Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821559 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #885 on: October 23, 2012, 04:01:52 pm »
If you go back to pg 3 on the walks you'll see some of the photos from the Llangollen History Trail.  We found the route on the Rural Walks in Denbighshire ( 1st one) booklet and slightly modified it so we could walk to the top of the Velvet Hill.
I hope you enjoy it if you decide to do it one day Gwynant.

Offline hollins

« Reply #886 on: October 24, 2012, 08:48:27 am »
Nemesis and Hugo, yes the chips are really delicious in Switzerland, up there with the Belgian frites. Crispy on the outside and soft inside and a bit salty. They seem to be standard spec wherever you go over there.
I didn't eat them all myself! They were shared with husband and even then we didn't manage them all, honest!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #887 on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:21 am »
Hollins--really enjoy your pics, as for the chips, this last week we had an old friend down from Yorkshire, thus, rarely for us, we had 2 meals out. The first place came recommended by various people-- I wasn't impressed and was sure that both my chips and our friend's veg had been re-heated. The main part of my meal was fine, but it is somewhat off putting.Later during the week we went to another local eatery, much more modest and the fish and chips which I had were excellent. I don't often ever get to eat fish and chips as my OH won't eat them since he once had food poisoning, so they are a treat and only when we go out.
Back to walking ! Have you been to the Picos de Europa in Northern Spain? We used to take the car across to Santander and the scenery heading along and down from the coast to Gijon and Potes is very similar to Switzerland.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #888 on: October 24, 2012, 11:14:01 am »
Thanks Nemesis. No we haven't been there but funnily enough when the weather was so bad in September we did find some cheap flights to Bilbao and thought about it but we never got round to going.
We'll move it up the list following your recommendation. It does look gorgeous from the pictures I have seen of it.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #889 on: October 24, 2012, 02:15:16 pm »
This was over 20 years ago, but we used to sail Plymouth to Santander with Brittany Ferries, some of the packages we went on were pre-booked, others weren't, but the scenery, both along the Costa Verde and down into the Picos was stunning. I do believe the roads have been improved since then, as the main road through the Asturias was single track and you had to veer into a dirt track lane if a covoy of HGVs came along. Also in those days no-one spoke English, so if you didn't speak Spanish you were somewhat stuck !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #890 on: October 28, 2012, 10:41:19 am »
What a difference in 7 days!   Last week I was wearing a T-shirt to walk along the Llangollen Canal but yesterday when I walked up Moel Famau I wore the full Winter walking gear.    We started the walk up to Moel Famau and the Jubilee Tower from the forest car park and followed the steepest path uphill stopping just for breathers and sometimes to admire the Autumn tints in the trees.  In the sheltered parts the ground was frozen as were the pools and puddles we came across but the walking wasn't difficult as the footpath was dry. Soon we could see the steep path leading to the summit but the Jubilee Tower wasn't visible from this pathway.  With all our Winter gear on we were building up quite a sweat but couldn't take some off as it was still too cold to do so.    When we reached the Jubilee Tower we went to the top of the Tower and had commanding views of the surrounding moorland and hills.  Patterns that appear in the heather are done for a variety of reasons including experiments to encourage Black Grouse breeding. 
From the Tower we were looking down onto our next destination which was the Iron Age hill fort of Moel Y Gaer but before we ventured down we took shelter from the wind and had some food and drink.  Our Winter gear certainly came in handy because there was a bitterly cold north east wind blowing in our direction!
Afterwards we went down through the heather and came to the Iron Age hill fort. Neither of us had been there before but we were very impressed with the fort and it's location.  Its steep rampants were still clearly visible and the views of the Vale of Clwyd were stunning.  We stopped for more refreshments there and explored the fort some more before leaving it on its steep southern side. A descent through 5 foot high heather and thistles that I wouldn't recommend to anyone else.  However when we got to the bottom of the fort and on to the proper path what greeted us for the rest of our journey was a twitchers delight.   We saw a Buzzard and Kestrel and other birds but all of a sudden from a large tree came hundreds of Fieldfare that had come here to Winter on the berries of the Rowan, Holly and Hawthorn hedges that litter this area,   The path began particularly muddy as we passed a field of Guernsey cows but then became a lovely grass track as we headed uphill to Bwlch  Penbarass.  Ahead of us was another large tree that was full of Fieldfare and as we slowly moved forward to take some photos they all took off suddenly. At first we thought we had disturbed them but we saw the reason why the had moved so quickly.  A Sparrowhawk had dived at the tree and was flying after the flock of Fieldfares!    We carried on up this track stopping to look at the Goldfinches and other birds on the way and soon reached Bwlch Penbarras.  It was downhill then to the Forest car park and after coffee and cake in Ruthin we headed home.  It was a lovely 5 mile walk that was enjoyable for so many reasons.   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #891 on: October 28, 2012, 10:45:25 am »
Moel Famau

