Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821596 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #765 on: July 08, 2012, 05:29:03 pm »
I'm glad that you thought it was a killer too as I was starting to think that age was catching  up with me!
It's so steep in parts that you have got to be very careful even walking down the track.  I was walking carefully down it on Saturday and watching my steps as the track was slippy when my friend suddenly overtook me and was running down the hill.  He had lost his balance and the momentum and steepnes of the track took him down the hill until he stopped on a corner of the track.
He was ok thank goodness but it could have been different.
I wouldn't even fancy driving a 4 x 4 vehicle down the hill because it is so bad.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #766 on: July 08, 2012, 06:19:54 pm »
Is that the concrete track that starts by the old bridge in Dolgarrog?

Offline Jack

« Reply #767 on: July 08, 2012, 08:49:36 pm »
Is that the concrete track that starts by the old bridge in Dolgarrog?

Yes, the one close to the Newborough Arms pub.  There is a small car park often full with minibuses from outdoor pursuit centres as they take their clients there to go canyoning in the streams.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #768 on: July 08, 2012, 10:42:22 pm »
I remember walking up there once to the Welsh Water Treatment Plant at the top...never again!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #769 on: July 15, 2012, 02:34:38 pm »
Because of the deluge on Friday, the walk we chose for Saturday was the Little Orme and Penrhynside walk. It's just under 5 miles in length and isn't difficult but it does have some stunning views. We started the walk from the Co-op car park in Penrhyn Bay and went along the private road to Angel Bay.  There were 3 Seals in the water and loads of Guilemots and Cormorants as well as a Peregrine Falcon flying over the quarry above us. After admiring the wildlife it was up the steep grassy incline and then we headed for the trig point on the summit.  Before we got to the summit we made a detour to see the birds on the cliffs and you could actually smell them before you could see them, the stench was that bad. At the top we had our refreshments and enjoyed the spectacular views in all directions. Then it was down to the main road and turn left to go to Penrhynside. There we walked along the narrow road until we came to the public footpath at the end of the village that would take us to Pant Y Wennol.  We went through the first gate ignoring a path immediately on your right and carried on the recognised footpath until we came to another kissing gate where our path was to the right. Now if anyone is thinking of going the same way as us my advise would be DON'T.  The path was so overgrown due to the freak weather we are having that the  nettles and brambles are right across the path and walking there was unpleasant and difficult.
We did get through the jungle that was the footpath and came to Pant Uchaf where there was a most beautiful and massive Great Dane dog in the garden. It was friendly though and we enjoyed a pleasant chat with the lady who lived there. Then down the lane to Bodafon Road, passing the school with it's lovely hanging baskets and along the road until we reached the farm lane on the left and back up there to Nant Y Gamma.  We sat at the top and the views again were superb and then we went down the footpath and through the woods, passing St David's College and then crossed a field and walked down a lane past Penrhyn Old Hall.  We completed the walk by having a nice Cappuccino and cup of tea at Home from Home Cooking and then went back to our cars where we planned our next walk.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #770 on: July 15, 2012, 02:36:56 pm »
Little Orme and Penrhynside walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #771 on: July 19, 2012, 09:26:37 am »
I had a pleasant short walk with a retirement group on Tuesday and we got off the bus by the Pendyffryn Caravan Park in Dwygyfylchi and walked towards St Gwynan's Church but turned left onto a public footpath that follows the Afon Gyrrach to Capelulo. The river was quite fast flowing because of all the rain we have had and on our way we passed some pretty quarrymen's cottages that were situated on the other side of the river.
In Capelulo we walked up the hill to the first bridge and after looking at the river we stopped at the Fairy Glen Pub for a drink. We moved on along Conwy Old Road until we came to the footpath that crossed the Golf Course and took the path until we came back to Dwygyfylchi and to the bus stop.
A short walk on a nice day but it's just good to get out.  I was due to go up Snowdon today but that walk was called off due to the rain and has been scheduled for tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Offline hollins

« Reply #772 on: July 19, 2012, 09:45:08 am »
Love the picture of the foal Hugo.
I hope you get to do your Snowdon walk tomorrow and as always look forward to your photos.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #773 on: July 19, 2012, 12:58:13 pm »
Lovely pics Hugo---- Think they were wise to call off the walk today-- I only went onto the Orme with the dog and we were both soaked and it was so misty on my ascent and decent that I had to use the headlights on the car.  July???
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #774 on: July 19, 2012, 04:00:26 pm »
I'm sure that I did the right thing then Nemesis if it was that bad on the Orme.  It's not so bad if it rains when you have started the walk but I didn't fancy getting soaked straight away.
Did you see any sign of Mike on your travels?   I was up the Orme this afternoon but it looked deserted on the Golf Course so I didn't call in.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #775 on: July 19, 2012, 04:21:57 pm »
No I didn't Hugo--- sorry. It was so misty when I drove up I couldn't see the Golf Course-- let alone Mike ! Managed as far as Cwlach Street this pm, but I have rather a strange guest in at the moment, therefore didn't want to leave the house for too long.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #776 on: July 21, 2012, 11:03:06 am »
Yesterday we did our Snowdon Walk and met in Llanberis to catch the Sherpa bus to Pen Y Pass for the start of our walk.  Our route was to go up the Pyg Track to the top of Snowdon and then walk down the Llanberis Path back to our cars.   The reason we took the bus was because the car parking at Pen Y Pass is now £10.00 per full day and also we are of the age of concessionary bus passes.
That apart, the Pyg Track has stunning views and the actual ascent to the 3560 summit of Snowdon is less because you are starting the walk at over 1000 feet.
It is a busy touristy walk but the views are worth it and each time you see something different.  One of my photos of the lake shows a young guy climbing over a stile and he looks the part for a serious walker, that is until you pass him and see that he is walking barefoot!
We passed him a number of times as you stop and start on this walk and in the end I couldn't resist it and asked him why he was doing it. was it for a bet? I asked but he said that this way gave him a better grip going up the ascent but added that it wasn't so good for going down!    You do these walks to see the beautiful views but unless you have stopped walking you are usually looking down on the ground to see where you are going.   Later in the walk I wasn't concentrating and looked up and then accidentally kicked a large rock but at least it didn't hurt with my large walking boots protecting my feet. I hope that that other guy was more careful than me.  Anyway we made a quick ascent to the summit and stopped for a while for refreshments and then headed down the long relentless path down to Llanberis.  There were hundreds of people walking up, some obviously would never make it like the little portly girl who was walking up there in a nice pair of Union Jack design wellies!
Near the bottom of the path we stopped at a wonderful cafe called Pen Ceunant that is owned by my friend Steffan.  We had a lovely coffee there and a slice of delicious Bara Brith before saying goodbye to Steffan and making our way back to the cars.  The day had been dry and we were lucky as the rain only started when we were 50 yards from our cars.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #777 on: July 21, 2012, 11:05:25 am »
Snowdon Walk

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #778 on: July 21, 2012, 11:25:24 am »
I really do envy you, Hugo!  Unfortunately I am not as agile as I was, and find even the most modest incline a problem so am unable to partake of the great outdoors as you do.  I enjoy the illustrations of your daily escapades which bring your travels to life.   With all that you write and all the photographs I think it is about time they were all collated, expanded and published!  There's a little job for the Winter evenings!  Keep 'em up!   
 $thanx$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #779 on: July 21, 2012, 11:38:18 am »
This has without doubt become my favourite thread.  I love reading about the local walks, we live in a fantastic area of Wales.   I'm counting down the days until my woofer arrives  ;D I love your photos too Hugo.  I'm limited to walking on Mondays or Tuesdays (only days off) and with the weather being what it is I haven't been anywhere.  I've got a book called Walks from Conwy and I'm plotting my first walk with the woofer, well probably more of a dog carry for the first couple of months  :laugh:
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley