Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820886 times)

Offline Jack

Re: Walking
« Reply #810 on: August 16, 2012, 09:47:39 pm »
Great photos Hugo, from one of my favourite Welsh peaks!  It always amazes me how few people go up Y Garn when so many climb the Glyders and Tryfan  $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #811 on: August 17, 2012, 11:23:39 am »
It's a great walk if you do it from the north ridge and although it's a short walk of about four and a half miles return, there is a steep ascent of 2100 feet and the views are magnificent.   Looking at it from the Llyn Ogwen area it looks just like a volcano that has erupted and one side has blown out.
From Llyn Y Cwn though it looks deceptive and doesn't look that appealing if you haven't climbed  it before.
The friend I took hadn't climbed up Y Garn before and was very impressed and we hope to do Tryfan soon which he also hasn't done  but I'll take him up the easiest route when we do Tryfan

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #812 on: August 18, 2012, 07:00:27 pm »
I was in Denbigh today, so thought I would pop into the former Mental Hospital, closed since 1995, for a look around. Denbigh Asylum was built in 1848 with room for over 1,500 patients and 1,000 staff and it closed in 1995. Since closure, it has been extensively vandalised and stripped of any valuables. Denbighshire Council have recently spent over £900,000 trying to secure the site and erect a temporary roof on the main building. As is always the way with these sort of buildings, though, a shiny new fence will be on the front and there will still be a hole in the hedge at the back.  ;)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #813 on: August 18, 2012, 07:20:22 pm »
Great photos Dave and they capture the sombre mood of the place. Many years ago when I played football, we had a match against the Hospital and had to go inside to change into our kit.   
The place was very secure but totally depressing and I was glad to get out of there.  Another time I played football against the Sychnant Pass Hospital and had to go in there to change too.  The atmosphere in there though was more relaxed because I think the patients did not have the serious mental  problems that those in Denbigh had.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #814 on: August 19, 2012, 08:36:42 am »
I recently had a token to spend and bought a small book on the history of this place. Very interesting it was too.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Nearly Retired

« Reply #815 on: August 19, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »
Am a new member, moving to Llandudno (hopefully !) next year. We love hill walking, but unfortunately not the steep bits anymore, so have found these posts very useful. We are visiting on holiday shortly and planning on walks with the two dogs. Unfortunately they too are getting on in years, and aren't able to scramble over ladder stiles anymore. They are also too big to carry !!
Most of the Caerneddau walks in my guide book mention ladder stiles, even the "foothills".
If anyone can suggest walks suitable for rickety dogs I'd be very grateful.

Offline hollins

« Reply #816 on: August 19, 2012, 09:00:28 pm »
I was in Denbigh today, so thought I would pop into the former Mental Hospital, closed since 1995, for a look around.

I was most interested in your post about Denbigh asylum, thanks DaveR.
What a place that must have been/still is.

We have been visiting friends in the Peak District this weekend.
I hope it is okay to post about an "out of area walk."
Please tell me if not.

We started off the walk at John Smedley knitwear factory and being an ex textile worker it gives me great pleasure to see such fine quality garments still being manufactured in the UK. It is still family owned. They make classic garments from fine sea island cotton and merino wool. There is a factory shop at Lea Bridge which is not far from Cromford and Matlock.
It was very warm and humid but we had a pleasant walk up through the woods to see the view over Cromford. Then past Riber Castle which was originally built by the Smedley family.
The last photo is that of a very friendly fellow we met. Pity we didn't have any carrots with us.
Shortly after this the heavens opened and I was not able to take a photo of Dethick church which is in a very scenic spot.
Then a quick rush through wet fields to a nice pub lunch in the Jug and Glass at Lea.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #817 on: August 19, 2012, 09:17:05 pm »
Gosh Hollins, that gave me a jolt!
Back in the eons of time Diana Smedley was a client of ours. That was her maiden name, she married into a family which lived in Halifax and her husband was Chairman of the Halifax Building Society, Crossleys Carpets and Barclays Bank. She was one of the nicest, most ordinary people you could wish for.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Jack

« Reply #818 on: August 19, 2012, 10:34:07 pm »
Am a new member, moving to Llandudno (hopefully !) next year. We love hill walking, but unfortunately not the steep bits anymore, so have found these posts very useful. We are visiting on holiday shortly and planning on walks with the two dogs. Unfortunately they too are getting on in years, and aren't able to scramble over ladder stiles anymore. They are also too big to carry !!
Most of the Caerneddau walks in my guide book mention ladder stiles, even the "foothills".
If anyone can suggest walks suitable for rickety dogs I'd be very grateful.

Hi Newly Retired, ladder stiles and sheep country do seem to go hand in hand.  I have noticed that some stiles have a wooden pull up slide 'contraption' at the base so that dogs can go thru the fence rather than over the stile, but as the landowner has no legal obligation to allow access for dogs (just people) on public footpaths these seem few and far between.  In the very local area both the Great and Little Orme offer great walks as does Bryn Euryn all without stiles.  Down the Conwy Valley anywhere in the Gwydyr Forest is easy walking with dogs and offer great views as does Llyn Geirionydd and Llyn Crafnant as their is little or no livestock.  Sorry can't be more specific on actual routes  ££$

Offline Nearly Retired

« Reply #819 on: August 20, 2012, 08:37:49 am »
Thank you for that Jack, that's very helpfull. Have walked on the Great Orme and realy enjoyed it, as did dogs. Will try the other places you mention. The ladder stiles with the pull up thing are great, but as you say, you can't expect landowners to provide them. It's just a bit frustrating to be half way round a circular walk and then have to turn back. Seves me right for having big dogs !!!!!

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #820 on: August 20, 2012, 09:54:51 pm »
had a walk to Aber falls today with my wife and sister-in-law. all who told me it was worth a walk up to see were not wrong. Lovely day for walking sunshine and a gentle breeze, can.t wait to take my grandchildren up there, a bit steep in places but not that bad. I was thinking Yorkie would like it, though you may have to take a rest on some of the seats that are available on the walk (not as many as there could be) look forward to going again soon. Thanks to all those who gave it the nod.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #821 on: August 21, 2012, 08:17:47 am »
Yorkie has invested in a bike!    $00$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #822 on: August 21, 2012, 07:22:44 pm »
Started off today in Conwy and headed up onto Conwy Mountain. It's a steep pull up to the top. Upon getting to the top bit, I looked over my shoulder to see a massive rain shower heading over Tal Y Fan towards me. Muttering to myself, I took shelter under a rocky outcrop, with only some large spiders for company. The rain passed over after about 10 minutes but the sun constantly going in and out of the clouds afterwards made getting decent photos tricky.

I headed off along the track that runs along Conwy Mountain. Along the way, I saw several hawks hunting for their lunch along with Swifts or Swallows swooping above the heather. Both the heather and the gorse were in full bloom. I eventually came out at the top of Sychnant Pass and headed down the road for my lunchtime stop in Dwygyfylchi, the Fairy Glen Hotel. Although it looks just like a normal country pub, it actually serves very good food in large portions. I had a half a roast duck on black cherry sauce with new potatoes and veg for £10.95. It was such a large portion that i had trouble finishing it!

I eventually decided it was time to make a move, so I headed off along Conwy Old Road and stayed on that until I arrived in Penmaenmawr. A quick detour to look at a derelict chapel and then time to catch the 5 bus back to Llandudno.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:09:01 pm by DaveR »

Offline hollins

« Reply #823 on: August 21, 2012, 07:53:00 pm »
Wonderful landscapes and in particular the clouds in those photos DaveR. Was that how the photos actually came out or have you done something in photoshop to them?
The reason I ask is that when I take clouds I am usually disappointed that they don't look as good on the photo as they did in real life.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #824 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:28 pm »
Great pictures Dave as usual, and I too like those cloud formations.

That Chapel in Pen. must have been closed for some years, and of course for sale for a similar period.