Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821095 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Walking
« Reply #990 on: February 19, 2013, 11:58:43 pm »
The building is indeed the pumping station at West Shore, Llandudno.... but I am not aware of another to replace it... I'm not aware of a yachting lake either, am I missing something??

Gwynant, fantastic photos by the way.  :)

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #991 on: February 20, 2013, 12:50:08 am »
I thought that pumping station replaced the underground one opposite the old Gogarth Abbey hotel.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #992 on: February 20, 2013, 08:53:36 am »
Fester, I think you will find Hugo is referring to the model boat pond on West Shore.

Yes, and brilliant photos Gwynant.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #993 on: February 20, 2013, 10:55:44 am »
I thought that pumping station replaced the underground one opposite the old Gogarth Abbey hotel.

Isn't it the other way round SDQ.   The one in the picture, flooded immediately in the floods and some mechanism failed and as a result the water couldn't be released into the sea.  From previous comments made it would appear that the pumping station was moved to opposite the old Gogarth Abbey Hotel because that was on higher ground.
If my memory is correct didn't you work there and you were instructed to release the sewage when the tide was not ebbing?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #994 on: February 20, 2013, 11:09:07 am »
It was bus passes out yesterday when I went for a stroll around Bodnant Gardens with the Retirement Group.  Although it was too early for a lot of the trees and plants there was still a lot to see in the Winter gardens.
A beatiful Winter's day followed by a coffee and cake made it very enjoyable. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #995 on: February 20, 2013, 12:10:45 pm »
  The walk you did is one I have always wanted to do, where do you start please, and are there any maps that show the route?   

Martin,  You start the walk from where the Golfers cross the road at Maesdu Golf Club and you will see the public footpath sign.  Here's a brief description of the route:-
Cross the stile and follow the path on the right by the houses. At the last house cross the stile on the right and keep to the path following the wall and at the end of the scrub on your left, keep going left until you reach the base of the hill then go up to the Watchtower.
Retrace your steps to the field but don’t go through the farmyard, but take the stile on the right and then the next stile ahead of you. Turn right and keep along the hedge on the right until you reach the Church.
After you’ve had a look around there, cross back over and go into the cul de sac Cae Mor and follow the footpath to St Mary’s well then make your way to Bryn Lupus Road and turn right.
I would suggest that you keep on the road until you come to Maes Castell and then at the top of the road go through the public footpath to the Castle
As I've said before, try and keep this for a Summer walk as the ground is very wet and deeply rutted and I wouldn't want you to damage that ankle again!

Offline martin

« Reply #996 on: February 20, 2013, 01:19:56 pm »
We were at Bodnant on Monday afternoon, the warm weather had brought the people out, even 10 minutes before it was due to close at 15.00 hrs, people were still coming in.  I am posting the attached photo to test the settings on my newly acquired file size reduction application, fingers crossed.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #997 on: February 20, 2013, 02:21:40 pm »
Smashing picture Martin
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline martin

« Reply #998 on: February 20, 2013, 02:50:25 pm »
Thanks Nemesis, it was the lovely weather and the low angle of the sun, not really much to do with me.   It looks like I have sorted the file size reduction.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #999 on: February 20, 2013, 03:25:48 pm »

Isn't it the other way round SDQ.   The one in the picture, flooded immediately in the floods and some mechanism failed and as a result the water couldn't be released into the sea.  From previous comments made it would appear that the pumping station was moved to opposite the old Gogarth Abbey Hotel because that was on higher ground.
If my memory is correct didn't you work there and you were instructed to release the sewage when the tide was not ebbing?

That was nearly 30 years ago when I was doing my apprenticeship, the pumping station in the picture wasn't even built then.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1000 on: February 20, 2013, 04:18:31 pm »
I know it wasn't built then but didn't you have instructions to release the sewage when the tide wasn't ebbing as it would have caused a backup somewhere and the damage would have been worse than releasing the stuff on a flow tide.

Offline mull

« Reply #1001 on: February 20, 2013, 05:20:14 pm »
Is the building in the photo still in use ?

In addition to the building in front of the Gogarth Abbey I recall lot of work carried out in front of the Sandringham Hotel  few years back.

Was this also sewerage related ?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1002 on: February 20, 2013, 06:32:18 pm »
I know it wasn't built then but didn't you have instructions to release the sewage when the tide wasn't ebbing as it would have caused a backup somewhere and the damage would have been worse than releasing the stuff on a flow tide.

What I was trying to say was the pumping station in the picture is newer than the one opposite the Gogarth Abbey, what I don't know is if it replaced it or if they run in tandem as the old one struggled in very bad weather as the tanks were built before Llandudno expanded to it's current size. On a couple of occasions we had to open the storm valve, which is a bit further again towards the Toll House, regardless of the tide to stop the pump house from flooding, probably why the newer one wasn't built underground.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1003 on: February 23, 2013, 04:21:38 pm »
I've often walked on Nantlle Ridge and Moel Hebog and looked down on Cwm Pennant but have never walked in that valley before.  I've been fascinated about it after reading the quote of Eifion Wyn a Welsh Shepherd-poet who famously wrote "O God why did'st thou make Cwm Pennant so beautiful and the life of an old Shepherd so short"
Eifion died in 1926 aged 59 but lived at the time when the valley was being exploited for slate so I was keen to see for myself how beautiful it was.
Three friends and myself met in Penygroes and then I drove down the lane to Cwm Pennant. The first thing we saw were some unusual cottages but we drove on and parked by a lovely old bridge just past the old Church of Llanfihangel Y Pennant. We then followed a narrow lane into the valley and the first building we came to was the old school with a school house attached.   The valley is one of the most beautiful in Snowdonia and is cradled by high stark peaks and drained by the deep and crystal clear waters of the Afon Dwyfor.
We kept our eyes open for the Otters but couldn't see any, but Buzzards followed us all down the valley making their distinctive call.  Passing a Chapel that was closed and up for sale we carried on and saw many abandoned cottages that litter the hillside. There were numerous bridges too that criss crossed  the river. Towards the head of the valley we took a right fork in the road which took us up an incline to an old tramway and there we took shelter from the biting wind while we had our refreshments.  It was soon time to move on but instead of exploring the Prince of Wales slate mine ahead,  we decided to save that for another day and followed the tramway back along the side of the hill and further on we descended across scrubby ground to cross some stepping stones and walk the rest of the journey back along the lane.  A quick visit to the Church finished the walk and after the seven mile walk we all agreed that this area is quite unique.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1004 on: February 23, 2013, 04:24:16 pm »
Cwm Pennant walk