Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821463 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Walking
« Reply #915 on: November 16, 2012, 08:52:44 am »
I have checked back and seen that previous posts have mentioned the Beaumaris to Penmon walk but it was such a lovely day for us I am hoping that these photos will be of interest.
We set off from Beaumaris in bright sunshine and soon discovered that the tide was too far in to continue on the coast path despite my husband's efforts (first photo)!
We made our way eventually to Penmon using some roads and small lanes. Very little traffic so not really a problem.
I recognised the Penmon area from quiz questions on the forum, very educational!
We walked out to the lighthouse and the view of Puffin Island and the Great Orme in the distance.
We set off back for Beaumaris, this time keeping to the coast and beach as much as possible with the tide now out. It was a bit hard going for the tired legs walking on the rocks and pebbles but we eventually made it back to our car in Beaumaris with the light fading quickly.
A pleasant detour on the way back is to turn right at the old Saunders Roe factory and then left along the country road that leads past Henllys Hall and then comes out in Beaumaris. A short way up the drive to Henllys Hall is the Golf Clubhouse, where the cafe is open to all and has a pleasant verandah to sit out on and admire the view.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #916 on: November 16, 2012, 03:18:47 pm »
Some lovely views there, Hollins.  If you have not yet been there, Penmon Priory, St. Seiriol's Well, the dove cote, etc are very interesting and well worth visiting. 

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #917 on: November 16, 2012, 03:26:28 pm »
Yes, thanks Blodyn. We saw them for the first time yesterday.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #918 on: November 18, 2012, 11:50:49 am »
Yesterday we met at Waunfawr Railway Station and then drove up a narrow winding road to Gwylfai Common in Rhosgadfan for the start of our moorland and quarry walk.  The rain from the previous night made the paths wetter and muddier than they would normally have been and it was overcast for a lot of the time but at least it was dry.  It's nice to get out and get together as we always have a lot of banter and laughs on our walks. We walked upwards through the heather and passed a farm which we recognised from a TV series of life in Snowdonia 100 years ago. Ahead of us was Mynydd Mawr or Elephant Mountain to the locals on account of it's shape but we are saving that walk for another day.  At the end of the forest we turned west and walked along the faint track in the direction of the slate heaps. The ground was boggy and one particular spot was like a sponge but at least it gave Pete a chance to practise his Gangnam style dance moves!   The Nantle Ridge was on our left and ahead of us in the distance was the outline of "the Rivals" but it was overcast and not conducive  to any good photos.  Anglesey on the other side was bathed in sunshine and we had great views over the whole of the island.   The main quarry came into view but before we explored that area we stopped in an old derilict building and had our refreshments while sheltering from the wind.  We then carried on to the quarry and then went inside the big pit to have a look around, this one near Rhosgadfan was a film set for the Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life.   Looking around this site and it's remoteness makes you understand how hard life must have been for the workers in those days!
We then headed steeply downhill to the village of Rhosgadfan passing a ruined building on the way. We were in the centre of the village and heading downhill when a concerned Keith thought that Caernarfon Castle was getting a bit too close!   Our two guides for the day Pete and Geraint then studied the map more carefully     $booboo$  so we changed direction and after about a walk of mile we retraced our steps to the car park.   It was a walk that none of us had done before so it was a nice change to do something different.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #919 on: November 18, 2012, 11:53:15 am »
Rhosgadfan walk

