Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820871 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #360 on: April 15, 2011, 11:58:01 am »
Three Towns Walk

I love walking by the sea and over the years I have managed to walk the whole of the Cornish section of the south west coast path but one day last June I managed to persuade my husband to leave the gardening for a few hours to undertake a coast walk closer to home.
We parked the car at the furthest end of the promenade at Old Colwyn (apologies if I do not get the place names right) with a view to walking to Llandudno.
We only got as far as Fortes cafe in Rhos before succumbing to fish and chips.
Then on past the wonderful St Trillos chapel that neither of us knew about before.
Then we walked through the bungalows and found the path up to the Little Orme where the views were superb looking back the way we had come.
We descended to Llandudno and walked along the promenade hoping to find a taxi to take us back to the start. I suggested the taxi phone at Asda but there was half an hour wait so we walked around to the station and a lovely chap took us back to our car measuring the trip on the way, a surprising 7 miles but a lovely day out.
We couldn’t resist ending a seaside day out with an ice cream soda at Fortes again.

Offline hollins

« Reply #361 on: April 15, 2011, 11:59:45 am »
Part 2

Offline hollins

« Reply #362 on: April 15, 2011, 12:00:50 pm »
Part 3

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #363 on: April 17, 2011, 04:32:14 pm »
Nice walks, Hollins and Hugo. 'You've all done very well', as Young Mr.Grace used to say on 'Are You Being Served?'.  $yes$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #364 on: April 17, 2011, 04:51:40 pm »
Too nice a day not to go for a walk today, so headed over to the excellent Tides Bistro on the beach in Llanddulas for a coffee, then walked up through the woods along one of the old carriage drives to Gwrych Castle. As Merddin Emrys had said, security had been beefed up significantly there, with lots of shiny new metal fencing and even a security guard on duty. He didn't see me, so I didn't trouble him whilst I had a look around, took a few photos, and then headed back down the other carriage drive towards Abergele. The caravan park by the castle gates now has various rare miniature breeds of pigs, goats and sheep wandering around. The pigs were very friendly and loved having their backs scratched. Then into Abergele itself for a refreshing drink and sandwich at the Coffee Rooms - recommended!

1) Security guard at Gwrych Castle
2) Looking down at Gwrych Castle
3) Looking across the frontage of Gwrych Castle
4) Looking back at Gwrych Castle

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #365 on: April 17, 2011, 04:58:07 pm »
Assorted animals, seen at the Farm/Caravan Park at Gwrych Castle Gates:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #366 on: April 18, 2011, 12:34:28 am »
As Merddin Emrys had said, security had been beefed up significantly there, with lots of shiny new metal fencing and even a security guard on duty. He didn't see me, so I didn't trouble him whilst I had a look around, took a few photos, and then headed back down the other carriage drive towards Abergele.

_))* _))* _))*

Offline Hugo

« Reply #367 on: April 20, 2011, 09:29:52 am »
Our retirement group had a short walk yesterday starting at the Junction flyover, we walked along the cob into Conwy and turned left after the Castle and walked through the archway and over the Gyffin stream.  After going past the eyesore that was previously Billingtons we took the public footpath on our left and walked up the steep field to Benarth Woods.  After just that short walk the view was good but the views got better as we travelled through the woods and to higher ground where the mast is.  The woodland was full of flowers and the Bluebells looked nice but had reached their peak and were starting to die out. We did have an expert on flowers with us and he rattled off all the names but I couldn't have been paying much attention because I could only remember one name Blodyn Y Gwynt (Wind Flower)    :-[ :-[
At the trig point we took some photos and then descended past the farm with the mast and down into Gyffin where we took the path alongside the stream to the car park and then through the tunnel into the centre of Conwy. From there it was just a short walk to the Pen Y Bryn to finish the walk with a coffee and a slice of cake.   :)
When we had finished there we all got our bus passes out and caught the bus back to the Afon Conwy where we had left our cars.  It was another pleasant walk on a lovely sunny day.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #368 on: April 20, 2011, 09:32:09 am »
Conwy walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #369 on: April 20, 2011, 09:35:11 am »
Conwy walk

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #370 on: April 20, 2011, 09:39:12 am »
I remember doing that walk, must have been about the same time last year as there were bluebells everywhere in Benarth Woods. I remember that walk up the field from Billingtons to Benarth Woods is a killer on the legs...

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #371 on: April 20, 2011, 10:40:43 am »
The bluebells look lovely, Hugo.  I'll put a picture of boldyn y gwynt in the wildflowers thread. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #372 on: April 29, 2011, 05:38:27 pm »
Today we had three nice and varied walks and we started off going up Pen Y Gaer an Iron Age hillfort high above the village of Llanbedr Y Cennin. After parking the car we crossed the fields and climbed up to the hillfort. The fort has commanding views of the Conwy Valley but today visibility was poor and misty but we could imagine how nice it would be on a clear day.  It was so peaceful up there with only the sound of the Cuckoo and pheasants and skylarks to break up the silence.
We came down to find the style blocked by a friendly pony and after he let us pass we went further down to see an unusual rock formation composed of hexagonal columns.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #373 on: April 29, 2011, 05:40:50 pm »
Pen Y Gaer walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #374 on: April 29, 2011, 05:52:55 pm »
We left Pen Y Gaer and headed for the Bwlch Y Ddeufaen car park and then walked over the Roman Road through the pass of the two standing stones.  The wind picked up so we put on our fleeces and continued walking on the road until we were above Llanfairfechan and stopped there to have a drink and eat our sandwiches. The road has puddles in places and you could see the tadploes swimming about in them.
The old Roman Road is just south of the present road and is still visible in parts. We had intended to see the Roman milestone in Llanfairfechan but cut the walk short as it became so cold and very windy.
We then made our way to our third and final walk of the day at Cadair Ifan Goch in Maenan