Author Topic: Walking  (Read 822293 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #795 on: August 05, 2012, 04:38:49 pm »
After last week's walk we decided to have a more relaxed walk on Thursday and headed to Rhewl in the Vale of Clwyd to do part of the Lady Bagot's Drive walk.
It's a very pleasant walk and not demanding. We set off from the Drovers Arms in Rhewl and crossed the bridge over the Afon Clywedog and passed the farm buildings on our right before following the track which goes alongside the river. The first thing we noticed was a stone lined leat which probably supplied the water for the mill.   The path was good and we had the river on our left with steep wooded slopes to our right.  It was a nice sunny day but the area is so heavily wooded that we were in dappled shade for the duration of the walk.  We took our time on this short walk which was very relaxing just listening to the water flowing by and stopping t occasional photo.  Soon we reached the road to Bontuchel but we decided to return to the car after refreshments of course and then we made our way back on the same track.
Our day hadn't finished though as we then drove over to Llanrhaeadr to visit the beautiful Church of St Dyfnog's.  The Church was so full of interesting things that if anyone is passing by they should stop and have a look around. From the Church we headed into some woodland and followed the stream to the Holy Well of St Dyfnog's.  When we were there we met a couple of women who had taken their sickly dog there so that it could go in the waters and hopefully have some miraculous cure.  The well in it's time must have been very popular with pilgrims as the bottom of it had been tiled with marble.  Returning to the Church we passed the Alms Houses , the pottery and a 16th Century pub before going back to our car and then back home.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #796 on: August 05, 2012, 04:42:56 pm »
Lady Bagot's Drive and Llanrhaeadr Church and Holy Well

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #797 on: August 09, 2012, 07:16:13 pm »
I would love to do more walking, and I certainly need the exercise, but I have difficulty with anything above a gentle (and I mean gentle) slope.  Does anyone have details of any nice interesting and level walks anywhere within 25 miles of LL30 that would give me a change from Llandudno and its environs?   I have stamina problems also and 2 to 4 miles would be about the right distance for me.  The prom is excellent for exercise but gets boring after so many trips up and down.

A handy cafe on, or after, the route would be a bonus!

$thanx$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #798 on: August 09, 2012, 08:08:22 pm »
There are a lot of pleasant short walks in that area Yorkie.    Once a month I go with a retirement group and those walks are geared for  their ability.
Aber Falls is the obvious one but Llanfairfechan Promenade to the Bird Hides is quite pleasant too.
Sometimes we go by train to Betws Y Coed and just walk along the Golf Course there.  The walk follows the banks of the two rivers Conwy and Llugwy.
One I have done is to Capel Garmon from the Fairy Glen but there is a section of the walk that goes from the Conwy Falls to the Fairy Falls and it is the old stagecoach road before Telford built the A5.   When you get to the Fairy Glen for a small fee of 50p you get to see the gorge and the two rivers Conwy and the Lledr.  You'd have to return slightly uphill unless you had two cars but there is a cafe to go to.  That walk is probably 2 miles max and I've posted some photos of that one.

Offline Jack

« Reply #799 on: August 09, 2012, 08:12:37 pm »
A pleasant flatish walk is from Tal y Cafn to the little church at Caerhun and back.  There is a parking space (SH784718) opposite the houses that were built on the old Ferry Pub site.  The public footpath is signposted and you walk along the farm track parallel with the River Conwy to Uchaf Farm, through the farmyard (where there were some lovely calves when I went earlier in the week!!) and keep following the public footpath signs through the woodland and fields to the church.  Always nice to look round the church with its great views down the estuary.    No cafe but if your brave the new Furnace Farm cafe is only a minute or two away!!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #800 on: August 09, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »
Wow this site is marvellous!   Thanks to both Hugo and Jack for their input, but more would be welcome.   I'll print your posts and then transfer them to a map, then I (and the Mrs) shouldn't get lost.   Just to look the part we'll have to invest in a couple of knapsacks!

You have brought back a few memories when you mention the Ferry.  Had many a pleasant meal there in the past.    $thanx$
Cicero

