Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821102 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Walking
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2010, 09:28:45 pm »
(NB turn your mobile phone off when you go anywhere near South Stack because according to my roaming profile I was somewhere in Southern Ireland and picking up O2.IE phone signal. at £2.40 per minute)
That's a common problem on Anglesey and has caught many an unwary user out!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2010, 09:30:14 pm »
I bought the 'Walking in the Conwy Valley' book recently and am hoping to give one of them a try on Sunday if the weather holds.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2010, 11:45:34 am »
I've got that book by Carl Rogers although it seems to be a different edition to the one the Medz has.    The are some nice walks there and not too long which make them ideal for the Winter.
A friend came over last night and we hope to do another one of them soon.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2010, 02:39:05 pm »
I enjoyed a nice short walk last Tuesday with the retirement group.  We met at the Forestry Commission car park in Aber and had a delightful woodland walk leading up to the waterfall.  It was a lovely Autumn day, cool but dry and sunny and as we walked along this beautiful valley we could admire the lovely Autumn colouring of the leaves.
Before long we reached the falls and they were very impressive following the recent spell of rain. There was so much water flowing in the river above the falls  that there was a second but smaller waterfall flowing nearby.
I resisted the temptation to have a look for Trout in the pools below the falls as I had done on a previous visit as the rocks had become so slippy I didn't want to temp fate and fall in!
We retraced our steps back to the car park and although the walk was not strenuous I still enjoyed a coffee and a slice of double chocolate nut cake in the cafe in Aber.     D)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2010, 02:42:04 pm »
Aber Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2010, 04:48:39 pm »
I was due to go on a long awaited walk on the Halkyn Mountains yesterday and was looking forward to the walk.  However when I woke up there was a blanket of snow on the ground and the car was frozen over.
A quick phone call to my friend in Prestatyn and I found out that conditions were even worse there and he had heard that conditions in the Halkyn area were even worse so we called it off.
There's always another day and it would have been silly to chance driving in those conditions. I saw the area on the Welsh news later in the evening and was glad that we did the right thing by calling off the walk.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »
The area behind Holywell is very prone to snow problems. I lived there for five years and there was never a winter I didnt have to get my snow boots out. A big shock coming from Rhos on Sea.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2010, 08:56:10 pm »
Nice walk and photos, Hugo. is that cafe in Aber the one in the middle of the village, a sort of community venture? I recall some very good lemon cake from there about 4 years ago.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2010, 11:14:10 am »
Yes, that's the one Dave.   It's a nice cafe and the cakes that they have there are very moorish!
I made a mistake about 4 years ago when I was doing the full valley walk there with the retired group.  They were going very slowly up the slope below the pylons and I had to leave the group as I had a 5 aside football match in Bangor a short time later.
I ran down the slope where the trees in the shape of a cross where and by the time I got to the road I  realised that I had damaged my knees.
After that I had to pack in football a few months later.   Getting older doesn't always give you common sense.
I've been told to keep off the mountains for a while now to rest the knees but with the weather we have at the moment there is no chance of me going anyway! 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2010, 05:25:18 pm »
Ahh, Hugo.. I sympathise with you in the 'knees' department.
Us humans are badly designed and it always seems to be the knees that pack in first as we grow older.

Like you I had to pack in football about 3 years ago, as my knees were in pain during and after every match.
It was no great loss to the game, although I played thousands of times I was never actually any good.

In terms of walking, as arthritis takes its toll, its always the downhill walk that causes pain because of the constant impact going down through the joint.
Uphill walking is fine.   well.....its fine for now.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2010, 05:32:36 pm »
The weather was great this morning, a beautiful crisp sunny Winter's day. Headed up for a short walk on the Orme, just a light dusting of frozen snow up there, and then back down the tramtracks towards Kava and a hot lunch.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2010, 07:26:42 pm »
Could you hear the bells? In clear weather ie without wind, I often have people tell me how far away they have heard the bells from eg West Shore, Craigside and Anglesea Road (on the Orme for those who don't know) to name just three places.

Stan

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2010, 07:41:37 pm »
I think I would probably have been a bit late today, as it was gone 11am before I was heading up the Orme. I do usually hear the bells in town every Sunday.

ps. Hope your wife is feeling better soon.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2010, 07:43:35 pm »
Thanks Dave, so do I. As I posted elsewhere I am on a limited menu!!

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2010, 08:01:18 pm »
The bells were coming over loud and clear from here this morning. Mrs Medz and I  went for a walk through town on Friday evening at about 7:30 ish and both the sound of the bells and the sight of seeing the bell ringers in action(through the windows of the bell tower) was so atmospheric. It's just a pity there were so few people about to enjoy it.