Author Topic: Old films and video of the Three towns Area  (Read 23934 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Old films and video of the Three towns Area
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 10:34:13 am »
I think it's already been posted - in Amusing YouTube Videos topic.

Edit:  It has, Nem, so I'll move this to that topic.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 10:37:34 am »
Th8nking about it, I suspect we need a separate topic for Three Towns films and videos, so I'll sort that when I get back.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 11:08:00 am »
Th8nking about it, I suspect we need a separate topic for Three Towns films and videos, so I'll sort that when I get back.

Gr8   idea, Ian............. :)  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 09:39:38 am »
Great video of the Craigside Hydro Hotel back in 1954:
http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-craigside-hydro-hotel-llandudno-1954/

Offline Greyhound

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 10:58:29 am »
I agree town does look lovely in these films, especially the 1975 one. However, this was a promotional film, so if it didn't look great, then I am sure the council would have asked the production company for their money back. Had they filmed Llandudno on a wintery Sunday afternoon in 1975, then I think we would all agree it would have been a dreary and depressing scene, with fewer people around than today as many hotels closed out of season and no-one came on holiday for weekends as they do now.

I am also equally sure that if you filmed a similar film now, during a sunny summer day when the town is packed (which still does happen), that Llandudno would still look as good. I think the main difference would be fewer people sunbathing down on the beach, but I think that's the same in most UK resorts these days.

Some things have definitely improved locally since then though and that would be the eating out selections and food on offer and the standard of hotel accommodation, which is vastly better than back then. I think the buildings look nicer now than back then, better painted and restored (bar the obvious local eyesores).

I must say, that disco scene was awful though. Not sure where that 'club' was but it looked pretty bad.

I think that in terms of the look of gardens etc. things went downhill very soon after this when the Urban District Council was abolished (though it went in 1974 actually -even though it's credited in this film). Certainly Llandudno in the 80s was far closer to the Llandudno of today in terms of how well the council looked after it than it was to this film.     

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 12:12:38 pm »
Good post, Greyhound.

I think we need to get back to basics with the parks in Llandudno. Green spaces like Happy Valley and Haulfre Gardens need a regular, dedicated gardener looking after them - would that really cost so much? Surely the Town Council could contribute?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 12:18:11 pm »
I think that in terms of the look of gardens etc. things went downhill very soon after this when the Urban District Council was abolished (though it went in 1974 actually -even though it's credited in this film).

And the gardens should be one of Llandudno's selling points.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 01:08:45 pm »
I noticed the Llandudno UDC reference as well Greyhound.  Keen observers will have also noticed Vernon Moore credited as the Associate Producer.  Vernon was Llandudno UDC's Publicity Officer and retired on reorganisation in 1974.  I think the film must have been shot in 1973 but, for whatever reason, was not polished off and released until early 1975.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 03:54:43 pm »
Rare footage of Colwyn Bay remembering its war dead in 1919.

Fascinating footage has emerged providing a glimpse of life in Colwyn Bay at the beginning of the Twentieth Century.

The black and white silent film belongs to Conwy Archives Service and is called Colwyn Bay's Tribute to her War Heroes. It is dated November 11th 1919. The First World War had only ended 12 months before the Armistice Day event.

The film shows a procession from the Princess Picture and Variety Theatre, on Princes Drive, in Colwyn Bay , before members of the armed forces, and hundreds of civilians - perhaps who had served themselves - marched through the town.

The march made its way to Colwyn Bay pier, which was then home to the very grand Rivieres Theatre which had opened some 20 years earlier.

It is unrecogniseable compared to the deteriorating condition of the pier today .
Hundreds of people filled the area for the memorial event.

Video............. http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nostalgia/rare-footage-colwyn-bay-remembering-11501050

This maybe on another thread?

Rare footage of Conwy plane crash.  (Rhos on Sea)
Rare footage has emerged of an investigation into a plane crash in Rhos on Sea.

The film, thought to date back to the 1920s, shows crowds of people on the beach as military men look at the wreckage.
The fascinating clip, entitled 'RAF aeroplane wrecked at Rhos on Sea', belongs to Conwy Archives and provides a snapshot into times gone by.
The film has no sound, but shows families - all smartly dressed with men and women in hats - looking at the plane on the seafront.
The plane's registration number is F425.

Video....... http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nostalgia/rare-footage-conwy-plane-crash-10901847

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 08:50:55 am »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 11:02:01 am »
What a fabulous 15 minutes that was.
I felt transported back to an innocent, bygone era, where the simple pace of life gave families such as that a wealth of memories.
This chap must have been such an avid camera buff that he even took the risk of filming whilst actually on the water dodgems!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 11:28:27 am »
What a super film especially the little boy with his blonde curly hair. I wonder what he is doing now.
ME, I think you will like the steam train part.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 01:43:58 pm »
Brilliant....I always feel a little uneasy though about the water dodgem boats which appear to be powered by electricity !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 03:50:38 pm »
Wonderful, we loved the dodgem boats, went on them every holiday, then one year they vanished and the Golden Goose amusements was in it's place!  :(

Nem, they were powered by electricity, never had a shock from them though!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 05:05:20 pm »
It was a lovely clip of Llandudno and the North Wales area.    I noticed that the steps were visible on the West Shore and there was no sand on the grass there but there was sand on the North Shore.
Also Rofft Bach had long since gone and development on the site had not been started.