Author Topic: Walking  (Read 837498 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Walking
« Reply #825 on: August 21, 2012, 08:34:33 pm »
Thanks both, it was a great walk.

Stan, yes, that chapel doesn't seem to be listed on the Dodds website any more. Sturdy building, shame to see it going to waste.

Hollins, the effect is down to a polarising filter fitted onto the lens, it makes the skies a much deeper blue and the clouds 'fluffy'.  ;)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #826 on: August 21, 2012, 08:51:03 pm »
Very good pics, don't forget your brolly next time though!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #827 on: August 22, 2012, 08:08:00 am »
Pfft, I like to travel light, ME.  8)

Offline Jack

« Reply #828 on: August 26, 2012, 04:19:02 pm »
Today I did a circular walk starting and finishing in the village of Aber (Abergwyngregyn).  Took advantage of the free parking in the car park adjacent to the A55 and walked through the village past the cafĂ© and took the public footpath on the right.  The path rises steeply and gives great views in all directions, to the mountains beyond, to Puffin Island and Anglesey, to Bangor and the Menai Straits and the Great Orme and Llandudno.  This footpath then merges with the North Wales Footpath and I followed this to the village of Tal y Bont and Penrhyn Castle.  The footpath then continues along the route of the old narrow railway that ran from the Penrhyn quarries to Porth Penrhyn near Bangor that carried slate to the docks.  It is a beautiful section of the walk through lush woodland and a lovely river that apparently has kingfishers on.  I lunched at the docks looking at the very, very expensive boats that Dickies are selling.  To get back to Aber I followed the Wales Coastal Footpath.  The first section back to Penrhyn Castle was the same way as I came, but in Tal y Bont you take a sharp left just after the railway and follow the footpath to a pretty little church with its immaculate shaped yew bushes.  You then have to follow unclassified roads down to the bird reserve at Aber Ogwen and along the coast to Aber.   Really good walk, took me 5 hours, and as an aside there were no ladder stiles on the route at all just gates!!

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #829 on: August 26, 2012, 05:11:56 pm »
That sounds a wonderful walk Jack.
I have also learnt something as I have never seen a slate fence before.
The yew trees are wonderful as well.

Offline Jack

« Reply #830 on: August 26, 2012, 05:31:17 pm »
Thanks Hollins!  Slate fences were relatively common in the hills round here at one time but as they have broken down they have been replaced with post, sheep netting and barbed wired.  I guess slate was used as there was so much of it around and so it was cheap!  $walesflag$

Offline Nearly Retired

« Reply #831 on: August 27, 2012, 08:38:09 am »
That looks a lovely walk Jack, and no ladder stiles too !! Will add that to my list.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #832 on: August 27, 2012, 04:40:35 pm »
Me too and I hope to get to see those Kingfishers when I go.

Offline hollins

« Reply #833 on: August 29, 2012, 12:28:37 pm »
We have just spent a nice few days walking the cliff path on the southern coast of Guernsey.
The first two photos are me trying to get fluffy cloud photos like DaveR but cheating and taking them from above!
The second one is looking down to Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight.
The third one is on the way back looking down on to St Peter Port.
The cliff path is very well signed all the way with carved stone signs. The signing on the path is much better than the roads where there are few signs.
The path is very varied with open sections with observation towers left over from the war and other parts are wooded and sheltered with lots of ups and downs.
The last photo is of the latest sports craze of coasteering. That is definitely not me on the photo.
The path is very well maintained and has plenty of beach cafes and toilets along the way.
We had a delicious last supper (lunch) yesterday of crab sandwiches and scones at a beach cafe at Portelet harbour.

Offline hollins

« Reply #834 on: August 29, 2012, 12:29:55 pm »
Coasteering!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #835 on: September 01, 2012, 06:37:19 pm »
I was back in the Ogwen Valley today with a couple of friends and we decided to walk up Tryfan. My friends had not been up there before so I thought that I'd take then up the easiest way if there is such a thing as an easy route up Tryfan.  We parked up in a lay-by on the A5 and crossed the stile and marshy ground until we reached the well defined stone steps leading to Bwlch Tryfan.  It's a steep pull up past the waterfall but we soon passed Llyn Bochlwyd and climbed up to the Bwlch and turned left to ascend the rocky slopes of Tryfan.  It may be the smallest mountain over 3000 feet in Wales but it's the only one that you have to use your hands for some boulder scrambling.   I took a path which often took us near the edge with it's vertical drops but we all arrived unscathed at the Summit.  It was busy up there today as the weather was fine apart from the winds so you had to make sure that you were holding on when you did the challenging bits.  The visibility was good and we were rewarded for our efforts with stunning views all around. On the summit are two large square stones referred to as Adam and Eve and some jump across from Adam to Eve but not me as one slip on Eve and you're a goner!
One foolhardy guy did though but I didn't catch him on my camera as he jumped.   We had our refreshments at the top and then carefully made our way down back to the cars on tired legs.   A quick coffee and cake at the Pinnacles and it was time to head home after planning our next walk in 2 weeks.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #836 on: September 01, 2012, 06:38:38 pm »
Tryfan Walk

Offline hollins

« Reply #837 on: September 03, 2012, 08:37:39 pm »
Really enjoyed reading about your walk Hugo.
My husband was up there today climbing a route called Grooved Arete.
He took this photo at the top!

Offline Jack

« Reply #838 on: September 03, 2012, 09:03:25 pm »
I haven't been up Tryfan for a number of years, but the last time I did go up there was a serious gale blowing on the summit and someone tried jumping between Adam and Eve, got caught by the crosswind and fell.  No serious damage to body this time - just pride dented.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #839 on: September 04, 2012, 05:46:19 pm »
Rather him than me Hollins!     I'll stick to the easier bits