Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821460 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Walking
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2011, 03:54:26 am »
You really should have an "observer" in the boat as well as the driver when water skiing!     $walesflag$

Why is that Yorkie?

Maybe for the driver to read whilst waiting for the skier to get back on his/her skis?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2011, 11:51:53 am »
On Thursday we set off down to the Llyn Peninsula to have a walk up to Yr Eifl but when we drove up the lane leading to the car park at the start of the route, visibility dropped to about 15 yards due to the sea mist. We opted for Plan B and went for a coastal walk from Morfa Nefyn to Porth Dinllaen and back.
It was a pleasant walk along the sandy beach but rounding the point was rocky and you had to be careful on the slippery rocks.   Porth Dinllaen came into view and the first part of the beach was pebbly but the remainder was a nice sandy stretch. On our way we passed the crumbling sandy cliffs which are home to dozens of Sandmartins in the Summer months.  The pub Ty Coch looked inviting as we passed by but was closed so we carried on our way up to and across the Golf Course. For any Golfer that course must be a challenge as the fairways are narrow and there is no room for any wayward shots!    We returned to the car along the road and as we were driving home the mist had cleared a bit on "The Rivals" so we decided to go up to Tre'r Ceiri ( The Giant's Town in Welsh) it is one of the best Iron Age forts in Europe and has the remains of 150 huts within the fort. The location is spectacular as are the views (when it's not misty) and we were glad that we made the effort to go up there as some of the group had not seen the fort before and were very impressed with it.   After looking around the site we made our way back to the car back and as we got there we looked back and the summit was as clear as a bel!!      :(

Offline Hugo

« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2011, 11:53:35 am »
Porth Dinllaen

Offline Hugo

« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2011, 11:55:15 am »
Tre'r Ceiri

Offline Hugo

« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2011, 11:56:39 am »
Tre'r Ceiri

brumbob

« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2011, 08:18:34 pm »
WOW, great Hugo  $cool$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2011, 08:19:48 pm »
Great walk and photos, Hugo.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: March 20, 2011, 03:55:58 pm »
Decided to venture out for a walk being as the weather was so pleasant today. We parked in the Pen Y Bryn pub above Colwyn Bay and headed round through the network of paths in the Pwllycrochan Woods, then up Nant Y Glyn Valley and back up Honeysuckle Lane . Then across into Hafodty Lane (aka the 'Road to Manderley') past yet another batch of very expensive new houses to 'The View'. Came back round in a circle to end up back at the Pen Y Bryn.

Photo 1 - Looking across to Old Colwyn from Nant Y Glyn Valley
Photo 2 - One of the new born Lambs checks us out
Photo 3 - Road to Manderley
Photo 4 - View across to the Conwy Estuary from 'The View'

Offline Hugo

« Reply #293 on: March 20, 2011, 05:45:43 pm »
Great walk and photos Dave.  I've not done the Nant Y Glyn Valley walk I'm ashamed to say even though I've lived there for 25 years!
You'll remember the house Manderley when it was set in it's own large garden.  It was very impressive then, but those new houses are not selling too well.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: March 20, 2011, 06:51:11 pm »
Great walk and photos Dave.  I've not done the Nant Y Glyn Valley walk I'm ashamed to say even though I've lived there for 25 years!
You'll remember the house Manderley when it was set in it's own large garden.  It was very impressive then, but those new houses are not selling too well.
I think its a shame that Manderley has had all those new 'executive homes' stuck in its garden. But at least the old house has been preserved instead of being knocked down, I suppose?

I noticed this large new house, 'Moonflower', under construction on Copthorn Road . Great views across to Llandudno:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #295 on: March 21, 2011, 09:00:57 am »
I wouldn't mind that plot of land next to it either.  Great views all around from there now.   Prior to planning application they chopped down the Oak trees at the bottom of the garden and that gave the two plots that beautiful view.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #296 on: March 24, 2011, 05:09:49 pm »
What a beautiful warm day it was in Llandudno today.It was T-shirt weather and I was in such a hurry to have a walk on the Orme that I rushed out without my map Secrets of the Great Orme.  I had intended to look for some mines on the map but instead I made my own route over it.   Starting from Invalids Walk I noticed what appeared to be a wall at the top of the slope above the path so I headed for it but once up there I couldn't see why it was built unless it was some type of retaining wall. From there I followed the lower sheep track which is just above Cust's Path and made my way along until I came to the Gogarth Tunnel which I was surprised to find completely dry. A few yards further on however water was freely flowing from a cracked pipe probably fed from Ffynnon Gogarth which always seems to have a regular flow of water.  The stone circle was still visible in Abbey Lodge and I think that it is just modern landscaping because the site of the reputed stone circle is about 3 or 4 doors further on.
A quick walk down to the Rest and be Thankful where I enjoyed a lovely coffee and slice of Cherry Bakewell. The cafe and car park were full and it was nice to see so many people enjoying themselves and making the most of the weather.   I  then walked down the Marine Drive to St Tudno's Church and to the half way tram station where I met a friend who was a tram driver. After that it was down to Mike's Golf Course where he was busy getting the course ready for it's opening on 1st April although Mike tells me that people have been playing there already. The course was getting it's first cut and looks like it will be in good condition for it's opening day. Good luck Mike for this coming season.   I then walked to the zig zag path, just stopping to watch the goats eating the Gorse.   The sweet smell of the gorse flowers wafted in the air as I made my way back to the West Shore

Offline Hugo

« Reply #297 on: March 24, 2011, 05:12:55 pm »
Great Orme Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #298 on: March 24, 2011, 05:14:54 pm »
Great Orme Walk

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #299 on: March 24, 2011, 05:31:18 pm »
Excellent Hugo.
You can clearly see the mist down in the bay,  which hung around all day, it meant that the sun never got too strong today, but was still nice and warm.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -