Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821403 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #540 on: November 10, 2011, 03:31:09 pm »
Pendragon, I too find the details of your walks fascinating, you seem to be very knowledable about the local area. I would like to ask you, can you (or any other members) suggest any local walks of interest that are on the flat? I have a few health problems and find I can no longer walk uphill ( boy, do I live in the wrong place!) I would love to find interesting walks that I can manage, especially if you can advise me of interesting sites along the way.By local I mean anywhere between say Penmaenmawr, Conwy and around Llandudno. :)

There aren't all that many walks completely on the flat in this area but you can make them up as we do in a retirement group that I walk with once a month.  Because of their limited mobility we sometimes walk from the RSPB nature reserve in Llandudno Junction along the banks of the River Conwy to the flyover and then on to either Conwy or Deganwy and do the return journey by bus to avoid coming back the same way.
Another nice walk is in Llanfairfechan starting from the Promenade and walking along the coast towards Aber until we reach the bird hides and then returning back in the same direction.
Because we are all over 60 we can get a free train ride to Betws Y Coed and then we walk around the golf course along the banks of the Rivers Llugwy and Conwy returning later by train after having a nice coffee somewhere.
Hope that you can find a walk that suits you. 

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #541 on: November 10, 2011, 03:39:52 pm »
The only walk I could suggest on the flat is the RSPB at Junction don't forget though you can't take your dog. 
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

« Reply #542 on: November 11, 2011, 01:33:34 pm »
I had forgotten about another flat walk I do sometimes.  It's not strenuous but is easy and enjoyable.   
Starting from Penrhyn Beach East go up the steps and turn right and follow the path to Angel Bay. With a bit of luck you might see seals along the way (the most I've seen was 27) or even the Peregrine Falcons that live by the old quarry.
Retrace your walk and continue ahead past the steps that you came up and continue along the footpath until you come to a private road.  Walk along the road and you come out at the bottom of Penrhyn Hill.
Cross the road carefully and you can then either visit Batty's Nursery or look at Penrhyn Old Hall and the old Chapel or do as I do and go around the corner and have a nice Cappuccino and cake at Home from Home Cooking.   $good$
To return to the start of your walk you can either retrace your steps along the private road or go past the Co-op and walk along the pavement to the start.

Offline Welshmunchkin

• Peace can only be achieved by understanding
« Reply #543 on: November 11, 2011, 07:52:48 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions re walking on the flat. Yes I think I'll give them a go. I'd love to go and see the things that Pendragon sees up the mountains, but I think the RSPB walk sounds good too. Thanks for your help! And if anyone can think of any more I'd be glad to hear from you!
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.  --Stephen Hawking

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know - it's me!    --John G. Miller

Offline Hugo

« Reply #544 on: December 18, 2011, 06:14:44 pm »
I've not had a walk for nearly 3 months due to a trapped nerve in my back but yesterday I met up with 5 friends in Capel Curig for a short walk followed by a meal in the Bryn Tyrch afterwards. It was too good an offer to miss so I met up with them and parked in Joe Brown's car park and set off past the Pinnacles Cafe and over the road  past the Church to take the path across the hills to Llyn Crafnant.
It's quite a good clear path normally but yesterday it was very wet and heavy going but at least it was dry.  That was until we reached the viewpoint at the western end of the lake and then the heavens opened, rain,hail and snow all at the same time. Soacked before we could even get our waterproofs on.
Nevertheless we returned back to the cars knowing that we had a change of clothes in the car and a nice hot meal and a few pints of beer were waiting for us in the Bryn Tyrch.    Z**
 It was just nice to get back into the hills despite the weather and catch up with my old mates and plan walks for the New Year.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #545 on: December 18, 2011, 07:06:52 pm »
Looks a bit nippy up there, Hugo!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #546 on: December 19, 2011, 10:34:56 am »
Looks a bit nippy up there, Hugo!

It might have been Dave, but I had a base layer, fleece,windproof fleece and a light anorak on and by the time I got to near the viewpoint I was boiling hot. The windproof came off and into the rucksack it went and it was more comfortable afterwards.
Could have done with it in the Bryn Tyrch though as it was a bit cool in there.   ;D   

No problems with the back so hopefully I'll be enjoying some more walks soon.    $good$

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #547 on: December 19, 2011, 12:55:40 pm »
You're making me envious Hugo, I used to enjoy walking on the Carneddau on a Sunday, but I started having trouble with my knees. The last time I ventured up there, I had to walk backwards down the last three slopes. At least I had a last view of the hills that I loved.   :(
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Hugo

« Reply #548 on: December 19, 2011, 01:09:41 pm »
You're making me envious Hugo, I used to enjoy walking on the Carneddau on a Sunday, but I started having trouble with my knees. The last time I ventured up there, I had to walk backwards down the last three slopes. At least I had a last view of the hills that I loved.   :(

I'm taking one day at a time Quiggs, last year I had problems with my knees.this year with my back but I'll make the most of it while I can.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #549 on: December 19, 2011, 04:39:43 pm »
** Death of walker after avalanche **
A man dies in Snowdonia after snow hanging over a ridge he was walking on collapses, causing an avalanche which also sweeps away a woman.
< http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-16235480 >

Y Garn is notorious for having these cornices at the edge of the cliffs. It's just like a cantilever of snow with nothing underneath to support it.
Snowdon has similar cornices in snowy conditions and I can remember once going up the top part of the Llanberis path near the summit of Snowdon and sticking to the path unlike another climber who veered off the path and walked to the edge of the cliff with his dog. The man and dog were ok because the footprints showed that they had returned back to the path.  Absolutely stupid, they were very lucky as they could have been another statistic!

Offline hollins

« Reply #550 on: January 02, 2012, 08:35:00 pm »
We went to visit some friends today who live near the racecourse in Chester. We had a lovely walk around the walls. Here are a few snaps. Great weather.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #551 on: January 02, 2012, 08:47:52 pm »
I always enjoy a visit to Chester, love all that history.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #552 on: January 07, 2012, 05:16:49 pm »
Today we set off to the top of Sychnant Pass to start the walk over the Conwy mountain and back again.  Just a short, enjoyable walk to blow the cobwebs away and it did because it was quite windy up there despite the weather forecast to the contrary. We soon reached the ridge and followed it down through the Iron Age hill fort past the herd of wild Mountain Ponies until we found a sheltered place to have our lunch and look at the stunning views all around.
Returning back we had a look at the old quarry workings and what looked like a man made lake or reservoir (Pendragon would know what it was)
We walked along the edge, then past the farm until we got back to our car. A nice easy walk that was finished off with Milk shakes and coffee at the RSPB reserve in Junction.  It makes you realise how lucky we are to live in this area.   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #553 on: January 07, 2012, 05:19:03 pm »
Conwy Mountain Walk

Offline hollins

« Reply #554 on: January 07, 2012, 05:51:48 pm »
Lovely to see those great views Hugo. Thanks for posting them.
They make me feel guilty for having a lazy day inside.