Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821147 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #585 on: February 04, 2012, 03:24:49 pm »
Thanks Blodyn for pointing that out. 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #586 on: February 04, 2012, 05:24:54 pm »
Also Hugo, I'm sure that this will be safer for you than clambering about on the roof, to look for your slate!  :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #587 on: February 11, 2012, 03:56:31 pm »
The visibility wasn't good but at least it was dry when we set off on our Little Orme walk. First of all it was over to Angel Bay where we saw nine seals on the beach so we took some photos before going up the steep section to the quarry. After catching our breath we walked up on the seaside edge of the quarry up to the summit and then over to the main road and along it to Penrhynside.  There we walked through the narrow street until we reached the end of the village and took the footpath leading us to Pant Y Wennol Cottages. From there we dropped down through Bodafon School to Bodafon Road and followed the road until we reached Bodafon Farm.
At the farm we were going to have a quick coffee before carrying on to Nant Y Gammar and Gloddaeth Woods but it didn't turn out quite as planned. We had a lovely cup of coffee and a very interesting conversation with the farmer Mark Roberts and had a look around at the Birds of Prey.  There is so much to see and we were fascinated by it all, so much so that before we knew it it was time to make our way back.   It was a great experience and the staff were nice so I'm going back next week to see the rest of the animals!
We made our way back across the public footpath through the fields and passed a Llama and her baby along the way and then up Ffynnon Sadwrn footpath back to the cars in Penrhyn Bay.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #588 on: February 11, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »
Little Orme Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #589 on: February 11, 2012, 05:01:51 pm »
Little Orme Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #590 on: February 11, 2012, 05:03:59 pm »
Little Orme Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #591 on: February 14, 2012, 04:41:26 pm »
I had a phone call from a friend last night asking if I wanted to go for a walk on the Great Orme today so the offer was too good to refuse. We went around the Marine Drive from the West Shore and turned into Llys Helyg Drive for our walk across the Gunsite.  The house getting built next door to Frank Tyldesley's old house is well under way but I couldn't help but notice the severe erosion at the end of Frank's garden.
We went up a steep section past the old WW II look out building and stopped for a nice coffee in the cafe before heading over the Orme and down St Beuno's road to the steps leading to Tyn Y Coed Road.
At the end of the road we stopped and sat on a bench above the zig zag path admiring the view and although it wasn't a particularly nice day the view is still amazing. My friend had lived in the area 27 years and yet he had never done that walk before but I'm sure that he will now that he knows the area better..

Offline Hugo

« Reply #592 on: February 14, 2012, 04:43:26 pm »
Great Orme Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #593 on: February 17, 2012, 04:16:05 pm »
We fancied doing  the Capelulo walk described in Carl Rogers' book so we met at the top of Sychnant Pass today to start the walk.  The weather wasn't good and the visibility was poor but we had wet weather gear with us and decided to go ahead with the walk. After about a mile though the rain eased off and we took off our waterproof leggings as it was far easier walking without them and while we were sat down doing that a small white Stoat was scurrying about looking for a meal
As we were walking through an area of burnt Gorse we were able to see the Carneddau wild ponies and a couple of Kestrels and a pair of Fieldfares.   There are some ruined buildings on the way too. 
We sat on a bench near the slate sign post to have our refreshments and then began part of the Jubilee Walk around the contours of Moel Lus.  The weather was closing in again so visibility was poor but on a better day the views from this walk must be outstanding.
We came down to Capelulo via Fairy Glen and chose to walk back to the top of Sychnant Pass through the valley and although it was a bit of a pull up the slope it was worth it as I've never done this walk before.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #594 on: February 17, 2012, 04:18:08 pm »
Capelulo Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #595 on: February 17, 2012, 04:20:50 pm »
Capelulo Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #596 on: February 23, 2012, 08:40:22 pm »
It was a beautiful warm day today so we took advantage of the good weather to do a walk that I have wanted to do for ages. It was the Greenfield Valley Heritage walk, a short walk of about 3 miles but it covered many things like a Medieval Abbey, 19th century mills, a Victorian Farm and St Winefrede's Well.
The walk started in Greenfield and the Basingwerk Abbey and then we worked our way around the site visiting the Lower Cotton Mill where you see the remains of a six storey cotton mill that was built there in just 10 weeks and employed up to 300 apprentices.   Continuing onwards we came to Meadow Mill and then upwards to Greenfield Mills.  At each Mill there is a large lake that was used to power the machinery in the mills. 
Apart from various birds we did not see any of the other wildlife that live in this area but the evidence was there to see.
We then followed the disused railway track up to Holywell and passed under the bridge to where Holywell Railway Station once stood. To look at it now you couldn't imagine that there had been a Railway Station there but a friend had a photo of how it looked in it's heyday and it was reputedly the steepest gradient of any British Rail train.
After looking around Holywell we came down the hill and visited St Winefrede's Well before going back to the car park and a quick visit to the shoreline in Greenfield.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #597 on: February 23, 2012, 08:43:26 pm »
Greenfield Valley Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #598 on: February 23, 2012, 08:45:25 pm »
Greenfield Valley Walk

Offline Jack

« Reply #599 on: February 23, 2012, 08:56:09 pm »
It was a beautiful day further west too, I was supposed to be working near Bangor but after a mix up over the delivery of materials I found myself at a bit of a loose end after lunch and so went up Aber Falls.  I parked near the old Aber Hotel by the pine furniture manufacturer and walked up thru the village past the cafe and took the second public footpath on the right.  The path rises sharply and steeply and after a few pauses for sharp intakes of breath and admiring the views of the Menai Straits, Anglesey and the coast down to Llandudno the path meets the North Wales Footpath.  This then leads to a smaller waterfall before the main Aber Falls.  After crossing the bridge below the falls the path winds its way down the valley first to the pay and display car park and then back to the village.  Great, brisk walk.