Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821708 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Walking
« Reply #720 on: May 29, 2012, 05:24:04 pm »
So maybe Yorkie was not so far from the truth???     ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #721 on: May 29, 2012, 08:24:21 pm »
The pawprints we found do look very similar to that of a Lynx:

Offline Tellytubby

« Reply #722 on: May 31, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »
great photo's Hugo - can't wait for the next walk. Hope the weather clears up for Tryfan

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #723 on: June 02, 2012, 01:36:37 pm »
Monday I took a day off from painting and took part in the "supposed to be 18 mile but turned out to be 22 mile" sponsored walk from Beaumaris over to Moelfre.  Well Socs and I had a brilliant time, the scenery was as always breathtaking.  We started 7.30am (way too early for me) from the greens opposite the Castle and made our way along the coastal path.  It wasn't long before we reached the beaches (pic 1) you could see for miles and even at that early hour it was very warm.  Me being me I had packed just about everything.....even Bear Grills would have been proud  ;D  I had a waterproof coat, binoculars,water bottles for me and Socs, gaters, sweets, sandwiches, dog treats and a fleece....oh and my Dads lead lined flask.  My rucksack felt like I was carrying a dead body and for most of the first leg of the walk I struggled not to fall backwards, the best was I needn't have bothered with half the stuff crammed into my bag as we had a backup team that met us every 3/4 miles along the way.  Something caught my eye as we passed the rugged shore line, someone had collected small pebbles from the beach and painted hearts on them then left them in a crevice on the beach, no idea why but they looked really nice (pic 2)
I had packed Socs ball but didn't want to keep throwing it as the sun was getting hotter and hotter and I was afraid she would over heat but that didn't stop her from collecting sticks and trying to get us to throw it (pic 3).  Socs was making us laugh as she kept running a hundred yards in front of us lying down and waiting with the stick as one by one the seven us had guilt trips as we walked passed and ignored her.  We made up for it as soon as we got to ponds though as it was then we'd throw the stick in so she got to cool down.  We were now well on our way to Penmon and all I could think of was ditching my bag and getting a coffee.  I think that the last pic is an old derelict life boat station.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #724 on: June 02, 2012, 01:49:49 pm »
We reached Penmon Priory and met up with the back up team (pic 1) I remember coming here as a kid and climbing up the tower in the Dovecot (pic 2/3) . I had a quick scout over the bridge and went to  St Seriols Well (pic 4/5)  My bag was emptied leaving only the ball, thrower and water ahh that was much better.  We grabbed a coffee filled up our water bottles and headed for Penmon lighthouse. 

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #725 on: June 02, 2012, 02:00:10 pm »
I've always loved it here as I have what can only be described as an obsession with Puffin Island, I'd love to go on the Island but I don't think your allowed unless with a guide (pic 1) on we trekked through wooded areas (pic 2) and along the shore, there's some lovely houses along here what an idyllic place to live (pic 4) the council have done a fantastic job with this coastal path (pic 5)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #726 on: June 02, 2012, 02:08:43 pm »
We met up with the back up team again and had a rest before heading for lunch at the pentan Arms.  The Pentan is run by Stuarts (Albion manager) brother an he laid on a great spread of sandwiches, crisps, squash and even dog treats for Socs I was well impressed , what a nice guy and it was very appreciated.(pic 1)  Socs was having a wail of a time but needed to re fuel too bless her.(pic 2) We headed back to the beach to rejoin the coastal path.  I think this stretch was the most scenic of the day.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #727 on: June 02, 2012, 02:33:31 pm »
We were on the last leg now and blisters and sun burn were taking there toll on most of us.  Three of the members on this walk had already walked over 100 miles fair play to them.  We all kept each others moral up by joking and messing around.  the next few pics are of more glorious scenery.  Finally we made the final push to the end and after 11 and a half hours feeling proud as punch we arrived back at camp 8pm for quite frankly the best can of lager I've ever had (pic 4) and Socs did herself proud too....I love that woofer  :-*.  We had been invited by the owners of the Kinmel Arms in Moelfre for a few pints and a bowl of soup...well it would be rude not to wouldn't it.  What a way to finish an excellent day, in fact I enjoyed myself that much I re joined the gang on the Wednesday for the last walk of the event from Cemaes to Mynych Dy but I have to go to work now so I'll tell you all about it on Monday folks.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #728 on: June 03, 2012, 10:17:44 am »
Yet another great walk, story, pics  $good$ when's the book coming out?  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Jack

« Reply #729 on: June 03, 2012, 08:01:28 pm »
Weather was horrendous today; wet, cold and windy so I didn't fancy doing a walk in the uplands or mountains so settled on walking along the coastal footpath from Aber Ogwen (near Penrhyn Castle) to Llanfairfechan and back again.  Aber Ogwen is a bird reserve owned by the North Wales Naturalist's Trust and can be reached off the old A55 just before Tal-y-Bont. 
Its quite an easy walk, very flat and apart from one small area where there is no path and you have to walk on the beach which is very tricky at high tide. 
The path continues past Morfa Aber (where the river from Aber Falls reaches the Menai Straits) and the bird reserve at Morfa Madryn before linking up with the promenade at Llanfairfechan and a welcoming hot chocolate before turning round and doing it all in reverse!!
I didn't take the camera today because of the weather but here are a few pictures from when I last did the walk and the sun was shining!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #730 on: June 04, 2012, 12:05:51 pm »
Sounds like you had a great walk Pendragon and the weather was good too.   The photos remind me of when we did the Anglesey Coastal walk and brought some nice memories back.
I see that you just made it at Red Wharf Bay and had to climb on that bank to avoid the sea, something similar happened to us there but just past the Pilot Boat Inn further up the coast we weren't so lucky!
Puffin Island is privately owned and you do have to get permission to land on the Island. We had the permission in March but the night before the boat trip we were told that the walk was cancelled. Apparently the Countryside Commission had landed on the Island the day before but couldn't even make it to the top of the Island because of the thick undergrowth and they would have had to go back there another day to clear a path for themselves and others to use.
Our walk on the Island is on hold until further notice but it's one I'm looking forward to.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #731 on: June 04, 2012, 12:10:11 pm »
Jack, that day was atrocious but good on you for doing that walk. We were due to go up Tryfan but called it off as Tryfan is not the type of walk you do in wet and windy weather.
I liked the photos though and have meant to have a walk there sometime.  I believe that there are Kingfishers on the banks of the river there and hope that we can see them when we eventually go for a walk there.

Offline pentan

« Reply #732 on: June 04, 2012, 12:54:42 pm »
Love the pics looks like you had a wail of a time, go by shep are you on the pics pen/D?

Offline hollins

« Reply #733 on: June 04, 2012, 02:12:39 pm »
Weather was horrendous today; wet, cold and windy

Jack, I looked at your photos before reading the text properly and I thought, my goodness they really have had much better weather than us today. Then I read your post properly!
Glad you had a good walk and your photos are lovely.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #734 on: June 04, 2012, 02:32:34 pm »
Saturday was a nice warm day and the day we chose to do the Mynydd Garthmyn walk as described in the Carl Rogers' book "Walking in the Conwy Valley"
We chose to start the walk from the car park of the White Horse in Capel Garmon and after passing a derelict smallholding we climbed steeply up the field to have commanding views over the village and beyond. The next section lead through a sloping bank with a few Pine Trees to our right but to our left there were Hawthorn bushes in full flower with families of Goldfinches and Linnets on them. Again there were spectacular views across the Conwy Valley. At over 1000 feet the next hilltop gave dramatic views across the woods to Moel Siabod which was clearly visible, as was Tryfan and parts of the Carneddau.
We then followed a farm track downhill which had a deep wooded valley to the right. Towards the bottom of the track we left it and headed for "Tan Y Foel" a stone built Hotel in a lovely secluded setting.  Shortly afterwards we left the Fields to walk on a lane for a short distance until we took a shortcut through some woods to go to the viewpoint at Mynydd Garthmyn. It's worth making the extra journey to get to the viewpoint because the views over Betws are quite superb. As we looked down on the village a pair of Buzzards kept circling way below us.
From there we made our way back to the White Horse Inn car park so we could continue on the next part of our day out.   One thing we found out to our cost was that the directions given in the book are very misleading and as a result the distance of 4 and 3/4 miles for the walk turned out to be 5.82 miles per the GPS. I've since altered my copy of the book to make it clearer for next time.