Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821511 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Walking
« Reply #435 on: June 30, 2011, 09:20:42 pm »
And I think Oscar was there yesterday. If you had known you could have perhaps gone on the same day and shared the travel costs!

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #436 on: June 30, 2011, 09:50:03 pm »
Sorry, looking at Oscar again, I think I might have misinterpreted his topic and perhaps he went somewhere else!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: June 30, 2011, 09:58:43 pm »
Thanks, Hugo.  :)

Stan, perhaps he was sitting next to me on the train and I never knew!  8)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2011, 02:12:40 am »
Thanks, Hugo.  :)

Stan, perhaps he was sitting next to me on the train and I never knew!  8)

:D

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #439 on: July 08, 2011, 12:40:55 pm »
Yesterday we travelled to the pretty village of Beddgelert where we met at the Goat Hotel for the start of our walk. We crossed over the railway track and headed uphill to Moel Hebog (Hill of the Falcon)  and followed the rough path up the north eastern ridge. There is some easy scrambling towards the top but the weather had turned and it was misty with a very strong and cold wind blowing directly at us.  Today there was going to be no marvellous view from the summit as the cloud was so low you just couldn't see anything at all.  We sheltered behind a dry stone wall while we had our refreshments but the wind was howling through the gaps in the wall, so much so that I had to put an extra fleece on as it was so cold.
We then descended very steeply down to the col between Moel Hebog and Moel Yr Ogof and then climbed up through a large cleft in the rocks to reach the summit of Moel Yr Ogof.  We resisted the temptation to visit Owain Glyndwr's Cave because of the adverse weather conditions and then set off for another climb to Moel Lefn.   There was an awkward descent down to Cwm Pennant and we had another break there before heading into the forest and following a long walk back to the Goat Hotel and our cars. On the way back home we stopped at the Bryn Tyrch in Capel Curig for a well deserved drink after our 7 hour walk!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #440 on: July 08, 2011, 12:43:05 pm »
Moel Hebog walk

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #441 on: July 11, 2011, 08:43:44 pm »
Gosh Hugo that fifth pic down makes it look a scary climb.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #442 on: July 14, 2011, 01:19:25 pm »
Only a short walk with the dog this morning, but the view was amazing.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #443 on: July 23, 2011, 12:01:44 pm »
Yesterday afternoon was a nice sunny day so we went for a circular walk from Meliden.   We crossed the St Melyd Golf Course using the Publc Footpath and noticed that the course was looking really good but strangely enough there was not one golfer playing on this lovely course!   At the other side we went into Bishop's Wood and started to climb upwards, The Fish Cave soon came into view and we ventured down it for a long way before coming back out again. The Fish Cave is actually an old Roman lead mine but so called because the spoil from the cave was chucked down the slope and the shape of the spoil resembled a fish!  Further up we came to the ruins of a small cottage with a plaque stating that a lead  miner lived there with his 9 children but sadly met his death when he fell in the nearby mines.    We carried on upwards having a great view of Prestatyn and the St Melyd Golf Course and came to the original well of the pretty village of Gwaenysgor.  We passed the pub The Eagle and Child but resisted the temptation to go inside for refreshments and went to the village pond to feed the Carp and numerous Ducks that lived there.
Then it was down to Dyserth via the Bryniau and Graig Fawr and we followed the river down to Dyserth Falls and on the way passing numerous man made caves and strange vegetation. The smell of wild Garlic was strong and we could hear the Buzzards calling as they soared in the sky above us. The falls are impressive but there was not a lot of water in the river today unlike times past when it has been thundering down and flooded the nearby properties and pubs.   We had a bit of a pull up the lane to reach the old disused Railway track which has now been tarmaced throughout it's length and it makes a perfect cycle and walking track now.   We continued down the track passing the disused lead mines until we reached the Golf Course again and made our way back to the car.  A lovely walk with a lot of local history to absorb.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #444 on: July 23, 2011, 12:04:57 pm »
Meliden Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #445 on: July 23, 2011, 12:07:51 pm »
Meliden - Dyserth walk

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #446 on: August 04, 2011, 09:22:54 am »
That looks like a good walk, I've often done the one  that starts at the top of Dyserth running towards Prestatyn through an old industrial works, as it's nice and level, wheelchair friendly  and shady on a hot day. The car park is handy and it also has a picnic table.
Where is the starting point in Meliden Hugo?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #447 on: August 04, 2011, 04:21:56 pm »
Are you talking about the disused Railway track from Dyserth to Prestatyn?  If you are then if you haven't seen it recently, then you will notice a big improvement as the surface is now coated with smooth wide tarmac. It's great to walk on and would be perfect for prams or wheelchairs too.
The walk we did started from St Melyd Golf Course which has a right of way across the fairways, but we crossed over the Railway track to reach Bishopswood. 
I have done a much shorter walk with a retired group and we got onto the Railway track at Ffordd Tanrallt (just past the bridge) Meliden and headed towards Dyserth passing the lead mines etc on the way.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #448 on: August 14, 2011, 09:29:26 am »
Yesterday we went to the Malltraeth car park to start the 8 and a half mile circular walk to Llanddwyn Island. We had only walked about 300 yards along the forest track when we noticed that there were dozens and dozens of  baby Frogs on the track. They were all no more than half an inch long and hopping everywhere, so for the next mile we had to walk carefully along the track watching out for these little creatures.    We then left the track and went onto the Malltraeth estuary and there we saw groups of Toads but far fewer in number than the Frogs.  The tide was high and on the ebb but the sea was quite rough and soon we reached the sand dunes and Llanddwyn Island with an expanding view of the Llyn Peninsula.  After a while we reached the Island and crossed the pillow lava formations and followed the footpath to the Pilot cottages but unfortunately they were closed today so we couldn't go inside to see the exhibition there. We had our refreshments in the shelter of the old lighthouse and put our fleeces on because the wind had picked up a bit. After that we had a walk around the island looking at the bigger lighthouse and the ruins of St Dwynwen's Monastery.
After we left the Island the tide had gone out so far we could see the wreck of an old wooden boat in the distance on the beach. On my last walk here in better weather conditions, I swam out to another shipwreck nearer the Island. It's a large metal boat in deep water and only the skeleton of it remains. The water was too rough to try it yesterday but I'm older and wiser so I don't think I'll do that again!
Coming off the Island we took the path on the left through the dunes until we came to the Forest track and then made our way through the Forest back to the car park. On the way back we stopped at Llewelyn's old palace in Newborough and then at a nice cafe/camp shop for a coffee and a great big chunk of coffee cake before making our way off Anglesey and to home.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #449 on: August 14, 2011, 09:32:09 am »
Llanddwyn Island walk