Offline Hugo

« Reply #892 on: October 28, 2012, 03:07:03 pm »
Sorry but I tried to post something on here but the file was too large.    :-[

Offline Jack

« Reply #893 on: October 28, 2012, 03:25:59 pm »
Great photos Hugo on what looks like a lovely walk, it is somewhere else I have never walked.  Where did you park and start off from?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #894 on: October 28, 2012, 04:33:00 pm »
           Hugo, I went up Moel Famau earlier this year following a route from the old Daily Post "Weekend Walk" features that they used to publish on a Saturday a few years ago. We left the car by the Dwr Cymru shed in the bottom of the valley just south of Cilcain and walked westwards along the track past the reservoir/fishing lakes and up onto the ridge overlooking Ruthin. We then turned left (S/E) and followed the path up to the Jubilee Tower, where there were fantastic views over the Wirral and right down as far as the Rhinogs. Leaving the tower we started back down directly towards Cilcain (N) and when we came to the end of the Forestry turned sharp right (E) and followed the track down to the lane which runs between Cilcain and Loggerheads. We went straight across the lane over a stile and over the river and up to the dry leete bed where we turned left (W) onto the path which runs along the valley above the river  past the caves and quarries till we reached the Mold/Cilcain road. Turn left onto the road, go across the bridge, and at the end of the railings halfway up the hill take the signposted footpath through the woods back up to the lane, turn right and follow the lane back to the start point. It's a great walk on a good day and takes about 3-4 hours with a stop for eats.
     Some of the routes which appeared in the "Weekend Walks" series a few years ago were very good, (if you didn't go on the following day as there would be lots of energetic Daliy Post readers everywhere!), but I have mislaid most of them or borrowed them to someone and I can't find them on the Daily Post Website anymore.

Offline hollins

« Reply #895 on: October 28, 2012, 05:55:06 pm »
Love the autumn colours in your photos Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #896 on: October 29, 2012, 10:19:18 am »
Jack,  I didn't start walking on the Clwydian hills until recent years and I'm sorry that I didn't do them sooner.  The walk we did started from the Forest car park ( about a mile below the one at Bwlch Penbarras)  and followed the well signposted path up to Moel Famau.  We started there because the walk is more strenuous and therefore quieter than the well known Offa's Dyke Path from Bwlch Penbarras.
My fascination with the area apart from the Offa's Dyke Path which goes along the top of the ridge and therefore gives you superb views are the numerous hill forts there.   On Saturday we saw Moel Y Gaer for the first time but previously we have visited Moel Fenlli and Moel Arthur and both those are worth a visit.   If you do go up there don't forget that the wind at the top can be very bitter!