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #920 on: November 18, 2012, 02:21:21 pm »
             That's an interesting walk, Hugo. I don't know a lot about that area except what I have seen travelling on the W.H.Railway and also cycling on the Lon Eifion Caernarfon-Bryncir cycle track but I did the Nantlle ridge a good few years ago. I recognised the farm from the TV series shown on one of your photos and can see Llanddwyn Island in the background on others.I have attempted to follow your walk (as you described it) from Rhosgadfan on Google maps from and I presume it was a circular route. It looks a good one for the shorter winter days (if it hasn't been raining too hard previously!) so could you tell me how long it took in total please?   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #921 on: November 18, 2012, 04:44:48 pm »
It was the first time that we had walked in that area and Pete had found it in one of his walking books (can't remember the author) and it was a circular walk, starting and finishing in this small parking space that has panoramic views of the area. The paths are poor and not well defined and there were no waymarkers to guide us so for our first time there we were quite careful and took our time walking with many stops on route.
I would estimate our time at just over 3 hours and the distance about 5 miles but I'll check on this again. 
I hope that you have " the card"  for your journey on the W. H. Railway or otherwise it'll cost you an arm and a leg to go on the train. I did a walk once from Bangor to Porthmadog and walked along that Caernarfon- Bryncir track.  It was a lot better than walking on the main road.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #922 on: November 18, 2012, 05:36:21 pm »
             Thanks very much for that info Hugo. I have  the W.H.R card  ("y cerdyn"),already, it saved me £18 on the trip from Caernarfon through to Blaenau Ffestiniog recently (£9 instead of £27!)

Offline Tellytubby

« Reply #923 on: November 18, 2012, 07:04:24 pm »
Gwynant - the walk Hugo and our friends did on Saturday was called The Kate Roberts Walk and is 6.5miles in distance. The walk was taken from a book From Mountain Tops to Valley Floors by Dave Salter and Dave Worral.

I can't say too much of Hugo's map reading but we do have a good laugh and excellent walks. $cool$

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #924 on: November 18, 2012, 10:42:22 pm »
             $thanx$ Thanks for your reply and info. on the book title Tellytubby. $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #925 on: November 22, 2012, 09:19:36 am »
On Tuesday the Retirement group had a pleasant little walk in the Graig area of Glan Conwy.  We all got off the bus at Fforddlas for the start of the walk and crossed the road to walk along the banks of the fast flowing river. Through the thick undergrowth we could see the old mill Pentre Felin and the mill lake.  The Mill had traded as a Tea Room and tourist attraction but sadly closed some years ago and now looks a bit neglected.
We left the lane by a farm and followed the footpath through a wooded area until we came to a steep field and walked diagonally down it towards the Conwy river.  The views were superb as we looked over to the Pydew and Llandudno Junction area and the Afon Conwy was in full flow.  At the end of the field we had a look at a Cromlech on the edge of the field.  This burial chamber at Hendre Waelod was erected C3500 BC  and the large capstone has slipped on its northern side. 
We then crossed over to another field and headed downhill to the farm gate followed closely by a herd of curious Bullocks.  Although it was a fine day on Tuesday there had been torrential rain on Monday night and this together with the fact that the Bullocks must have been near the gate led to some very muddy conditions indeed.  Once past the gate though we were on a country lane and we followed this lane back to near where we started from.  Carefully crossing a busy road we followed another lane uphill past the Baptist Church and made our way to Talgoed where we enjoyed a welcoming coffee and cake.   Soon it was time to get our OAP bus passes out and make our way back to the bus stop and to home.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #926 on: November 22, 2012, 03:51:40 pm »
I was wondering if it was your group waiting at Glan Conwy corner on Tuesday as I passed on my way to work. I've never seen that many people waiting at that stop before.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #927 on: November 22, 2012, 05:04:54 pm »
We must have looked like a group from Last of the Summer Wine standing there!  ;D
We caught a bus from there just after 1.00 pm and then  caught the bus back at about 4.20pm and we had a good turnout of 15 people to do the walk. 
I'm not allowed to set the walks in case they are too long or hard but it's always nice to have an easy walk for a change and then I can save the other walks for weekends,

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #928 on: November 24, 2012, 07:55:59 pm »
That sounds a pleasant walk, Hugo.  It's interesting to hear about the cromlech, I didn't know about that one.  That capstone must have taken some lifting!  :o

Offline Hugo

« Reply #929 on: November 24, 2012, 11:31:48 pm »
It was a big capstone alright but not as big as the one at Din Lligwy in Moelfre, that one weighs an estimated 25 tons!