Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821208 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Walking
« Reply #420 on: June 20, 2011, 08:46:26 pm »
Yeahh... FIVE photos ...  Strange.  I have been blocked at four in the past.  

It's what you call Admin's priviledge!    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #421 on: June 20, 2011, 08:55:16 pm »
If you lot looked more closely instead of rushing to condemn, you'll see that the photos are just linked to from Flickr, not uploaded to the forum. Anyone can put unlimited numbers of photos in their posts if you link to them from an external website. Apologies all round, please...  :laugh:  WWW

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #422 on: June 20, 2011, 08:56:57 pm »
I accept your apology Dave.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #423 on: June 20, 2011, 09:19:41 pm »
Yep ok I accept your apology too  :laugh:

Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #424 on: June 26, 2011, 05:38:33 pm »
It was a cracking day for a walk today so it was shorts and T shirt weather and a walk on the Great Orme again.   Starting from the West Shore, I went along Invalids Walk but only as far as Ogof Arth and then it was straight up there to the sheep track.  Plenty of wild flowers and butterflies (mainly the small blue ones) up there today and I walked along the track passing Ffynnon Gogarth and Ffynnon Llygaid on the way. I was taking a photo of the Gogarth Tunnel when I heard a rumble ( and before anyone can say it, no it wasn't my tum! )  It's strange because that's the third time it has happened to me so it's not a coincidence.  The tunnel was bone dry but water was moving down iron pipes nearby (possibly from the Brammock rod pits ? )
Anyway I carried on to the Marine Drive passing Ffynnon Caseg and by that time the temperature was very hot so I stopped at the Rest and Be Thankful and had a lovely coffee and cake before carrying on across the road and up the slope. I was by Ffynnon Llety Madoc and noticed an enclosure but don't know what it is for unless it has something to do with the goats.
Above St Tudno's Church, I took a short cut through the bracken but had to keep my eye on the ground looking for nettles or anything else lurking there!  I was nearly through it when I noticed a stone with part of an inscription on. I just hope that it's not vandalism. By the Church I took the path past the old reservoir and Ffynnon Powell to the Pink Farm and continued to the Ski Lodge but just before I got there I dropped down to have a look at Ffynnon Gallog.   Returning to the Ski Lodge I walked down Wyddfyd Road with John who was walking his Donkeys down to the Beach as he and his family have done for generations. I crossed over at the Black Gate and visited Mike at his Great Orme Golf Course.  Mike was enjoying the hot weather and looked tanned and fit as usual. After a quick chat it was time to go down the zig zag path back to the car at West Shore.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #425 on: June 26, 2011, 05:41:24 pm »
Great Orme Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #426 on: June 26, 2011, 05:45:42 pm »
Great Orme Walk

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #427 on: June 26, 2011, 08:42:29 pm »
A friend and I did a similar walk on Thursday, apart from we came onto the Orme up through the Haulfre Woods. I was pleased to see that the Roman Well has recently been repaired. Still no water in it though!

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #428 on: June 26, 2011, 10:04:03 pm »
The stone with the inscription on it looks like part of a headstone from the cemetery.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #429 on: June 27, 2011, 07:27:54 pm »
The stone with the inscription on it looks like part of a headstone from the cemetery.

That was my first thought too. I did look around for the rest of the stone but couldn't see any other bits. I'll have a better look next time when I'm not wearing shorts! 

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #430 on: June 27, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »
Tanned and fit am I?  If I could walk half as far as you I would consider myself fit.  Nice to see you again even if it was only a brief chat.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #431 on: June 29, 2011, 06:57:15 pm »
I was in Chester today, having a wander round with the camera. Very busy with people but there were a noticeable number of empty shops, not so much at street level but lots at Row level where the footfall is much lower. Still, the whole city looked very smart, obviously great effort is made to keeping it looking so. An amazing choice of places to eat and drink, I'm sure it would take a year to get round them all.

Couple of photos:
1) I snuck into City Hall for a look round, fabulous building.
2) The HQ development, which has replaced the rather hideous 1970s Police Headquarters building.
3) Viscount Combermere has been defiled!
4) A pleasant backstreet, that always reminds me of the Hovis advert.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #432 on: June 29, 2011, 07:12:54 pm »
Couple more pics:
1) The immaculately maintained Grosvenor Park.
2) There are tame squirrels everywhere in the park, they will take food out of your hand.
3) A stroll along the City Walls is a must for every visit.
4) Looking down at Eastgate Street.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #433 on: June 29, 2011, 07:27:42 pm »
Last lot of photos:
1) There was some sort of Giant festival on...
2) A coffee and choc muffin in Starbucks was very welcome. Great coffee, lousy service.
3) Saint Ursula's.
4) Grosvenor Shopping Centre

Offline Hugo

« Reply #434 on: June 30, 2011, 07:43:50 pm »
Some great photos as usual Dave.    It sounds like you had a nice day there