Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820665 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Walking
« Reply #840 on: September 04, 2012, 07:59:11 pm »
Yesterday I decided to revisit the Victorian mine on Conwy mountain and Jj came too.  The quickest way to get there is without doubt following a straight line uphill from Roland Youngs yard on the Morfa but its also the most tiring as its basically a vertical climb and at this time of year you'll be fighting your way through the dense ferns.  I thought I'd give you the directions over the mountain instead as it's not so much of a hike and it's a lot more picturesque.

Jj usually wears a cat harness (I got her the smallest dog harness but she just walks out of it as it's way too big) I decided today to use a collar and lead.   Jj is really friendly bless her and likes to greet everyone we encounter and so when the town is busy it's just easier and a lot quicker to carry her.
I put her down on Bangor road, she was reluctant to walk, I thought she was tired so I picked her up again and carried on a little further towards the Iron railway bridge near the Morfa.  This is no good I thought I don't want her to think she's a Paris Hilton dog, I got Jj to come walking not sit in a handbag with a dress on so I put her down again.  As I tugged on the lead for her to walk she began bucking like a rabbit and yelping, she was adamant that she wasn't walking with the collar.  Can you believe that stubborn little tyke, she'd have to be on a lead up the mountain and so I had to walk all the way back to the house to get her piggin' cat harness. :o

Right harness on we tried again and this time she was quite happy.  We reached the Iron bridge and followed the path up past Beechwood Court the Christian retreat? whatever that means, I can't help but be suspicious of the place  ???  Following the road up we came to a style and then crossed over onto the mountain path.  The views from this path over towards Conwy are magnificent I do love living here. (Pic 1) and (pic 2)

We reached the cross roads at the top (pic 3) The large rock you see in front of you is where people practice rock climbing.......bit out of my league though I'd break my neck.  We took the path round to the right.  As soon as Jj and I reached the path no more than 20 steps ahead you can see a sheep path leading down and round to the right (you can see it in pic 4) it's important you don't miss this path as otherwise you go too high and you'll have to navigate back down quite a way to reach the Mine.  Just follow the trail for roughly 15 minutes and you can't miss the mine.  We passed a large standing stone facing out to sea and a clever sheep that found it easier to eat the grass on his knees? Not seen that before.  It was by this marker stone we ate our chicken and bacon sandwiches and had a drink.  In pic 5 you can see the dog water bottle I bought for Jj it's ideal for her.

Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #841 on: September 04, 2012, 08:24:21 pm »
We carried on walking the sheep path.  It's not long before you can see the raised flat landscaping of the slag heap and the characteristic V shape of the mine entrance (pic 1 & 2) although it's not that easy to see this time of year due to the overgrown ferns and thick grass.  Walk up through the middle of the undergrowth and you will see the entrance (pic 3)  I noticed that on this visit the Mine entrance is completely open, all my Dads sticks have been removed making it quite dangerous I thought especially when you have an incredibly nosy puppy hot on your heels.  If she'd have fallen into the Mine you can forget about Angie to the rescue as I would rather enter a cave full of dragons than risk the spiders that might live down there  :o  I might just get on to the Council actually. (regarding the hole not the spiders of course)  ;D

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #842 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:12 pm »
Time was getting on now and so Jj and I made our way back the way we came to the beginning of the narrow sheep track.  Now instead of re tracing your steps back down the mountain path follow the well marked path through the heather and over the top of the hill (pic 1) The area on the other side of this hill is really interesting too you can see if you look large round pits in the ground, could have been round houses or maybe signs of more mining as there are various spoil heaps dotted around.  Carry on straight ahead and follow the path that runs down to the right adjacent with an old stone wall which is protecting private land.  I'd love to sneak a peek over that wall but it's got 2 barbed wire fences surrounding it too and I would only get empailed no doubt and end up phoning for Prince William and his chopper to rescue me  :roll: (might not be such a bad idea  ;D ) This path is just lovely with  flowers and plants, huge trees and butterflies dotting the way (pic 2)  When you reach the end of the wall there's a gate with a sign that Keep Out (pic 3) Follow the next wall down to you right once more.  At the bottom of this path you'll see another style.  Once over the style you follow the path round the side of a house and your back on the road towards the Iron bridge (pic 4)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #843 on: September 06, 2012, 08:48:58 pm »
Inspired by our recent cliff top walks on Guernsey we decided to walk a section of the Anglesey coast path today.
Armed with our new book by Carl Rogers (thanks Jack for the recommendation) we set off from the beach below Pentraeth. We were a bit worried about where to leave the car as it looked as though the tide comes right in to the car park.
We set off walking along the tidal road alongside some very marshy ground. We passed the rather unusual wall in photo 2.
We were passing the Ship Inn at 12 noon but I was not allowed in even for a quick sherry by my taskmaster.
Soon we were in Benllech.
I had more luck this time with a rest stop. We had a very good lunch at the Bay Cafe there. What a wonderful view they have from their terrace. It was such a beautiful clear day, quite breezy but we braved sitting outside.

Offline hollins

« Reply #844 on: September 06, 2012, 08:53:48 pm »
From there the walk went over the cliff tops through narrow hedges and we could see a lot of fisherman down below on the wave cut rocks.
All along we saw loads of crocosmia growing wild so it isn't just Guernsey and Portpatrick that it favours.
We were amazed how many caravans and (I'm not sure what to call them) shed like homes that were in the most spectacular positions along the coast.
Most of them looked very swish and well kept. Lucky them having views like that.
I took the photo of the cow and her calf because it was an unusual colour and also because you can see the Great Orme behind them.
Soon we were approaching Moelfre which looked a very pleasant place. I took a photo of the statue at the lifeboat station there thinking it would make a good quiz question but Hugo got it very quickly!
We didn't have long in Moelfre because we were catching the number 62 bus back to Pentraeth and then a mile walk down the lane to our car which thankfully had not submerged.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #845 on: September 06, 2012, 09:03:09 pm »
Great walk and photos, Hugo. I really must spend more time on Anglesey.

Offline Jack

« Reply #846 on: September 06, 2012, 10:06:59 pm »
That looks a great walk Hollins, this Anglesey Coastal Path really is a little gem - haven't done that section yet but you have whetted my appetite!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #847 on: September 06, 2012, 10:30:03 pm »
Great walk and photos, Hugo. I really must spend more time on Anglesey.

Those are Hollins' photos Dave and they are great it's a lovely walk providing the tide is not in. The best bit of the island is still ahead and quite spectacular.   That meal looks delicious and I noticed two wine glasses on the table, one of which was nearly empty but I'm too much of a gentleman to ask who likes their tipple!      Z**

Offline hollins

« Reply #848 on: September 07, 2012, 05:06:02 pm »
Hollins is not guilty.....she sips her wine like a good girl!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #849 on: September 08, 2012, 12:16:15 am »
Oh yes, my apologies to Hollins!

Offline Nearly Retired

« Reply #850 on: September 08, 2012, 08:46:41 am »
Beautiful photos, and lovely looking walk. I bet there's no ladder stiles either !!!

Offline hollins

« Reply #851 on: September 08, 2012, 09:42:21 am »
No, just a few kissing gates!

Offline hollins

« Reply #852 on: September 11, 2012, 08:26:53 pm »
I had a lovely walk today from Saundersfoot to Tenby.
Here are a few photos showing my progress getting closer to the lovely Tenby.
Dave R, are you impressed with my clouds?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #853 on: September 11, 2012, 09:30:37 pm »
I'm glad that you enjoyed the walk in that beautiful area and hope that the weather stays nice for your stay there.  Here's a photo taken from our hotel room on the North Bay and it's very similar to your last photo   $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #854 on: September 14, 2012, 05:18:41 pm »
I walked another section of the Pembrokeshire path the other day from Amroth which is the start of the walk to Saundersfoot.
This route used to have a tram running along it so some of the walk is along the old track and through tunnels!