to leak.

The world's first commercial surfing lagoon - which also closed for 10 days in August following a mechanical fault - will this time shut for four days.

This will allow engineers to partially drain the lagoon to repair the tear in the liner at the giant surf lagoon which first opened in Dolgarrog, in the Conwy Valley on August 1.

It will close for four days from Wednesday, reopening on Sunday, September 27.

The facility has just hosted the world's top surfers at the Red Bull Unleashed event but Surf Snowdonia say it is unlikely it was caused by a surf board.

A spokeswoman said: "Surf Snowdonia regrets to announce that its surf lagoon will have to close.

"The closure is due to a tear in the lagoon liner which is allowing water to leak.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/surf-snowdonia-close-again-after-10107060

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2015, 12:19:00 pm »
Stopped off yesterday to check the place out and the lagoon was in the process of being refilled, so hopefully all will be back to normal this week-end.  $good$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 07:45:56 am »
We nipped over to the lagoon and it was filled and operating normally. It was our first visit and I was intrigued to see how the waves are generated.  As ME observes, the power needed to shift that amount of water must be fairly high.

A lot of the site is still in development but some of their approach is excellent.  Making the car park free to encourage viewing is a great idea, the relatively low prices in the cafe is good and the idea of opening before the rest of the site is finished makes a lot of sense.  The little 'pods' they have for resident visitors are basic but seem comfortable.

The location, finally, is stunning.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 09:29:18 am »
We visited Surf Snowdonia on Saturday morning and they were just finishing refilling the lagoon then. It's a great addition to the local attractions list, but I do wonder how they will ever get a return on their £12m investment.