Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821072 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #405 on: May 23, 2011, 09:26:54 am »
Aqueduct Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #406 on: May 30, 2011, 03:16:09 pm »
I was watching Countryfile on BBC 1 last night and Julia Bradbury was doing part of the Offa's Dyke walk.    It also showed people abseiling from Pontcysyllte to look for Bats underneath the Aqueduct.    :o
Chirk Castle was also featured as Offa's Dyke runs through the Chirk Estate, it was nice to watch after doing the walk last week.

Offline hollins

« Reply #407 on: May 30, 2011, 04:10:11 pm »
Hugo, Did you also see the Chelsea flower show programme where they interviewed the designers of "The Postcard from Wales" garden.
It was inspired by the location around Laugharne where you said you were expecting to visit soon.
There is a link to the programme here if you missed it.
http://www.laugharne.co.uk/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #408 on: May 30, 2011, 05:44:45 pm »
I did watch some of the Chelsea Flower Show but I missed the bit about The Postcard from Wales. I've just clicked on the link and watched it. Thanks very much for that Hollins, I enjoyed the garden and also seeing the views of Laugharne.
It won't be very long before I'm there so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for good weather.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #409 on: June 03, 2011, 12:52:20 pm »
Yesterday with a good weather forecast promised we decided to walk up Snowdon (3560 ft) via the Watkin Path.  It's a long walk with an ascent of over 3400 ft. so we knew that we had a long day ahead of us.   We quickly walked through the Oak woodland to the start of the path which snaked its way up the hillside, passing on the way the waterfalls of Afon Cwm Llan, the old watermill and a ruined building and soon arrived at Gladstone's rock where we stopped to read the inscription on it.  From there we carried on to the slate tips of the old quarry.
After that the path steepens quite considerably. We were lucky at this point as the cloud cover above meant that it wasn't unbearable walking up this steep section but at the Lliwedd the cover lifted and it became quite hot.  We stopped there for refreshments and to admire the views before we tackled what was the worst and hardest part of the route.which was the steep,loose and very difficult path to the summit.
We slowly, in fact very slowly walked up this difficult stretch in the baking hot sun and we were glad to get to the top where we sat and had a drink and watched the world go by as it was teeming with people taking advantage of the weather like us. From the ridge, the view to the North was just of white fluffy clouds like you'd see from a plane but the Southern view was clear and breathtaking.
A quick visit to the Summit Cafe to replenish our water and we were going down the ridge to Bwlch Cwm Llan where we descended steeply to a disused railway track and followed it down to the start of our walk. It was then back through the cool woodland to the cafe at the start of the walk and enjoyed a nice coffee there. Coming home we also stopped at the Bryn Tyrch in Capel Curig for a refreshing shandy and drank it by the side of the Afon Lligwy.   A nice end to a great day out on the hills

Offline Hugo

« Reply #410 on: June 03, 2011, 12:55:24 pm »
Snowdon Walk via Watkin Path

Offline Hugo

« Reply #411 on: June 03, 2011, 01:05:10 pm »
Snowdon via Watkin Path

Offline Trojan

« Reply #412 on: June 04, 2011, 04:41:13 pm »
There were a lot of cigarette butts outside the cafe last time I was up there. Have they provided ashtray's yet?  8)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #413 on: June 04, 2011, 04:59:03 pm »
A great walk and some great photos, Hugo.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #414 on: June 06, 2011, 01:41:10 pm »
Yesterday we decided to do the Crowning Glory walk starting from the pretty village of Cilcain.  I hadn't done the walk before so I wasn't sure what to expect. Although it was a cooler day yesterday I had shorts on but I didn't expect so many nettles and stiles on the first part of the route!   I thought that the choice of clothes may have been a mistake but then the walk opened up and we were soon walking through woods and open undulating farm land and seeing ruins of old farmhouses on the way.
Our aim was to go to Moel Arthur, one of the finest hillforts in the area and before too long we reached the hill fort and stopped a while to have a drink and something to eat. Visibility was poor and it prevented us from having the commanding views from this hillside.  We then had a steep descent into the valley and  a steeper ascent up Offa's Dyke Path on the other side of the valley. Once up on the other side it was a level ridge walk until we left the footpath and walked back to Cilcain going past the Reservoir on the way down. There were a number of people fishing there but you could see that the water level was very low for the time of year. We then followed the lane which was steep in places back to the village and ended the walk with a pint in the White Horse Inn before setting off for home. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #415 on: June 06, 2011, 01:43:31 pm »
Cilcain Walk

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #416 on: June 17, 2011, 04:20:49 pm »
I had a great walk around the outside of the RSPB yesterday. Not too long quite flat and easy going but great views and free.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #417 on: June 20, 2011, 06:15:18 pm »
Went for a wander around Caernarfon on Sunday - it's certainly improved a lot in recent years. I've resisted the temptation to include any photos of the Castle!

Caernarfon - June 2011 by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #418 on: June 20, 2011, 08:08:04 pm »
Some great pics there Dave....all 5 of them.  I especially like the fifth one.  I've been to Caernarfon lots of times and never noticed those buildings before.  ;D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #419 on: June 20, 2011, 08:31:45 pm »
Yeahh... FIVE photos ...  Strange.  I have been blocked at four in the past.  

Let me see children, Shall we sk the Count? ...
How many photo's?.....ONE, TWO...THREE, FOUR .....FIVE !!   HA HA....

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -