Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820929 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #615 on: March 06, 2012, 03:03:34 pm »
Those black and white photos of the Granite Quarry are very effective Dave and the views are superb from up there. It's a while since I went to the quarry but I did go to Tre'r Ceiri last year and what a location for that hill fort.

Offline hollins

« Reply #616 on: March 06, 2012, 06:44:37 pm »
DaveR, I love the photo "Looking Back.." that you have put on the blog. It looks like a painting. The buildings are so defined as if they have drawn lines around them. When you look at the one above it is less clear. I was just interested in what you have done to achieve the quality of the one on the blog?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #617 on: March 06, 2012, 07:29:21 pm »
Hi H, I used the Clarity function in Lightroom  to make it all look more defined:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #618 on: March 10, 2012, 07:58:00 pm »
A visit to Greenfield Valley Heritage Park today. This is a great weekend walk, you can start at the bottom of the valley by the coast road and walk right up to Holywell past all the various lakes, streams and buildings that date from its days as an industrial centre. Only had my pocket Nikon with me, so pics are not as good as normal, I'm afraid. Last photo is of the St Winefrides Well buildings, there is an open air pool behind the building that is in constant use even today by Pilgrims:
http://www.saintwinefrideswell.com/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #619 on: March 10, 2012, 08:15:46 pm »
Also passed the rusting hulk of the 'Funship' aka the 'Duke of Lancaster', the former Heysham-Belfast Ferry. How it ended up beached at Mostyn is a long and very convoluted story:
http://www.dukeoflancaster.net/

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #620 on: March 10, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »
saw the first superman film when we made a visit out of curiosity on this ship, was a long time ago, can,t remember the year but we had both my children who were still in school with us,must have been before 1982

Offline emma p

« Reply #621 on: March 10, 2012, 10:01:43 pm »
So enjoy this walking thread........the photographs are amazing.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #622 on: March 11, 2012, 11:58:03 am »
That's a nice pleasant and interesting walk Dave and not too strenuous.   The steep track that runs uphill on the left of the lakes is the old railway track. It goes up through the double arched bridge by Tesco's and that is where Holywell Railway Station once was.
 It's hard to imagine that now with the steepness of the track and the landscaping that has been done since the track closed but I was lucky enough to see some original photos in a book that a friend brought along with him when we did the walk recently.
St Winefrede's Well went dry in 1917 (I think) when something happened at the Lead Mines higher up but later that year they did something again in the Lead Mines and the supply of water to the place re continued.   I don't know about the water being holy but it should put lead in your pencil if you bathe in there!
My friend who once lived in the Greenfield area took me to the place where the water from the mines enters the sea and said that 23 million gallons of water is drained from the mines daily!   It certainly came out of the drainage tunnel in a torrent.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #623 on: March 11, 2012, 10:25:27 pm »
Snowcap, the funship was docked at Mostyn in the summer of 1979 and opened soon after Mike

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #624 on: March 12, 2012, 07:59:15 am »
They do say that a round of golf is a good walk spoilt!    ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #625 on: March 12, 2012, 08:51:38 am »
Also passed the rusting hulk of the 'Funship' aka the 'Duke of Lancaster', the former Heysham-Belfast Ferry. How it ended up beached at Mostyn is a long and very convoluted story:
http://www.dukeoflancaster.net/

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/03/12/meeting-to-decide-future-of-flintshire-s-duke-of-lancaster-funship-55578-30510628/
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #626 on: March 13, 2012, 07:49:44 pm »
I enjoyed a pleasant walk around the walls in Chester today. It was a bit grey so sorry for the rather bland looking photos but here is a tour of the good, the bad, and the ugly which follows on from DaveR's last post which mentions the contrast between the old buildings and the 60's additions.

Whenever I park my car in the multi storey in the Grosvenor centre it always reminds me of Adam Adamant! Does anyone remember him? You drive up the ramp and on the right is the plain brick wall that he used to disappear behind.

Offline hollins

« Reply #627 on: March 13, 2012, 07:51:55 pm »
A few more.

Offline hollins

« Reply #628 on: March 13, 2012, 07:54:09 pm »
The last two are quirky pub signs.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: March 13, 2012, 08:51:31 pm »
Great work, H. I always think a walk right around the Walls is one of the great pleasures of a visit to Chester.