Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820995 times)

brumbob

Re: Walking
« Reply #345 on: April 02, 2011, 03:48:01 pm »
Think I've just found your actual stone marker  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 04:54:50 pm by Ian »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #346 on: April 03, 2011, 05:46:32 pm »
Thanks for that Bob, do you know what the initials stand for, or when it was put there? Or where I can find out?

Likin the little picture too  :D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

brumbob

« Reply #347 on: April 03, 2011, 06:28:18 pm »
Haven't got a clue Pen  ???
probably a church parish boundary stone with the C standing for Conwy

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #348 on: April 04, 2011, 10:29:14 am »
I stumbled across this strange little grave stone.

Typical I always get it wrong  ;D  we'll call that yet another Angiegram.  Gravestone tut tut
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: April 04, 2011, 10:35:19 am »
Angiegram

Love it!  _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #350 on: April 05, 2011, 04:41:33 am »
It's a boundary stone, here's a pic of another one that is located on St. David's Place in Llandudno. The stone is partially buried with only the upper section being visible. This stone is inscribed with the letters 'E R'.

:)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #351 on: April 09, 2011, 04:47:15 pm »
It was a beautiful warm day yesterday as we set out to do a walk from Tanygrisiau but before going there we had a trip down the Deep Mine at the Blaenau Ffestiniog slate quarry.  It was an incredible experience to see inside the mine but I'm glad that I didn't have to work in those conditions.
After that we drove up to Tanygrisiau and climbed up the slate track until we came to Cwm Orthin and at the lakeside we had some refreshments and watched the Trout rise in the lake to take the flies that were flying just on the surface of the water. The valley was quiet apart from the sound of four Canada Geese that were at the far end of the lake.  We set again to walk along the lake looking at the numerous ruined buildings all around and the piles of waste slate that was littered everywhere.  In it's heyday it must have been a close and thriving community and the ruins of the Chapel were near to the shore.  The weather was perfect today, sunny and warm with no wind but we thought about the people who must have worked there in the past. This remote location must have been very hostile for most of the time and the conditions inside the mines dreadful.
We reached the end of the lake and started a steep climb to Rhosydd Quarry where the remains of the barracks can still be seen. From there we climbed to the Ridge where we had distant views to Cadair Idris and beyond and to Northern Snowdonia. On our descent to the start of the walk we came across dozens of mines none of them fenced off and all creating a potential hazard to anyone so we didn't venture too far inside.  A tricky slow sescent down the slate scree and we were then back to our starting place and back home.   Another good walk but the weather conditions made all the difference, I wouldn't fancy it on a wet and windy day.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #352 on: April 09, 2011, 04:49:31 pm »
Cwm Orthin - Rhosydd Quarry walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #353 on: April 09, 2011, 04:52:24 pm »
Cwm Orthin - Rhosydd Quarry walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #354 on: April 09, 2011, 04:55:25 pm »
Cwm Orthin -  Rhosydd Quarry walk

www.cwmorthin.co.uk/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #355 on: April 14, 2011, 04:58:34 pm »
I thought that I'd have a walk around the Great Orme again today and set off from the West Shore around the Marine Drive. The first thing I noticed was by the cattle grid and that the wooden gate on the right was burnt and it looked like it had been done some time ago.  Carrying on I had to take care when a very large vehicle was having to reverse back to the West Shore.
I stopped to take a photo of the steps of Miriam Jones Gogarth Tea Rooms and had a quick look inside the ruins. The waters of Ffynnon Gogarth were flowing freely as I passed by and I stopped to take a photo of the plot of land for sale. (£700K  asking price)    The sound of putting down my rucksac disturbed a young red Fox and it walked quickly down the garden path before I could get my camera out.   :(
I then walked to the far end of the gunsite as far as Hornby Cove and then up the steep slope to the Marine Drive. It's so steep I had to walk on my toes most of the way and it was hot and hard work doing so.
At the Marine Drive I was contemplating going down to "The Hiding Cave"  but a notice said not to go down the cliffs at this point until 31st July because of breeding sea birds.   I could see the Rest and Be Thankful in the distance so it was no contest anyway and I opted for a nice latte and delicious Almond tart instead
After having charged up the old batteries I headed up the concrete road, passing the Monk's Path and taking the next sheep track down on the right.  There has definitely been a lack of rainfall recently as the path was cracked and dry in it's entire length.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #356 on: April 14, 2011, 05:01:35 pm »
Great Orme Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #357 on: April 14, 2011, 05:03:08 pm »
Great Orme Walk

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #358 on: April 14, 2011, 07:29:14 pm »
Some great pics, Hugo.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #359 on: April 15, 2011, 11:22:15 am »
Thanks Dave, it was a fairly short walk but there's always something new to see on the Orme.