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #801 on: August 10, 2012, 12:18:35 am »
your right there Yorkie the sight is marvellous, i realised that not long after my daughter (curly cap) introduced me to it , it helps so many people  and gives so much information to the people who use it its no wonder it keeps growing in popularity , big thanks to Dave and Ian for making it possible.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #802 on: August 10, 2012, 07:14:14 am »
            Yorkie, if you are looking for easy flat walks locally Mrs.Gwynant and I often take the bus to Conwy Morfa and walk back round the Bodlondeb river footpath then along the Quay, across the Cob and back along the West Shore Cycle Path (bring a shovel for sand clearance on the sector after Deganwy!) and have a coffee in the West Shore Beach Cafe. Another one is to get the bus ( X1 or 19) or train (both free with your Bus Pass) to Llanrwst and walk across the suspension bridge over the Afon Conwy behind the Llanrwst North Railway Station, then turn immediately right onto the raised river bank footpath and follow the river round to Trefriw, where there are pubs/cafes, check out the waterfalls behind the Woolen Mill and then walk back across the road on the floor of the valley to Llanrwst to catch the bus/train back home. A very pleasant one we did recently is slightly further afield in Llangollen, where we parked the car in the (free) forestry car park behind the Chain Bridge Hotel in Berwyn (just off the A5) and then walked for approx. 1.5 miles  along the canal towpath into Llangollen  (which obviously has to be completely flat!). You can then go back the same way if you wish but we then carried on along all the way to the canal basin at Trevor where you can walk across the Froncysyllte Aqueduct. The whole walk was about 6 miles and was totally flat through some beautiful scenery and you can retrace your steps at any point if you feel you have done enough. You can catch a bus back from Trevor ( GHA Bus No.5 every 15 mins) into Llangollen and get a coffee/pint there and then catch the GHA Bus No.X94 ( approx every 2 hrs) back to the car in Berwyn. Also don't forget the North Wales Cycle/footpath from Llandulas to Abergele and beyond and also the newly resurfaced Dyserth-Prestatyn cycle/foot path. Happy walking!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #803 on: August 10, 2012, 12:22:36 pm »
I forgot about the Conwy Mountain walk.  It sounds hard but it's easy if you stop of the Sychnant Pass (where the ice cream van is) and take the track towards the sea, bear right and follow the ridge to the Iron Age Hillfort and then return in the same direction.
Wonderful views and the occasional animal for company!
Don't forget about the Great Orme too. Park up above St Tudno's Church and follow the wall around the farm. An easy walk with superb views in all directions.  You can avoid the steep pull to the summit at the very end by going to the Bishop's Quarry and over the top back to the car park.
No excuses Yorkie, there are a few to choose so I look forward to your reports of the walk.
PS  If you do the Great Orme walk that map "Secrets of the Great Orme" will be invaluable.   

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #804 on: August 10, 2012, 02:57:50 pm »
Thanks Hugo.  The Sychnant Pass walk is a non starter as my wife can't stand heights especially close to a sharp drop!   She even panics when we use that route in the car!   The rest that have been posted are all interesting and we shall start giving them a try.  Thanks again.   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #805 on: August 10, 2012, 03:24:50 pm »
I agree with Hugo about the pull up by the wall on the Orme-- I tried to do it after circumnavigating the Bishop's Quarry the other week. Thought I was  climbing Everest. Phew ! Hills aren't for me.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #806 on: August 15, 2012, 10:40:31 pm »
A visit to one of my favourite places, Beaumaris, yesterday. After having a coffee outside the Bulkeley Hotel on the Prom, we walked along the seafront and decided to keep going for a while along the clifftops in the direction of Penmon. Turned inland at the old Saunders-Roe factory and headed for Henllys Hall, as I've never seen it close up. It's owned by Holiday Property Bond now and is very well maintained. There's a golf club in the grounds, so stopped off at the clubhouse for some food/drink. Then followed the country lane that meanders through the fields and arrived back on Wexham St in Beaumaris. Weather was mostly beautiful, with clear views right across to Llandudno.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #807 on: August 16, 2012, 08:29:31 am »
Lovely pics Dave-- looks as though there are storms in the distance. Good job you didn't go yesterday-- what rain !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #808 on: August 16, 2012, 08:34:03 pm »
I met my friend in the car park in the Ogwen Valley today as we were planning to walk up Y Garn (3104 ft) via its North Ridge. It was pouring with rain so we opted for Plan B, a coffee and a look around the Pinnacles shop in Capel Curig.
After an hour the rain stopped so we drove back to the Ogwen Vally and parked near the Ogwen Falls.    The Falls were in full flood and there were waterfalls every where following yesterdays torrential rain.
The first part is an easy walk into Cwm Idwal, passing Llyn Idwal on the way and in three quarters of a mile the ascent is only 200 feet. The middle section however is a stiff climb of around 900 feet and required a few stops to catch our breath as not only is it quite strenuous but the higher we got the greater the wind speed. It's relatively safe but you can't take any chances with the sudden gusts that came along. About half way up this bit we saw a transporter plane flying in from the Capel Curig area and then banking to allow for the bend in the valley. The camera came out quickly and I was able to take some photos before it quickly flew away.
The last part was another climb over scree until we reached the top of Y Garn. There's a bit of a windbreak up there so we sheltered from the wind as best we could. I was wearing a base layer and fleece but the waterproof came on and yet I was still cold!  You wouldn't think that this was peak Summer time but next time I'll include my gloves in the rucksack.
We had a bite to eat up there but because of the driving cold wind we decided to go back down via the Devil's Kitchen.  There was a lot of serious erosion on the path down but we took our time and made our way down safely.  On the way down we met a gentleman who had his 80th birthday yesterday and he looked as fit as a fiddle much better than my friend and I.   Yesterday he celebrated his birthday by walking up Snowdon and got absolutely saturated in the process. The girl that was with him said that he had got his brother on his back so seeing my puzzled expression she said that his brother had died and been cremated and he was going to spread his ashes up there.  It was a nice emotional  and personal thing but I didn't like to mention that if they spread the ashes today they are just as likely to end up somewhere over the border.   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #809 on: August 16, 2012, 08:37:02 pm »
Y Garn walk