Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820996 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #660 on: March 25, 2012, 03:55:46 pm »
Yes, I wouldn't go too near the egde either but he has always liked some "daring" activity or other.
Today he has been ski touring with a friend. This involves walking to the top of the mountain on skis and then skiing down. They put skins on the bottom of the skis which are just like strips of velcro but they stop them slipping backwards for the uphill part. Really hard work!
Here are some photos, worth it for the view maybe!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #661 on: March 25, 2012, 04:00:12 pm »
This is off piste, presumably? Must be a good skier :-)))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #662 on: March 25, 2012, 04:04:28 pm »
Yes, off piste.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #663 on: March 25, 2012, 08:19:12 pm »
Had a wander around Conwy today, lovely in the sunshine and very busy. View of the castle from the hill whose name eludes me:

Looking across at Conwy Castle by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Offline Hugo

« Reply #664 on: March 25, 2012, 09:25:13 pm »
Fantastic photo Dave with the Gyffin Stream in full flow.   Which camera did you use for that photo?

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #665 on: March 25, 2012, 09:42:15 pm »
So fantastic that you almost forget Billingtons' garage in the foreground unless you know it's there.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #666 on: March 25, 2012, 09:47:03 pm »
Fantastic photo Dave with the Gyffin Stream in full flow.   Which camera did you use for that photo?
Thanks, Hugo, just a shame about Billingtons garage spoiling the scene a little! I used the Nikon D700 today:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/Nikon-D700_Digital-Camera_review

EDIT: Just saw Stan's comment. I tried to hide it behind the trees as best I could!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #667 on: March 26, 2012, 10:50:50 am »
A few more leaves needed? ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #668 on: March 27, 2012, 11:09:41 am »
Walking Events--
A Story of Conwy Town, Then and Now - Walking tour!
15th April 2012
A gentle hour and a half walk along pavements, paths and quay around Conwy Town. Led by an experienced local guide who will bring to life the towns violent medieval past, the industrial revolution and Victorian tourism to the present. Easy, mainly flat with two or three gentle slopes. No Steps.
Duration: 1.5 hours Distance: 1.25km / 1 mile Meet: 9.45am Opposite the Castle Hotel, High Street Conwy Start.
16 and over £3, under 16 £1, under 10 free.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #669 on: March 27, 2012, 11:09:58 am »
Walking Events--
Daffodil Walk!
8th April 2012
Come and join us on this traditional Easter/Spring walk from Penmaenmawr to visit Llangelynnin Old Church. We will be accompanied by historian Dennis Roberts and hope to see an abundance of golden daffodils on the nearby mountainside. Return transport provided from “Old Church Car Park” and Ty Gwyn Pub, Rowen. Duration: 5-6 hours Distance: 5-6 miles Meet: 9.45am Fernbrook Road Car Park, Penmaenmawr.
Entry fee is £5.00 but all goes to charity.

Offline BrianP

« Reply #670 on: March 27, 2012, 08:21:57 pm »
Dave,
Do you have to pre-book, or can you just turn up on the day
Cheers,
Brian

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #671 on: March 27, 2012, 08:26:30 pm »
I think you just turn up on the day, all these walks are from a group I found on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Walking-in-North-Wales/117761731607491

Offline Hugo

« Reply #672 on: April 18, 2012, 11:28:13 am »
I enjoyed a short walk with the Retirement Group yesterday.  We did a walk up to Aber Falls and back which is always enjoyable as it's a relatively short walk with beautiful scenery all around. The weather was windy and overcast with a few isolated showers but the river and waterfall were in full flood following last nights rain so it was a very impressive sight.
The smaller waterfall, Rhaeadr Bach had more water flowing down than I have seen before and that too was a lovely sight to see.
With rain threatening we thought that we would head straight back and go to the cafe in Aber before it closed and the coffee and Chocolate Brownie I had was as nice as the last time I was there.     :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #673 on: April 26, 2012, 04:49:28 pm »
Today we decided to do the Maenan Walk as detailed by Carl Rogers in his book "Walking in the Conwy Valley".   It's a short easy walk of about 3 miles with superb views of the Conwy Valley from the viewpoint at Cadair Ifan Goch.   The first part of the walk is to Cadair Ifan Goch and goes through a Bluebell Wood but we were too early to appreciate the flowers but in another 2-4 weeks they will be at their best and you will be able to smell their aroma as you walk through the wood.   We went to  the viewpoint for some photos but the visibility wasn't good and the weather looked like it was getting worse  so we quickly moved on. Following the track we passed some houses with stunning views of the Conwy River and Carneddau mountains and then walked past an old ruined building before going over a stream using the old stone footbridge.  We then headed uphill across some open fields just as the rain started to bucket down and headed for another wood where we took shelter and ate some soggy sandwiches!
The rain wasn't stopping so we again moved on past another old ruined building where the path was really mucky especially after last nights rain after passing the ruin we made it to the country road and decided to cut the walk short and follow the road back to the National Trust Car Park.  I had planned to take my friends to Plas Maenan for a coffee on the verandah there but I don't think that they would have appreciated 3 wet and dirty individuals arriving on the doorstep..  but instead we ended up getting  coffees and McFlurries from MacDonalds and enjoying them at the RSPB car park overlooking the River Conwy.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #674 on: April 26, 2012, 04:51:19 pm »
Maenan Walk