Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820736 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #945 on: December 29, 2012, 11:26:18 am »
Thanks Nemesis, have you taken Frizzy up there yet or are you a bit wary of him doing the same?

Fester, we were in the cafe at about 1.00 ish and it was howling outside and pouring down, The cafe certainly lived up to its name and those Lattes did taste as good as they looked.    $cofffee$   
Hope that you and Mrs Fester both enjoyed the walk despite the weather.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #946 on: December 29, 2012, 04:09:07 pm »
some great photos Hugo, wander were the rock would have ended up if the fence wasn't there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #947 on: December 29, 2012, 05:33:27 pm »
I'm afraid that there is worse to come Snowcap because there is a lot of erosion going on, especially on the west side of the Orme and that fence is only on a short stretch of the Monks Path near the Toll House.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #948 on: December 29, 2012, 08:43:44 pm »
I'm afraid that there is worse to come Snowcap because there is a lot of erosion going on, especially on the west side of the Orme and that fence is only on a short stretch of the Monks Path near the Toll House.
I was saying to Fester only a couple of days ago that the day may come when the Marine Drive has to be permanently closed to traffic for that very reason.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #949 on: December 29, 2012, 09:19:58 pm »
they say the wet weather is hear for some time to come so that is not going to help

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #950 on: December 30, 2012, 09:11:37 am »
Thanks Nemesis, have you taken Frizzy up there yet or are you a bit wary of him doing the same?

Alsa Hugo I haven't, he is not good on a lead ( he pulls), we daren't let him off, or we'd never see him again, so I daren't risk being pulled down the hill!.
At present he is still on short walks and no jumping having just had his stitches out from quite a big op for Cryptorchidism. ( Look it up on Google--after breakfast !!) He is wearing his 'bonnet' or he would have chewed himself to bits by now. We are now hoping that the internal stitches have healed OK, but he is being very good--just fed up.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #951 on: December 30, 2012, 12:31:42 pm »
I Googled that word and it made my eyes water thinking about it. Poor Frizzy, he's got my sympathy and I hope he feels better soon   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #952 on: December 30, 2012, 12:38:54 pm »
I was saying to Fester only a couple of days ago that the day may come when the Marine Drive has to be permanently closed to traffic for that very reason.

It was closed for a while in recent years when a large rockfall happened just before St Petrocks.  The rockfall broke the boundary wall on the Marine Drive and residents in Marine Drive and Llys Helyg Drive had to travel to Llandudno  the wrong way around the Orme.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #953 on: December 30, 2012, 12:42:26 pm »
I Googled that word and it made my eyes water thinking about it. Poor Frizzy, he's got my sympathy and I hope he feels better soon

Thanks for that Hugo-- he rather likes all this fuss and sympathy, but not desperately all these visits to the vet!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #954 on: January 05, 2013, 05:58:13 pm »
Today we had a visit to the Iron Age Hillforts of Penycloddiau and Moel Arthur which are situated on the ridge of the Clwydian Hills.   It's a fairly strenuous route of nearly eight miles and has steep climbs and ascents between the forts.  We drove down a lane next to the Afonwen Craft Centre and after a few miles came to a small parking area for the start of our walk.  Then it was a steep climb following the Offa's Dyke path, the paths are good but today were very muddy so we had to be extra careful especially on the steep descents.  We reached the hill fort of Penycloddiau fairly quickly and this hillfort is very impressive being the largest on the Clwydian Hills.  It's triple banks are still remarkably well preserved and 50 acres lie within its enclosure.  The views on a clear day from here are breathtaking but unfortunately visibility wasn't so good today and the light was poor but even so you could see the Carneddau to the west, the Berwyns to the south and the Wirral and Liverpool to the east.  Keith and Pete could make out the Cathedrals in Liverpool but they have younger eyes than me!    After a good luck around we continued on the path to the car park at Llangwyfan Woods and then another steep climb up to Moel Arthur faced us.  We came to a brow of a hill and Pete said that it was only 100 yards further but when we reached the brow it still seemed miles away but we got there quickly.   It was so windy and cold on that summit and with no shelter we had to wait until we got down to the car park  before having well earned refreshments.   From there the route was more sheltered and took us through a forest following the contours of Penycloddiau.  It was a muddy track for most of the way but it was nice to see so many people out walking and some with their dogs too. Eventually we reached our car, tired but happy after enjoying a nice walking experience together.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #955 on: January 05, 2013, 06:01:37 pm »
Penycloddiau and Moel Arthur

Offline hollins

« Reply #956 on: January 09, 2013, 09:55:48 pm »
Had a gorgeous walk today in the Lake District. We walked from the Lodore Falls Hotel to Keswick along the west shore of Derwentwater. When we reached Keswick we had a look around the Pencil Museum. The pencil factory has moved from Keswick to newer premises but thankfully they are still manufactured in Cumbria.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #957 on: January 09, 2013, 10:27:45 pm »
Great pics there Hollins! looks lovely! $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #958 on: January 09, 2013, 11:29:48 pm »
Yeah, I heard about the Lake District.  I didn't used to live too far from there. So I went.

All I found was a district, full of lakes.... geographical indentations full of water, valley flooded for thousands of years.
I mean, whats all that about?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

« Reply #959 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:04 pm »
We did another walk when we were in the Lake District this week. The day could not have been more different weather wise with the hills all shrouded in mist.
The walk was along the shore of Lake Windermere near Far Sawrey and the area was beautifully maintained by the National Trust.
My reason though for putting these two photos on are because I thought they fitted Fester's vision of the Lake District ("geographical indentations full of water, valley flooded for thousands of years") much more accurately than the ones with blue skies.
These are colour photos but they could be black and white. What a difference the weather makes to the experience.