Author Topic: Walking  (Read 822004 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: Walking
« Reply #570 on: January 23, 2012, 07:50:38 pm »
As the blue skies came over this afternoon we were wondering where to go for a couple of hours fresh air. As Mrs Medz is partial to walking round and informally viewing other peoples houses ( if I did it I'd be a Peeping Tom) especially the bigger ones, we headed up towards some of the larger houses on Colwyn Heights. We parked up on St Andrews Drive and walked up the drive and down following a footpath at the side of the Community Centre. Apart from wishing I had one leg longer than the other we had a nice stroll down the path looking at stunning views of the coast and the river valley. We ended up on Bryn Cadno which gave me a view of The Little Orme I've never seen before.Up there we got talking to a dog walker who said he remembered playing golf on the land which was now partially covered in housing. Was there a golf course up there? if so the views must have been almost as spectacular as those offered by Mike's Pitch and Putt course on the Orme.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #571 on: January 23, 2012, 08:14:07 pm »
Up there we got talking to a dog walker who said he remembered playing golf on the land which was now partially covered in housing. Was there a golf course up there? if so the views must have been almost as spectacular as those offered by Mike's Pitch and Putt course on the Orme.
[smg id=432]

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #572 on: January 23, 2012, 08:31:24 pm »
We almost bought a property up there, several roads are named after golf courses, St Andrews, Sunningdale etc.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #573 on: January 23, 2012, 08:41:41 pm »
As the blue skies came over this afternoon we were wondering where to go for a couple of hours fresh air. As Mrs Medz is partial to walking round and informally viewing other peoples houses ( if I did it I'd be a Peeping Tom) especially the bigger ones, we headed up towards some of the larger houses on Colwyn Heights. We parked up on St Andrews Drive and walked up the drive and down following a footpath at the side of the Community Centre. Apart from wishing I had one leg longer than the other we had a nice stroll down the path looking at stunning views of the coast and the river valley. We ended up on Bryn Cadno which gave me a view of The Little Orme I've never seen before.Up there we got talking to a dog walker who said he remembered playing golf on the land which was now partially covered in housing. Was there a golf course up there? if so the views must have been almost as spectacular as those offered by Mike's Pitch and Putt course on the Orme.

I often find that when my wife looks around at other people's houses (as wives frequently do), it very quickly starts to cost me a lot of money.
Such phrases as, 'those blinds would look lovely in our windows',  or 'they've got lovely new windows, haven't they?' induce a moderate degree of sweat.
Just over a year ago she she uttered the words, 'look how they've used the space to the side, with that extension' .. and that is when the trouble started!!   :o :o
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #574 on: January 23, 2012, 08:46:10 pm »
I think your house extension closely rivalled the Pyramids for length of construction time....  :laugh:

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #575 on: January 25, 2012, 10:52:37 am »
Was there a golf course up there? if so the views must have been almost as spectacular as those offered by Mike's Pitch and Putt course on the Orme.

We bought our house up there before the Estate was developed and the Golf Course was behind our house. In fact there was a Green behind the house and my next door neighbour dug it up to use the soil on his garden.
The Golf Course was overgrown when we moved here about 26 years ago but was a handy place to dispose of our grass cuttings.

Offline hollins

« Reply #576 on: February 03, 2012, 03:41:06 pm »
I received this info about the opening of the Welsh coast path today.
Sounds like a challenge!

On 5 May the Wales Coast Path, Wales’ newest attraction, will be declared officially open.  At 870 miles (1400km), this is the first coast path to outline an entire country and will run from the outskirts of Chester in the North to Chepstow in the South.

The Conwy section of the Wales Coast Path is 34.5 miles and takes in family attractions, seaside resorts and rural country scenes.  The Path is for everyone and gives people the chance to explore coastal Wales, an area voted by The Lonely Planet Guide as “The best region on earth to visit in 2012”.  Visit www.conwy.gov.uk/countryside for information on the Conwy Coast Path or www.ccw.gov.uk for the full Wales Coast Path.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #577 on: February 03, 2012, 04:26:35 pm »
Thanks very much for posting that Hollins, I'll enjoy reading all about it.  Meanwhile I'm keeping off the hills with all the ice about and had another nice walk on the Great Orme.
Starting from the West Shore I walked on the Monk's Path (aka Cust's Path) just above the Toll House. I had intended to see a cave above the path but now another fence on the Orme Side has been added presumably for safety reasons so I couldn't go there. The path passes above St Petrocks and comes out in Pen Y Ffordd Goch and that in turn leads to the Marine Drive. Stopping briefly to look at Miriam Yr Ogof's ruined cottage I carried on up the Marine Drive and went up the Monks Path and walked along to the cafe for a nice coffee and cake.
The cottage near the path is called Swn Y Mor and on the Secrets of the Great Orme Map is shown as the Tom and Jerry House (old pumping station)  I noticed some dressed stone in the garden wall that looked out of place and possibly "recycled" from the Bishop's Palace across the road!
The Monk's Path was slippier than usual due to the melting ice and empty mussel shells littered the path, remnants of a Gulls meal  probably.
After having a drink it was back on the Orme where I passed these iron chains which I think is all that is left of the Semaphore Station that was once there. A brief visit to St Tudno's then down the path by Ffynnon Powell and I returned to my car via Tyn Y Coed Road and the zig zag path.  A fairly quick walk with lovely views all around.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #578 on: February 03, 2012, 04:28:31 pm »
Great Orme Walk today

Offline Hugo

« Reply #579 on: February 03, 2012, 04:30:58 pm »
Great Orme Walk today

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #580 on: February 03, 2012, 04:53:12 pm »
Hugo. You mention St Tudno's Church. Weather permitting etc. it is hoped that work will start at the end of this month to re-roof the Church. The work will take about 10 weeks and for safety reasons etc the Church will be closed during that time.

Enjoyed your pictures.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #581 on: February 03, 2012, 09:33:35 pm »
Thanks Bellringer, I'll look for my name on one of those tiles when the Church reopens.    :)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #582 on: February 03, 2012, 09:37:05 pm »
Slates Hugo - you can't put tiles on an ancient Church!!  Tut, tut.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #583 on: February 03, 2012, 10:01:25 pm »
Glad the roof appeal was obviously successful in the end!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #584 on: February 04, 2012, 01:49:50 pm »
Thanks Bellringer, I'll look for my name on one of those tiles when the Church reopens.    :)

Sorry, Hugo, I'm afraid that you won't be able to see your name.  The names will be on the undersides of the slates to protect them from the elements.  However, the Sponsor-a-Slate with all the names and messages will be bound and will be available in the parish archive. 

Glad you had a good walk. 

St. Tudno's church will be closed from Saturday 18 February, as it has to be cleared for the interior work.