Gwynant,  That sounds a lovely walk and I'm glad that you enjoyed it.  I can picture where you have been because some walks I have done up there have crossed that walk that you did.  Moel Famau is only 1818 feet high but the views as you say are quite breath taking from there. The Daily Post does have some good walks and it's always worth a look in their website for any new walks to do.    I also enjoyed a drink in the pubs at Cilcain and Llanferres when I've been walking in that area.   Z**

Thanks Hollins but those Autumn tints would have looked a lot nicer if I had had your large bowl of chips to warm me up!     $dins$

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #897 on: October 30, 2012, 03:51:50 pm »
Approximately 4 miles.
Easy terrain
Map: Explorer OL (Snowdon and Conwy Valley) Neither use nor ornament to me I'm afraid (sorry Dad)
More photos of the walk here.. http://my.opera.com/pendragonnw/albums/

I have been meaning to go on this walk for the last three weeks but due to work and mostly weather I have had to wait until today.  The Betws Bridges walk was featured in the Daily Post not so long ago and I can honestly say it's absolutely worth doing, you won't be disappointed I promise.
Jj and I set off for the 1:30pm bus from Conwy.  It took approximately 50 mins to get there.  The weather was fine although it was threatening rain and it was a tad cold.

The walk starts outside the Information centre which is just around the corner from where you get off the bus.  Your turn right and through a gate which says private road.   Pic 1

From here you walk along a really muddy path and I mean muddy but the views of the Llygwy river more than make up for it.  This really is a beautiful place all you can hear is the river rushing along and the birds singing.  As I walked along I took photos of the river and the old moss covered walls.
Taking photos with Jj on a leash is much like doing the egg and spoon race with a ferret tied to your leg.  Most ended up blurry as she yanked away and stopped to sniff absolutely everything and so the walk was taking a lot longer that I had anticipated.
You now approach the railway bridge (pic 2) and the path takes you around the golf course on your right.  Not far along is where the Llygwy meets the Conwy river.  You can see the trees which line the river bank are all bent over giving you some idea of the rivers ferocity when swelled by rain.  Apparently the average rainfall collected in the Llygwy is the highest recorded in England and Wales.

Follow the path round to your right, you are now walking along side the Conwy river, through a gate and along the edge of the golf course.  A little further along this path you will see large stepping stones,  This is the oldest crossing on the Conwy river and was used until a woman drowned in 1912. (pic 3)
On the other side of the golf course is a gate which takes you passed the golf club.  When you get to the road turn left and you come to St Michaels church built in the 14th century.  Leaning practicaly right around thre church are a number of large slate and stone head stones, some of which date back to the 1700s.

As you come out of the main entrance to St Michaels turn to your left.  Here you will see the Sappers suspension  bridge.  This bridge spans the Conwy river and it was built by the army in the 1930s as a means to get to the army camp on the opposite side.  There was originally a wooden bridge here but it got washed away in storms. (pic 4)

Cross Sappers bridge and walk up through the field and follow the track up to the main road, turn to your right and follow the main road down to Waterloo bridge.
This cast iron bridge is one of only seven of its kind and was built in 1815  another one of Thomas Telfords engineering feats.  Thistles, shamrocks, leeks and roses adorn the arch of the bridge.  The steel inscription over the arch reads "This arch was constructed in the same year the battle of Waterloo was fought" although the bridge was finally completed just after 1815.

Cross the bridge and follow the main road round and back into the village.  Walk to the other end of the village and you will arrive at the stone built Pont Y Pair (bridge of the Cauldron).  When you look over the edge and see the swirling waters you can see how it got its name.

There is another Minors bridge about a mile away if you follow the path along the river but by the time we reached here the light was fading and I didn't want to chance it.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #898 on: October 30, 2012, 03:56:12 pm »
Some more photos from Betws.
I love the walk you did in Llangollen Hugo I haven't been there for years.  Another mission added to my list  ;D

Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

« Reply #899 on: October 30, 2012, 04:51:48 pm »
That's a nice walk Pendragon and I've done it once before with a Retirement Group but not in the Autumn with all those lovely Autumn tints. Those photos are great and I loved the mirror images you have captured by the river, it makes you realise how lucky we are to live in this area.
I've received an e-mail from Spain also called "mirror images" and it has a lot of nice photos like yours but unfortunately it is too large to post on here. It's a shame really as it is well worth seeing.