Author Topic: Walking  (Read 836055 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #705 on: May 24, 2012, 08:08:56 pm »
I really enjoyed reading about your walk and you certainly picked a great walk to do. I loved the photos and you've found loads of hidden gems there and I wouldn't mind doing that one sometime.   Your Dad must be pretty fit too because parts of the walk are very steep.
Good luck on your walk from Beaumaris to Pentraeth, it's a nice walk but watch the tides in Red Wharf Bay as the walk can be difficult at very high tides as we found out when we did that walk.
You need an early start for that one as it's fairly long but very enjoyable.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #706 on: May 24, 2012, 09:39:38 pm »
Nice walk and great pics, Miss P. I haven't been down to that waterfall yet, looks great.

Good Luck with your walk on Monday, too.  $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #707 on: May 24, 2012, 11:08:00 pm »
yes, another great walk, story and pics  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #708 on: May 25, 2012, 12:34:33 am »
pen you,v done it again, started were you left off last year with some great photo, s and a good story, hope you can make the walk around orme golfs cup charity day you and dad, it would be great to see you both knocking a ball around, give it a go

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #709 on: May 25, 2012, 05:18:17 pm »
Good luck for your walk Pen.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #710 on: May 25, 2012, 06:04:34 pm »
One of the best things about our walks...and I mean all of us on this forum, is getting the chance to write all about it on here.  I'll get my Dad to join in the golf tournament......not sure if he does golf, but I'm a dab hand on the play station so it may be my chance to outshine him....you never know  D)
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

« Reply #711 on: May 26, 2012, 01:17:26 pm »
Yesterday was a great day for walking so we decided to revisit the Maenan/ Cadair Ifan Goch walk.   The start of the walk was through woodland up a steep path and we were glad of the dappled shade because the temperature was very warm already.  The Bluebells were past their best but the display was not as good as we had seen in previous years.
After a short while we came to Cadair Ifan Goch which is a viewpoint that looks up and down the Conwy Valley and has stunning views in all directions.
After seeing the views we continued on the walk passing ruined farm buildings and crossing a small stream onto open farm land.  The heat was building up so when we came to the next woodland we sat in the shade of a large tree and had something to drink and eat before going on our way again.  On our last walk here we sat under the same tree but then it was for protection from the heavy rain!
There was an unusual rock formation here but it seemed natural rather than man made and immediately behind it was a marshy bit of land. 
Even though we have had a dry period it was hard getting past the next ruined building as the whole path was like a quagmire but we made it and then continued on our way up a lovely but narrow grass track leading to another farm.  Once past the farm we made our way through the open fields with the Ewes and their lambs everywhere until we came to Maenan School and back to the start of the walk.  I  had thought of this walk for our Retirement group to do but after doing it again it wouldn't really be suitable for them. The walk is very boggy even on good days and the gates are difficult to open and close. It's almost like the landowners have put obstacles in the way to prevent people walking there!
It was such a lovely day we drove to Llanrwst and after having an ice cream on the banks of the River Conwy we walked along the bank until we were near the suspension bridge and then turned round and walked back to the car for our journey home.  A great day out and on days like this it makes you really appreciate where you live.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #712 on: May 26, 2012, 01:22:02 pm »
Maenan / Llanrwst

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #713 on: May 27, 2012, 10:09:05 pm »
Pendragon's walk at the top of the Penmaenmawr Quarries a few weeks back intrigued me and so I headed up that way today with another local photographer. We decided to go up the easy way, from the Llanfairfechan side. ;D After a brisk 10 minute walk, broken only by a stop to look at some Carneddau Ponies who tried to eat my jeans, we arrived on the top and found ourselves by a man made lake. We then carried on along the top of the Quarry until we came to the highest point where, somewhat bizarrely, I found an old electric iron and two shoes (not matching). You get a real sense of how high up you are when you hear the noise of a light airplane flying along the coast and have to look down to see it, rather than up! After having a nose down into the operational part of the Quarry, we headed back down the quarry track and had a look in a pit surrounded by warning signs saying 'soft silt'. In here, we found some animal had walked across the clayish type silt, leaving its tracks clearly visible. Thing was, its feet were massive (see last pic) - what sort of an animal could it have been?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #714 on: May 27, 2012, 10:11:41 pm »
Probably not a horse footprint  :laugh:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #715 on: May 27, 2012, 10:44:05 pm »
Great Photos Dave and I bet you were rather warm walking up that slope and in Jeans too!   Pendragon has done some very interesting walks in that area.
That footprint may well be just a large dog but you never know what's up there.  I wish that I had done what you had when I was walking in deep snow up Moel Siabod.   We were the first people there that particular morning and there were no human prints only ours. We spotted those of a Badger and a Fox but there was another which was massive and looked like that of a large Dog or large cat.
What we should have done was to take a few shots of the prints with our boots alongside just to give an idea of the size of the print.
We didn't though and we both regret it even now.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #716 on: May 28, 2012, 07:30:28 am »
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #717 on: May 28, 2012, 10:42:23 am »
Perhaps there is a Penmaenmawr Puma on the loose?  :o

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #718 on: May 28, 2012, 11:08:30 am »
It could be Yorkie's avatar!   ;D

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #719 on: May 29, 2012, 12:22:20 pm »
For many years there's been various stories and sightings of a large Lynx living up on the pen/Llanfair mountains.  A friend of mine called Phil used to breed cats (the moggy type) and had a cattery under his house at Dingle Lodge in Pen, he once said that one night he could hear a commotion going on down stairs and so he went down to check.  He entered the cattery and to his horror found all the kittens and a few adult cats had been mauled to death, he couldn't understand it there was literally bits of cats all over the place.  As he came back out of the cattery he heard a rustling noise and suddenly a huge cat with tufts on it's ears jumped up at the fencing (at which point I would have had a cardiac-arrest)  :o.  He phoned the Rspca and was told it was possibly a Lynx , apparently a good few years ago a couple escaped from Colwyn bay zoo and the rocky hills of Pen/Llanfair are an ideal habitat for the Lynx.  Also farmers have seen their sheep mauled too.  So you never know.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley