Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821544 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #465 on: October 01, 2011, 02:38:21 pm »
I've really enjoyed reading about your walks with all the history involved and the photos are just stunning.  Coming from Llandudno we never knew much about Penmaenmawr other than the quarry clock and the time of the blasting but there's a lot of history there and a lot more to find out.
Looking down from the Druid's circle you realise just how beautiful the area is and how lucky we are to be living in this part of the world.       $walesflag$

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #466 on: October 02, 2011, 08:50:51 pm »
you only realise the beauty of wales when you move away from it, when your brought up there you take your surroundings for granted

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #467 on: October 02, 2011, 09:10:43 pm »
  Blodyn mentions the "pointy bit at the top."  As kids riding our bikes along the coast road we always called that "pimple mountain"  For years and years afterwards (from cars) I always used to look up for the pimple but it slowly got smaller and smaller.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #468 on: October 02, 2011, 09:19:27 pm »
was it you getting taller and taller mike?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #469 on: October 03, 2011, 04:49:17 pm »
I have looked at dozens of old photos and paintings of Pen mountain over the years and in some I have noticed a "pointy bit" or "pimple" on the top  ;D
Having read Alwyn S Evans book Populating the past I just assumed that the point in question was a Cairn one of 3 large structures situated at the top of Braich y Dinas.  However when you look at old paintings the point is not there and considering its size I can't imagine it having been omitted from all the pictures so I took a closer look at old photos. 
I have now decided that the pointy bit was the last stage on the top of the mountain to be quarried which matches up with what Mike said about the pimple getting smaller and smaller over the years.
You can see from the painting below that the mountain used to be a completely different shape before the Quarry.  The second is a drawing of the plan of Braich y Dinas fort.  In the next photo you can clearly see the "pointy bit" on the top and  in the last photo you can see the perspective and size of the point on the top.....it would be the equivalent size of a skyscraper if it was a Cairn.  What do you think?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #470 on: October 03, 2011, 05:07:42 pm »
When I lived on the Gunsite, we would often hear the 'Blasting' coming from the quarry. My father told me that the pimple on the top could not be removed as it was the ' Trigonometric Point ' which was used to calculate the heights and positions of adjoining peaks.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #471 on: October 03, 2011, 05:10:47 pm »
Thanks Quiggs....course I never  would have thought of that  ;D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline hollins

« Reply #472 on: October 08, 2011, 07:44:12 pm »
Just back from a walking trip on the Pembrokeshire coast path. Here are a few photos of the section between Newport and Cardigan. It is dramatic scenery with a lot of ascent and descent.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #473 on: October 09, 2011, 03:23:29 pm »
I thought that I'd have a walk around the Marine Drive today and after parking my car by the Headlands Hotel I walked over Happy Valley to the road.  The machinery for the sea defence looked high and dry but the sea was calm today.   ??? I passed the Rock Studios where several climbers seemed ready to commence climbing and thought rather them than me!
Around the first headland I went to Pigeons Cave where I used to dive off the ledge many years ago and climb back up the metal ladders that went from the beach to the ledge.  The first picture of the cave shows the cave on the left of the ledge the second one is looking down it. Pigeons Cave is a horizontal shaft on the left and there is an opening on the right that once had a ladder down to the beach.
There were quite a few people walking and cycling along the drive and it was nice to see the old Tourist Bus go past full of people.
It didn't take long to pass the lighthouse and I stopped at the cafe for a nice Latte and Bakewell Tart. Before long it was time to go and I hadn't gone far before my cap flew off and I was running down the road after it.  It just confirmed the reasons why I normally walk from the West Shore. The wind is usually on your back and you're never looking into the Sun.  The wind was howling by now so it was up the concrete road and along the wall of the farm until I came to the Church. Then down the tram track TO REACH MY CAR. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #474 on: October 09, 2011, 03:26:11 pm »
Great Orme Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #475 on: October 09, 2011, 03:28:05 pm »
Great Orme Walk

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #476 on: October 09, 2011, 07:26:29 pm »
My wife and I went up for a short walk on the North Wales Path above the Sychnant pass this afternoon and I came down feeling as if I'd had my face sandblasted by the really strong winds up there. No real views from the top, as the whole coastline  was shrouded in mis,t but it was just so enjoyable to get out on the hills after a few weeks away.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #477 on: October 09, 2011, 09:38:26 pm »
The machinery for the sea defence looked high and dry but the sea was calm today.   
Must have missed you by only a minute or two, Hugo!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #478 on: October 09, 2011, 11:12:19 pm »
Hugo, the burger van was in that field yesterday afternoon into which I was manipulated as a spectator for the Cambrian Rally and asked to part with £5 for the privilege.  $booboo$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #479 on: October 10, 2011, 09:27:12 am »
Dave, judging from the tides in our photos you must have been there before me.  I was there about 11.10am and the tide was on the turn then.

The Medz, the Orme was just as bad yesterday and when I passed by your place I had a look at that stone in the garden. Have you ever found out what it was and why it was left?    Maybe a present from EmmaP's relation at Rofft Bach perhaps!

Bri, hope you enjoyed every bit of that burger.  I was wondering why it was there and must say that you've been done well and truly. That van doesn't look like it's worth £5.00  let alone the burgers inside.