Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821176 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #855 on: September 15, 2012, 02:04:46 pm »
Yesterday we went to Moelfre in Anglesey for a walk around this lovely village and coastline. We parked the car and took the narrow path alongside the stream to the sea front and made our way up the hill and along the coastal path. Before long we arrived at the Lifeboat station and had a good look around inside. Those medals that the crew have received over the years were impressive and a testament to those brave men that manned those boats in all types of weather.   Further along were a terrace of single storey cottages that must have at one time been the fishermen's cottages and what a location for them!
We came to the Hindlea Memorial and then to the bay where the ship was sunk and the remains are visible at low water.  A little further on was the memorial to the Royal Charter that sunk nearby with the loss of over 400 lives. 
This area had so many shipwrecks over the years that a refuge was build on a small island  called Ynys Dulas,   Upon the island is a cylindrical structure with a cone shaped top, built in 1924 by Lady Dorina Neave of Llys Dulas Manor to store food and provide shelter for shipwrecked seamen.
At Lligwy Bay we stopped and had something to eat and drink and then made our way to the Iron Age village of Din Lligwy and as we entered the field leading to the village we stopped and had a look in an old derelict Chapel that stands in a prominent position there. The village is impressive and well worth the visit but it was soon time to move on to the Cromlech at Din Lligwy.  It's very impressive with a capstone weighing an estimated 25 tons.  After taking some photos and going inside the tomb we headed back to Moelfre and enjoyed a nice drink in the cafe next to the stream.  A nice easy walk of just under 5 miles but very enjoyable

Offline Hugo

« Reply #856 on: September 15, 2012, 02:07:52 pm »
Moelfre walk

Offline hollins

« Reply #857 on: September 15, 2012, 02:25:17 pm »
That was really interesting Hugo, thanks!
Now I know what was lying just around the corner from our walk.
I am sorry now that we were rushing for the bus but hopefully there will be another time.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #858 on: September 23, 2012, 03:27:28 pm »
The weather forecast was good for yesterday so three of us met in a lay-by opposite Llyn Ogwen and started our walk from there to go to Glyder Fawr (3279 ft)  and Glyder Fach (3262 ft)  via the Cribbin Ridge.   The weather was perfect for the walk as it was dry and sunny with no wind and excellent visibility.  We made our start up the steep grassy slope and crossed the marshy ground until we came to the well built stone path that would take us up to Llyn Bochlwyd.  From there you take the path that leads you on to the Cribbin.  The Cribbin ridge has a well defined path that takes you on to a ridge that overlooks everywhere in the Ogwen Valley. 
This walk although short in distance is quite steep and demanding but we took our time and had frequent stops to drink and admire the surrounding area and very soon we were rewarded with spectacular views.  Visibility yesterday was so clear that not only could we see as far down as Cadair Idris to the South but also to the North the Cumbrian Hills were clearly visible and possibly the Scottish lowlands.
The path is easy and safe in good weather but near the top at Glyder Fawr you have a boulder and rock scramble and yesterday some of the rocks were frozen so we had to be careful when picking our route up to the top.  Anyway we all arrived at the top safe and sound and made our way across the rock strewn plateau to the highest part of Glyder Fawr where we stopped and had our refreshments.
Soon it was time to cross over to Glyder Fach and as we made our way back across the rocky landscape we saw three paragliders  flying over by Pen Y Gwryd and making full use of the therms.   
At Glyder Fach we passed Castell Y Gwynt (Castle of the Wind) and followed the path to the cantilever where we stopped for our touristy type photos. Although I've passed here many times before I've never bothered to go on the rock but as this was the first time my friends had been up this mountain I thought that I would stand on there too.  There were loads of people there and people were queuing up to have their obligatory photo taken on the cantilever rock.
After the photos we set off down avoiding Bristly Ridge but taking a path down the scree slope. Erosion has taken it's toll on this area and to be honest it is now not the safest of routes. The scree was slipping and rocks would be dislodged and as I was in the lead I was always wary of any rocks coming my way!    Safe at the bottom of the scree we then made our way down the steep slope but well kept path to our cars by the Lake.   It was quite a strenuous walk of about five miles and we arrived safe and sound apart from Wayne who slipped on his back about 12 feet from the car park. Thankfully it was only his pride that was hurt.  To end the walk we drove to the Pinnacles Cafe where we had hot chocolates and cakes and then it was time to go home after enjoying a superb walk.   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #859 on: September 23, 2012, 03:31:49 pm »
Glyder Fawr and Glyder Fach walk

Offline hollins

« Reply #860 on: September 23, 2012, 03:39:13 pm »
Fabulous photos Hugo, love the last one!

Offline Tellytubby

« Reply #861 on: September 23, 2012, 05:27:08 pm »

Glyder Fawr and Glyder Fach walk
D) Well done Hugo you did us proud with the walks in Ogwen valley.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #862 on: September 23, 2012, 06:23:45 pm »
Thanks Tellytubby, glad that you enjoyed it.  The conditions were perfect, let's hope that they are good when we go over to the Carneddau! 

