Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821053 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Walking
« Reply #645 on: March 15, 2012, 05:19:00 pm »
I imagine this subject could fill a thousand page book. But just one thought. The walls "outside" the inner ring road section are very close to the river Dee and then right alongside the roodee racecourse and then the railway. I dont think a ringroad straddling the river etc would be acceptable. But Ireckon we had better discuss this over a pint (or few hundred) Mike

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #646 on: March 16, 2012, 10:10:49 am »
Thanks very much Blodyn.  That Chapel is in the grounds of Penrhyn Old Hall and is believed to be the original St Mary's Chapel built in 1447.  Here's a photo of the interior in 1926. It's a shame that it has been allowed to go into ruin so quickly after it closed in 1930.

Hugo, thank you for that very interesting photo of the old chapel.  As you say, it is indeed a great shame to see it derelict. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #647 on: March 17, 2012, 05:46:35 pm »
A trip over to the medieval market town of Denbigh today. Interesting place, lots of old buildings to look at, with a few of them in need of some renovation:

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #648 on: March 17, 2012, 06:04:27 pm »
Hooray!
I was hoping you would get to Denbigh with your camera one day.
I love the one of the washing line.
Like you say there are some lovely old buildings. Some have received big grants and have been or are being restored but others are boarded up as your photos show.
Here is  one of my photos of Vale Street which has many of the attractive Georgian buildings on it.
Did you take any photos down there?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #649 on: March 17, 2012, 06:32:03 pm »
It was just a scouting expedition , so I only had the iphone and compact camera with me. I will return when the weather improves with Big Daddy Nikon to take some proper photos.

Yes, it's a nice little town. I walked up Vale Street, but it started to pour with train, so I wasn't hanging around! First photo is of Mostyn House (built 1722), restored to its former glory - you can see how it used to look before restoration in the photo in the doorway. Second photo is part of of a carved wooden shop front that was almost across the road from Mostyn House - is that a Chinaman's head?!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #650 on: March 17, 2012, 07:00:20 pm »
One thing that I did think was a particular shame was the state of the Crown Hotel in the little square. It was only renovated completely a few years ago with HLF/THI money and it is already boarded up and slowly sliding back into dereliction.

Offline hollins

« Reply #651 on: March 18, 2012, 02:52:44 pm »
O'h dear. That is a shame. I didn't know about that.

I went for a nice walk in the woods with my mum today. hasn't it been a gorgeous day?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #652 on: March 19, 2012, 08:08:33 am »
That last shot's good, H;  very nice framing.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #653 on: March 19, 2012, 08:39:47 am »
Thank you!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #654 on: March 19, 2012, 09:04:53 am »
The last shot is good, hollins, but the other two are very special.  ;)

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #655 on: March 19, 2012, 09:26:45 am »
That looks a lovely walk, Hollins, and it's nice to see your Mum stepping out there. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #656 on: March 24, 2012, 12:00:14 pm »
As our indended walk for Friday had been cancelled we reverted to Plan B and had a walk on Holyhead Mountain instead.   The weather in the local area was fine and sunny but in Holyhead there was a white mist throughout the day and the Fog horn was sounding out on a regular basis to warn any passing ships.
We parked the car in the Ellins Tower car park and walked across the road to see the Iron Age hut circles known locally as the Irishmen's Huts.  After that we crossed back over to the car park and walked along the cliff edge path to Ellins Tower, the RSPB centre where there is a great viewpoint to watch the large variety of birds that will be nesting on the cliff edges soon.   There's a good view of South Stack lighthouse from this point too.  Next we were off to Southstack Lighthouse but as it was closed we only walked half way down the numerous steps until we found a good viewpoint to watch the birds again.  We were looking for the Puffins but unfortunately didn't see any.  We did see numerous other varieties of seabirds though. It was back up the steps and along the coast of Gogarth Bay until we came to an old lookout tower where we stopped for some refreshments. We then continued to the ruins of the old Roman lookout tower and then turned back and retraced our way back to the cafe where we enjoyed a nice coffee and cake. We returned to the car park via the cliff edge footpath and spoke to a couple of climbers who were climbing down the vertical side of the cliff!   The path we were walking on was not one for the faint hearted or for anyone who has a trace of vertigo but these guys were going to climb down it.    Definitely not for me.    :o

Offline Hugo

« Reply #657 on: March 24, 2012, 12:02:00 pm »
Holyhead Mountain

Offline hollins

« Reply #658 on: March 24, 2012, 03:30:42 pm »
Looks an impressive walk Hugo and it must have been very atmospheric with the mist swirling around. My husband and I have very different memories of South Stack. He used to do quite a bit of climbing there. He remembers ones called, A dream of white horses, Wen and Central Park.
My own memory is being taken there for an art course when I was in the sixth form!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #659 on: March 25, 2012, 11:45:17 am »
It was a lovely walk but you had to be careful around the edges of the cliffs as there are no fences  or protection there. Luckily for us there was no wind and it was a calm day so it made it a very enjoyable walk.
Your husband has more guts than me because there is no way on earth I'd try climbing there or anywhere else. 
Every year we used to go to North Stack to watch the Seals being born on the beach about 200 foot below the cliff but we'd crawl on our hands and knees to the edge rather than risk falling over the edge with the inevitable result.