Author Topic: Walking  (Read 822357 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Walking
« Reply #750 on: July 03, 2012, 02:07:56 pm »
Ace photos Jack  $good$ I haven't been there yet....but I will  ;D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #751 on: July 03, 2012, 07:25:06 pm »
That's a lovely walk to go on Jack and quite strenuous too, that spooky old building by the water's edge in Trearddur Bay is still there but I'm not sure what it is used for.
We passed it when we went to South Stack recently and it hasn't improved in the 40 years since I first saw it.

Offline Jack

« Reply #752 on: July 03, 2012, 08:03:08 pm »
Not sure if this is the house your referring to Hugo?

Craig y Mor, Trearddur Bay, is an austere, neo-Georgian, early 20th century house situated on a prominent local coastal landmark. The house was built for William Smellie, a wealthy Englishman and founder member of the Trearddur Bay Sailing Club, as a holiday home. It was designed by F. G. Hicks, architect of Liverpool and the construction of the house began c 1911, work ceased during the First World War and recommenced shortly afterwards. The building was finally completed in 1922. The main part of the house is a 2-storey, 5-window range with a 2-storey, 4-window lower wing set at right angles to the front to form an L-shaped plan with the entrance porch in the angle; the advanced wing continues at a lower level with a storeyed servants wing, garage and boathouse.

Offline hollins

« Reply #753 on: July 03, 2012, 08:19:28 pm »
Where is this and which road is below?

Sorry, I put it in the wrong thread. Should be in the quiz!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #754 on: July 03, 2012, 08:45:30 pm »
Good job I didn't put my answer here then!  _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

« Reply #755 on: July 03, 2012, 08:48:53 pm »
Sorry for the confusion, pilot error!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #756 on: July 03, 2012, 09:50:16 pm »
I was up on Pen Y Dinas, Great Orme last Sunday to do some photos of the town, when I heard this thundering of hooves and at least 30 goats appeared running at top speed towards me. Here's just a few of them:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #757 on: July 04, 2012, 06:45:29 am »
Wasn't just a lonely goat you herd then?    _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #758 on: July 07, 2012, 09:52:49 pm »
I was in Chester today and decided to have my traditional walk right around the Walls. Several sections had diversions posted, as there is considerable rebuilding and repair work going on. Anyway, I found myself at Handbridge looking at the swollen River Dee. It was such a nice day that it was hard to imagine that all that rain fell on yesterday.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #759 on: July 08, 2012, 01:01:53 pm »
The weather on Friday was awful so on Saturday we decided to have 3 short walks in the Conwy Valley.  We took Jack's advice and went to see the Mare's tails waterfall from the Trefriw main road and the walk was much easier. We were glad we went because the waterfalls were in full flow and very impressive,then we walked back to the man made waterfall and back along the stream to the car park passing the ruins of the old wood mill on the way.
Next it was to the Fairy Falls in Trefriw, we started by the Woolen Mill  and we followed the river to the falls. It was surprising how many people were on this short walk to see the falls at their best.
The third and final walk was the longest and hardest too and one I won't be going back to do in a hurry.  We had our lunch in Dolgarrog which was just as well as we needed all our energy to climb the "Ancient Ardda Walk".   It starts by the Lord Newborough Pub and is the very steep maintenance road for the Water Board.  The guide we were using said "take this section slowly" which we found funny. The concrete road which zig zags up the hillside is so steep there is no other way you can walk it other than slowly, and very slowly we did it.  We reached the furthest part of the walk at Tai Isaf Ardda and in the far distance we could see the high peaks of the Ogwen Valley and behind us were superb views of Conwy Valley.
The return section was disappointing and had no true pathway but we did see some more waterfalls on the route down and we passed a number of guys in wetsuits who had been enjoying the canyon swimming.  As the banks of the gorge were dangerously slippy we returned to the concrete road and made our way down to the car.   A coffee in Trefriw and an ice cream at Tu Hwnt Y Bont completed a nice day.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #760 on: July 08, 2012, 01:03:47 pm »
Fairy Falls Trefriw

Offline Hugo

« Reply #761 on: July 08, 2012, 01:05:50 pm »
Dolgarrog Walk

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #762 on: July 08, 2012, 02:33:22 pm »
 $walesflag$ Absolutely beautiful Hugo. What a service you provide recording esoteric walks around Snowdonia and the Conwy valley. The places you show on this page I didn't even know existed and the photos do my heart good.

Thank you very much.

Heddwch.

Mike.  ZXZ
Micox

Offline Hugo

« Reply #763 on: July 08, 2012, 04:58:04 pm »
Thanks Mike, some of these places have taken me over sixty years to find so you are not alone there.   There's one walk I've been reading about and hope to do asap and despite living in the area all my life I had never heard of it before reading Chris Draper's book of walks in the Conwy Valley.
The walk is to the medieval village of Ardda which now lies long abandoned above Trefriw and Dolgarrog.   Tai Isaf Ardda that we saw on Saturday is one of the lowest properties in that area so we know that we have a long slog ahead of us when we come to do it!
Hope that you are keeping well and that you are safe and dry in your home in Norfolk

Offline Jack

« Reply #764 on: July 08, 2012, 05:01:45 pm »
Great photos Hugo, that concrete 'Welsh Water' road that leads to the ancient settlement of Ardda is an absolute killer.  However in late Spring it is beautiful as all the bluebells are in full bloom, the ancient woodland is in leaf and cuckoos are calling all around.