Offline Gaylord Screwsby

« Reply #863 on: September 30, 2012, 09:15:21 pm »
Brilliant photos Hugo. I went up Snowdon via the Pyg track about a month ago and the views/weather were fantastic. Having seen your pictures this has gone to the top of my to do list.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #864 on: October 01, 2012, 06:15:34 pm »
Thanks Gaylord Screwsby, the Cribben Ridge is a lovely ridge walk with great views.  Save it for a clear dry day when it is at its best and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
The Pyg track and the Watkin Path are my favourite paths up Snowdon and in July I caught the bus to Pen Y Pass and walked up the Pyg track to the summit and then came down via the Llanberis Path. We were lucky and had good weather on our walk too.
If you ever do the Llanberis Path stop at Pen Ceunant, Steffan's cafe at the bottom of the path as its well worth it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #865 on: October 07, 2012, 01:23:35 pm »
Yesterday we went to Llanfairfechan to do the Llanfairfechan Upland walk starting from the Nant Y Coed Nature Reserve.  It's a walk neither of us had done before so we were looking forward to it after reading about it previously.  We followed the well surfaced path through the woodland with the tumbling river on our right and soon came to the old Fish pond and it was lovely seeing the Oak trees mirrored in the still waters of the pond.  Rising steeply above the pond on the scree were these Oak trees that covered the lower part of the imposing hill fort.  Carrying on we crossed the river on stepping stones and walked alongside it before crossing it again on more stepping stones.  The track then became fairly steep as we walked uphill along the dry stone walling and the fields are littered with large glacial boulders and the area is peppered with prehistoric sites.  We were heading for the Roman Road so we crossed over the marshy moorland and made our way via the waymarkers to the road. Once at the Roman Road we stopped and had some food and drink and continued on our way in the direction of Aber.  The actual Roman Road is just south of the present track and is still visible in places but we carried on Passing the sign post for Llanfairfechan as I was looking for something further on.  At the next valley we descended across the moorland and after crossing it we decided to stop and have some more refreshments and as we were doing so we saw a russet coloured Stoat running to the dry stone walling.  After enjoying the food and sunshine we followed the original Roman road down to the Roman Milestone that was in a marshy field on our Left above Rhiwiau Uchaf.   This is a concrete replica of the original milestone found in the field.  The original stone was from Minera near Wrexham and was dressed and professionally inscribed at Chester and was then shipped direct to Kanovium (Caerhun)   It was then carried over Bwlch Y Ddeufan to be placed in position 8 Roman miles from Kanovium.   It was built in the reign of Hadrian and is dated AD 120-121 .    It seems that when an Emperor was replaced they removed the milestone and threw it away in the bog and replaced it with one by the latest Emperor. Another milestone to the Emperor Septimus Severus was also found in this field.   We then had a long walk back to the car park and made our way home.   One thing that struck us on our walk was that although we had walked past hundreds of Oak Trees there was a marked absence of Acorns and that may be due to this extreme weather we have had this year.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #866 on: October 07, 2012, 01:26:01 pm »
Llanfairfechan Upland walk

Offline Jack

« Reply #867 on: October 07, 2012, 09:47:18 pm »
That is a great walk Hugo, I did't know about it until I picked up a Conwy Council Countryside Leaflet detailing it last year, and have done it twice since.
Beautiful day again today so I went and parked near to Llyn Eigiau at first light and walked through Cwm Eigiau onto Foel Grach and then back via Melynllyn and Dulyn reservoirs back to the car at Llyn Eigiau.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #868 on: October 08, 2012, 10:16:29 am »
          Hugo, we were walking across from Rowen to Llanfairfechan recently and while walking down from the rocky outcrop (Garreg Fawr?) above Llanfairfechan towards Terrace Walk we came across a dead mole in the middle of the path by a stone wall. There were no discernible injuries to it and then we noticed a stoat running back and forth across the path a few metres ahead as if to entice us away from his lunch! So there must be a few in that area.
           I enjoy reading the reports of your walks as I used to do a lot "on the hill" when I was younger and before age (and arthritis!) came calling and I can identify with your routes and photos. We passed the tree growing out of the rock recently on our way up to Bwlch Tryfan but it was too windy to summit (gone are the days of the East Ridge and Bristly Ridge!) so we went down and round Cwm Idwal instead. However I want to do Carnedd Llewellyn again this year before the days get too short.
         As Jack was up there in that area last weekend perhaps he could tell me whether the path which goes directly from the Eigiau park up on to the hill above Llyn Eigiau has been closed by the local farmer (as I have heard) as it was a great way to gain height quickly instead of having to go all the way around the hill on the Dwr Cymru track up to Melynllyn. Thanks.   $walesflag$

Offline Jack

« Reply #869 on: October 08, 2012, 01:44:31 pm »
Hi Gwynant
The path across Cefn Tal Llyn Eigiau was open yesterday, never heard of it being closed but maybe it is at lambing time? Jack