Author Topic: Walking  (Read 834314 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #375 on: April 29, 2011, 06:10:39 pm »
Our third and final walk was a delightful woodland walk where we walked through the heavily scented bluebell woods. After a fairly short walk we reached the the viewpoint of Cadair Ifan Goch (Red John's Chair) which takes it's name from a legendary giant who is said to sat there.  This is one of the finest viewpoints in the area and at almost 500 feet above the valley you are treated to a wide panorama in both directions.
We sat there for a while admiring the view and watching the buzzard fly overhead. There are also Goshawks and Red Kites in this area although we never saw them today.
Retracing our steps back to the car park we were lucky enough to see a small and fairly tame rabbit happily munching away at the grass.
A lovely walk with the Bluebells at their best, well worth a visit now Blodau.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #376 on: April 29, 2011, 06:14:16 pm »
Cadair Ifan Goch

Offline Hugo

« Reply #377 on: April 29, 2011, 06:17:14 pm »
Cadair Ifan Goch

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #378 on: April 29, 2011, 07:17:07 pm »
Wonderful, Hugo.

Please keep them coming.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #379 on: May 02, 2011, 05:35:56 am »
Yes, great Hugo, however, I have a sharp feeling of Hiraeth coming on.  :'(

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #380 on: May 02, 2011, 08:17:17 am »
Ah!  There's always a Welcome in them there hillsides!    $walesflag$   $walesflag$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #381 on: May 02, 2011, 10:22:22 am »
You go for some excellent walks Hugo and I love your pictures.  ;D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

« Reply #382 on: May 03, 2011, 05:53:36 pm »
I enjoyed the short walk from the National Trust car park to the viewpoint of Cadair Ifan Goch so much that I did it again today. My wife and I walked through the Bluebell wood and the scent from the flowers was delightful as we made our way to the viewpoint. The visibility today was clearer than before but I couldn't persuade my wife to take in the vista as the height put her off!
The viewpoint is directly above the Plas Maenan Hotel so it gave us an excuse to have a nice coffee afterwards in lovely surroundings.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #383 on: May 03, 2011, 05:55:31 pm »
Cadair Ifan Goch and Plas Maenan Hotel

Offline Hugo

« Reply #384 on: May 04, 2011, 02:36:43 pm »
Thanks Pendragon,  I must admit that I've enjoyed your walks and photos too and they have given me a great insight into Pen and Llanfair.  I didn't realise that the towns had so many interesting things to see as my walks were always above the quarries and I missed those things you photographed.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #385 on: May 04, 2011, 06:00:25 pm »
Today I was bored so I grabbed my camera and went for a walk around the RSPB nature reserve.   I've never been there before well not all the way round.  I saw lot's of different birds although I have to say I haven't a clue what species they were apart from the obvious ones like Herons and Ducks with their chicks. The chicks made me giggle as the mother had swam upstream round a corner and the chicks were trying to catch up, bless, as soon as she was in sight they rose up in the water and paddled their little feet like mini water wheels as fast as they could to reach her.
The views are fantastic.  It was a perfect day as the sun was shining and the water on the estuary was still, birds of all descriptions flying round and you could hear many different bird songs.  It's quite busy there too, lot's of people with cameras and binoculars milling round.  I must apologize for the photo of the horses I didn't want to distract them from eating, they were a bit close for my liking to be honest, horses don't really like me if past experience is anything to go by, I've never had a safe ride, they either won't go or refuse to stop, I've been kicked bitten and chased by the bloody creatures!   Hubby forgot his sandwiches for work this morning, so I munched them sat on a bench and walked home.  I had a really nice afternoon  ;D

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #386 on: May 04, 2011, 06:05:20 pm »
I noticed while walking today these purple plants, they reminded me of when I was a child and we'd sit in the woods at the back of our house in Pen.  We called them sugar thistles as we used to pull on the purple petals leaves? and suck the bottom of the shoots, they were very sweet, I didn't feel the need to have a go today mind.

Offline hollins

« Reply #387 on: May 04, 2011, 09:26:23 pm »
The viewpoint is directly above the Plas Maenan Hotel so it gave us an excuse to have a nice coffee afterwards in lovely surroundings.
I was so pleased to see what the Plas Maenan was like. I have driven past so many times and wondered about it. The verandha looks so tempting! I looked it up on tripadvisor after looking at your pictures and it gets some good reviews. Thanks.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #388 on: May 04, 2011, 10:03:41 pm »
Hubby and I went to a wedding reception there and it was an excellent venue.  Really nice place with spectacular views.  I told Hubby next time I get married that's where I'm having the reception  _))*

Offline Trojan

« Reply #389 on: May 05, 2011, 04:51:10 am »
Hubby and I went to a wedding reception there and it was an excellent venue.  Really nice place with spectacular views.  I told Hubby next time I get married that's where I'm having the reception  _))*

:laugh: